The GMPorium - 2K18 Edition (Brandon X logos addressed page 7)

CROSS-Out

Brandon X is your primary, and as with most other creators' primary wrestlers, he gets nurtured more than others creations, so he's naturally your best creation. But I think the concept of Astor Raine is the most fascinating.

However, I have issue with Tarek Arafa and his cardboard cutout personality. Honestly, he's as cliche as it gets. "The arrogant rich guy" is a basic description of him. If a character can be summed up in a short description, he's not very well fleshed out. To reinforce this point, every other detail about him hammers in the fact he's from Egypt, as if that's the only notable characteristic about him.

Here's some advice for creating characters. Simply ask yourself: how long do I imagine that guy lasting in a real promotion like WWE? Compare him to other characters in WWE or TNA that used a cookie-cutter stereotype character. How long did they last? I'll give you an example or two.

1) Damien Sandow played an "intelligent arrogant" character. I predicted he's only last 2 years. Unfortunately for him, he lasted much longer, allowing himself to descend down to a joke before getting released. There was nothing special about him to begin with other than his sole characteristic of having a higher intellect. He was a character that everyone subconsciously was aware of or had already saw somewhere else, and consequently, everything he did was never seen as compelling.

2) Chuck Palumbo temporarily used a "biker" character (which is an extension of his personal life), and as expected, it didn’t last long. When playing the biker character, all the was really defined him was that he enjoyed riding bikes and building them in his spare time. TNA’s Aces & Eights faction did better but didn’t last. And all members of A’s & 8’s had their personalities confined inside a gimmick of a biker, which made them stale as individuals in the ring.

So maybe take some time to add more other ideas to the characters to flesh them out.

One last piece of advice is a saying I always utilize when creating characters. It goes, "A character it defined by their actions not backstory." That means characters are how the behave... not by where they've been, where they're from, or their past. That's not to say the past can't alter who they are now. But useless details really don't matter. I never provide backstories for my own characters because it's what they do presently that truly matters. In addition to that, it requires way too much effort to write a backstory that no one will remember anyway.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brandon X is your primary, and as with most other creators' primary wrestlers, he gets nurtured more than others creations, so he's naturally your best creation. But I think the concept of Astor Raine is the most fascinating.

However, I have issue with Tarek Arafa and his cardboard cutout personality. Honestly, he's as cliche as it gets. "The arrogant rich guy" is a basic description of him. If a character can be summed up in a short description, he's not very well fleshed out. To reinforce this point, every other detail about him hammers in the fact he's from Egypt, as if that's the only notable characteristic about him.

Here's some advice for creating characters. Simply ask yourself: how long do I imagine that guy lasting in a real promotion like WWE? Compare him to other characters in WWE or TNA that used a cookie-cutter stereotype character. How long did they last? I'll give you an example or two.

1) Damien Sandow played an "intelligent arrogant" character. I predicted he's only last 2 years. Unfortunately for him, he lasted much longer, allowing himself to descend down to a joke before getting released. There was nothing special about him to begin with other than his sole characteristic of having a higher intellect. He was a character that everyone subconsciously was aware of or had already saw somewhere else, and consequently, everything he did was never seen as compelling.

2) Chuck Palumbo temporarily used a "biker" character (which is an extension of his personal life), and as expected, it didn’t last long. When playing the biker character, all the was really defined him was that he enjoyed riding bikes and building them in his spare time. TNA’s Aces & Eights faction did better but didn’t last. And all members of A’s & 8’s had their personalities confined inside a gimmick of a biker, which made them stale as individuals in the ring.

So maybe take some time to add more other ideas to the characters to flesh them out.

One last piece of advice is a saying I always utilize when creating characters. It goes, "A character it defined by their actions not backstory." That means characters are how the behave... not by where they've been, where they're from, or their past. That's not to say the past can't alter who they are now. But useless details really don't matter. I never provide backstories for my own characters because it's what they do presently that truly matters. In addition to that, it requires way too much effort to write a backstory that no one will remember anyway.

I dont think he was asking for pointers

Indeed I was not, certainly not on a character i've made for 3 years now and that multiple people here have used and enjoyed; and certainly not considering I have all character development happen in-game.

I understand. You guys are unaccustomed to criticism. But I'm an honest person, so I have a habit of not kissing ass if I'm unimpressed.

Regardless, if anyone asks or doesn't, it's there for a reason. If I see someone has potential, I'll do what I can to help them out. Criticism is my gift to you.

Wow. Talk about pretentious. I haven't rolled my eyes that hard in a long time, and I frequent the 2K18 section regularly. Not wasting any more time on this silliness.

Anyway, to those who are waiting on him, i'm in the middle of working on Damian Webb. Hit a bit of a snag since they for some idiotic reason made Tatankas belt entrance only this year, but I got around that using a bottoms part with a similar look. Now I just have to go through the hell of remembering his moveset. :lol:

Moving on from the shitposter disguise.

Quick teaser of Damian Webb, now that his physical appearance is done (finally. had to go back into 2K17 twice to check certain things on him).

rmZzkpr.jpg

You've done a good job of using the Ascension tights, but making them look like trunks with a tabbard.

Not using their tights, the bottoms I used were this weird wrap around belt like thing, and the trunks I use were the same ones I used for him last year. I try to avoid using the Ascensions tights as placing logos on them last year was a living breathing hell.

You've done a good job of using the Ascension tights, but making them look like trunks with a tabbard.

Not using their tights, the bottoms I used were this weird wrap around belt like thing, and the trunks I use were the same ones I used for him last year. I try to avoid using the Ascensions tights as placing logos on them last year was a living breathing hell.

I feel your pain - I remember trying to put logos on the Uso's shorts with the flaps.

When downloaded Asher smith, Brandon X and Lilith Duncan they miss logos and tattoos. No idea whats going on they downloaded as invisible, tried a couple times but no go.

Alright, that's the third report i've gotten of that happening. Dafuq 2K?

When downloaded Asher smith, Brandon X and Lilith Duncan they miss logos and tattoos. No idea whats going on they downloaded as invisible, tried a couple times but no go.

I know right, no idea where they messed up, its only for certain uploads in your case all 3 but with others its either hit or miss. Hope they can get it fixed because your creations look amazing. Will download them again when its fixed for sure

I know right, no idea where they messed up, its only for certain uploads in your case all 3 but with others its either hit or miss. Hope they can get it fixed because your creations look amazing. Will download them again when its fixed for sure

So it's not just mine that are doing it then? Alright, clearly somethings wrong with the server then. I'll send our resident guy a message about it and hope it gets fixed up sooner or later.

Brandon X is the main one I'm after of yours that I currently can't download xD

Unfortunately it looks like we'll just have to wait for 2K to fix the problem. I've uploaded him twice and in both cases have been told logos aren't going with him.

On the plus side, both Damian webb and Miles Osborne are done, the Nuclear Reactor is ready to raise some havoc.

Found this regarding the invisible logos,

It's happens after you placed the logo if you go back in that logo from edit and resize the logo at all it will make it blank. So if your not happy with the size of the logo it's best to delete the one you put and re put the logo from scratch this will avoid it from going blank.

Now for some reason no matter what you do with that logo that's already in game it will always stay blank once this happens so the only fix if your fixing an already uploaded to CC caw with blank logo's is to re import the same/a new logo in game and go into/edit and replace the old logo with the new and do not resize at all and this will fix it.

That... that sucks man. Especially with Brandon X, that's a lot of work for something they will hopefully fix in a patch. It's good to know that going forward, but I think i'll hold off on doing all of that until we see if it'll get fixed in a patch.

Archived