Official NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 12 Discussion

MopOfVirtue

First time to watch a Wrestle Kingdom event and I have to question myself why only now. I should have started watching this in the past years.

Also as posted in the past NJPW has a great production. The camera angles tells a story and action shots are done nicely.

But there are some things they need to improve like when they show the crew cleaning the powder used by Scurll and the Money from Okada's entrance. Also the Referee Red Shoes blatantly getting the blade in his pocket and handing it over to Kenny Omega. He can see himself in the big screen that he is currently in focus but does it anyway. And the production did not even bother changing camera angles.

Still other than my gripes I really like the event. Even though I don't know some of the wrestlers.

Almost all matches were pure gold. Lance Archer spitting water to the audience was f'n funny.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WK was the first time he did that gimmick, he was just a regular black trunks young lion before that. Spent most of last year out with a leg injury. I think he didn't have the face paint on New Year's Dash.

Oh yeah Killer Elite Squad were pretty cool. I had no idea their gimmick was basically beat the shit out of everyone. Plus Lance pulling like 20 water bottles out of his pants to spit at people was hilarious. Mustve had deep pockets lol

I was laughing my ass off when he kept taking water bottles out of his ass. His promos when Evil and Sanada won the tag league and the day before WK were pretty good. 'Good job on winning the Tag League. At Wrestle Kingdom you die.'. I'm actually looking forward to rematches.

You and me both. That was the first KES match that I can say I wholeheartedly enjoyed.

For those of you who have AXS TV and don't mind JR and Josh Barnett's commentary, they're airing WK12 tonight in about 2 hours. It's only 3 hours long though so I'm not sure if they shortened it or if it's just part 1 and part 2 airs next week.

I liked Jay White vs. Tanahashi. Especially because White seemingly had a counter for everything, but screwed himself over by wanting to get in Tanahashi's face too much. Gives the feeling that if he focused on the match the entire time, he would've won. Almost like the first Okada vs. Tanahashi-bout.

Also, speaking of Okada, I like his pants.

Also, Naito didn't win. Sad now.

The second NJPW show I've sat through properly and I thoroughly enjoyed it. A big part of that was NewLegacyInc's commentary, but the show was good fun. Didn't care about most of the undercard, but Jericho/Omega and Naito/Okada had me hooked. Never been a huge Jericho fan, but I was loving everything he did.

My best friend isnt a huge Jericho fan either and he said the same thing. Sweet.

Though I don't think it's highs were as good as 10 or 11, WK12 was still fantastic and arguable more consistent throughout than both shows. The four way and Omega/Jericho (which completely destroyed my expectations) will likely set the tone for the rest of the year as they were both incredible matches, with Okada/Naito and Goto/Suzuki sitting right underneath them.

Naito's loss was certainly shocking but I thought the execution was brilliant. Dude desperately wanted to one-up Okada at his own game and bottled it.

Someone pointed this out and it's really awesome. In Ibushi vs Cody, after Ibushi hit the knee, which he used to be Tanahashi and others in the G1, he went for the Phoenix Splash and hit it for the win. Naito spent the whole match trying to go for the Stardust Press and never could get it, that's what ended up costing him. In an interview I think before the Dome, Ibushi said 'Naito's ascent will stall'.

Reminds me of that one Naito-vid I saw, about how his revenge could be split up in threes:

1. Missing out on the IWGP Heavyweight Championship after his first Climax-win. He already won that one.

2. Hiroshi Tanahashi and the IC Title. He beat Tanahashi at WK11 and disrespected the IC-title every chance he got.

3. Getting the final match main event-slot at the Tokyo Dome, which was taken from him in 2015. Or 14. He secured that before the match started.

So he basically had already come full circle and didn't really need a win to go along with it. Maybe he lost his grudge because of it and maybe that's why he went all Stardust Genius-esque on us. Did he even spit on Okada? Or Gedo?

Reminds me of that one Naito-vid I saw, about how his revenge could be split up in threes:

1. Missing out on the IWGP Heavyweight Championship after his first Climax-win. He already won that one.

2. Hiroshi Tanahashi and the IC Title. He beat Tanahashi at WK11 and disrespected the IC-title every chance he got.

3. Getting the final match main event-slot at the Tokyo Dome, which was taken from him in 2015. Or 14. He secured that before the match started.

So he basically had already come full circle and didn't really need a win to go along with it. Maybe he lost his grudge because of it and maybe that's why he went all Stardust Genius-esque on us. Did he even spit on Okada? Or Gedo?

Yeah he spat a couple of times on Okada througout the match.

Here are my ratings. I wouldn't give Omega/Jericho a 5 either, and I was in the dome. I'd definitely give the Jr. HW title match a 5 though. I was thoroughly invested in that match.

Rumble - 1.5

Bucks vs. R3K - 4

Gauntlet Match - 2.5

Ibushi vs. Cody - 4.25

KES vs. LIJ - 3.75

Suzuki vs. Goto - 4.5

Scurll vs. Kushida vs. Ospreay vs. Takahashi - 5

Tanahashi vs. White - 3.5

Omega vs. Jericho - 4.75

Naito vs. Okada - 4.75

Archived