Mass shooting thread

Mango kid

Oh I see the point. Don't worry. But you are also failing to see mine. Especially about the NRA, obviously.

And yes, I do get the many definitions of assault rifles, being automatic or semi automatic... and while one side classifies it as an assault weapon and while the other doesn't. That is also beside the point.

I was just reading about those kits and everything. Very shitty loophole.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was just on Twitter and saw that Kinder eggs are banned in the US because theyre thought to be a health hazard.

I think they recently stopped being banned. I saw them at Target I think last Halloween. Maybe they weren't Kinder Eggs but they were the same concept.

You maybe thinking of Wonder Balls

Was just on Twitter and saw that Kinder eggs are banned in the US because theyre thought to be a health hazard.

I think they recently stopped being banned. I saw them at Target I think last Halloween. Maybe they weren't Kinder Eggs but they were the same concept.

Nah I've heard that Kinder Eggs were banned in the US too. That has definitely been in the zeitgeist over the last few years.

"nearly 70% of shootings were done with handguns"... well that's just using the statistics wrong. But this is just an example.

EDIT: and yes NRA does sell guns, lmao, that's the whole point of them.

The stat about firearms comes right from the US Department of Justice, nearly word for word. So i'm not sure how he was using the stat wrong?

Also could you explain the NRA point since you disagree with the video and said Bdon was missing the point in his response to you?

Talking about the gun industry actually. And the money exchanging hands. From makers, to sellers, to politicians, high profile people with interest in all of that.

And I was not saying the stat was wrong by itself, it can be measured correctly. But it had no relevance to the point he was making. Because that has to do with problems that go beyond just "gun control" in all kinds of spheres, and would be waaay off topic to discuss them here and now.

An assault rifle is a political term used to scare people.

No it's not. The assault rifle is legitimate class of weapon (anyone in the military should be able to tell you this). Adolf Hitler, who's country produced the first assault rifle (STG 44) and who coined the term. They fire automatically and usually have a semi-auto mode. If it doesn't shoot full auto it's just a rifle then.

The term 'assault weapons' is the legal term which cover high-capacity clips that can (also) shoot semi-automatically and among other things.

Nah I've heard that Kinder Eggs were banned in the US too. That has definitely been in the zeitgeist over the last few years.

No I'm talking about what you saw in Target.

Just mind boggling that gun owners can't see any reason to change the restrictions at all. It's one thing to own something, and enjoy owning something...and intend to keep buying that thing...but that's still not a proper reason to deny saying "we have a responsibility to change the way things work". That's all that anyone has ever asked for. A change needs to happen.

And yet, republicans are the first ones to cry that democrats don't listen to them, don't want to work productively with them, etc. Gun control is where is starts, tbh. Be responsible. Accept that the way guns are currently regulated is not proper. No one wants to take your guns. No one wants to remove your ability to buy guns. People just want an acknowledgment that guns are too easy to get (in large quantities)...and we should all be discussing how to reach an agreement that falls somewhere in the middle. Because, the pro-gun party simply saying "we don't need to change a single thing" is not the correct answer. You can't deny all responsibility for gun violence while proposing that absolutely nothing changes.

All we have to do is make it harder to buy guns, especially for people with bad history. That's not really banning guns or preventing people from buying guns, it just makes it harder but safer. Would Adam Lanza have had all those guns had his mom been refused due to Adam having Asperger's? Doubt it.

All we have to do is make it harder to buy guns, especially for people with bad history. That's not really banning guns or preventing people from buying guns, it just makes it harder but safer. Would Adam Lanza have had all those guns had his mom been refused due to Adam having Asperger's? Doubt it.

Well, hold on...that's a whole other story. Denying someone the right to buy a gun because they have a child with a mental disability is absurd. Why do you always have to push things too far? I swear, you do more harm than good for whatever side of the discussion you're on. First the Hillary comment...and now this. Denying a mentally ill person the right to buy a firearm is one thing...but not denying a person just for being associated with a mentally ill person.

So you'd be okay with living in the same house as someone with mental illness who can access a gun? Especially when there are stories of kids getting their hands on a gun and accidentally shooting themselves or someone else with it? I swear, you don't understand most of the points the other side usually makes. I mean, if you're okay with having guns around people who may have Asperger's, a horrible temper, or whatnot, then good for you, you're brave. But I would not be. Hell, I'm not okay with people who have multiple guns and those with bad history or temper.

Though, it doesn't look like this guy had a bad history? he's painted as a loving grandpa who liked music or some shit. By all accounts he was normal.

So you'd be okay with living in the same house as someone with mental illness who can access a gun? Especially when there are stories of kids getting their hands on a gun and accidentally shooting themselves or someone else with it? I swear, you don't understand most of the points the other side usually makes. I mean, if you're okay with having guns around people who may have Asperger's, a horrible temper, or whatnot, then good for you, you're brave. But I would not be. Hell, I'm not okay with people who have multiple guns and those with bad history or temper.

What kind of stupid question is this? Really? Would I be "okay" with owning a gun in a house with a mentally ill person? Yeah...because I would lock that gun away and would do so with utmost care to keep it out of reach of said person. I already said that a mentally ill person should not be able to buy a gun. So, that's not what we're discussing. You said that a mother should not be able to own a gun if she has a mentally ill son. Please stop hurting our side of the argument. We're all better without your ridiculous posts, tbh.

Again...just to clarify, you're saying that no one in a house with a mentally ill person living in it should be legally able to buy a gun? That's dumb. The mentally ill person him/herself should be unable to buy a gun...but you can't infringe on the other people's rights like that. At best, a person living with a mentally ill person should be issued a mandatory reminder than they should keep their gun under lock and key at all times. But you can't just say "We see that your son has aspergers...we can't sell you a firearm". I try to say that both sides need a middle ground, and need to agree on something...and you go and say something ridiculous like that...

Lmao

I take a random look in this topic to find that M3J is suggesting that parents with autistic children shouldn't ever be able to get a gun on that basis. Unbelievable. Only you would say that. As a person on the autism spectrum, your post is borderline offensive. But ya'know, I'm not usually the one to be offended, so ... yeah.

No it was different from Wonderballs. Wonderballs have those shitty vitamin candies inside. These had Star Wars shit in them or something. It may have been for easter idk. I don't think they were Kinder Eggs they were some sort of copycat.

So wait, you guys are okay with keeping multiple guns in the same house as someone who may not be mentally healthy (doesn't even have to be autistic or have Asperger's)? What difference is there between a person who isn't mentally healthy buying a gun and someone who lives with a mentally unhealthy person buying a gun? I mean, we have cases of kids finding and taking guns and playing around with it, so how would it be safer if someone who'd know better just decided to take a gun and shoot someone, even a bully? I mean, it'd be one thing if the gun owner actually locked up the guns pretty well all the time. Why should people with bad history or temper be allowed to hold a gun, especially when stats say that those demographics are usually the shooters?

Though, thinking about it, I did stereotype autistic people or people with Asperger's.

What? Idk what Target is.

CITY, Tenn.) Federal agents are trying to determine why a man pulled over for speeding in Tennessee was carrying a cache of weapons including two submachine guns and 900 rounds of ammunition.

Deputies found Scott Edmisten, 43, of Johnson City, carrying a .357-caliber Magnum, a loaded .45-caliber semi-automatic, a .223-caliber fully automatic assault rifle, a .308-caliber fully automatic assault rifle, more than 900 rounds of ammunition, and survival equipment, Washington County Sheriff Ed Graybeal said.

Anytime you have several firearms and several hundred rounds of ammunition in a vehicle, that always causes a concern, said Michael Knight, spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Authorities still havent determined why Edmisten was carrying all that firepower, but they dont see a connection to recent mass shootings, Knight said.

A cache of weapons is displayed in Johnson City Tenn. Federal agents are trying to determine why Scott Edmisten, a man pulled over for speeding in Tennessee, was carrying a cache of weapons including two submachine guns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition.

The arrest came a day after Stephen Paddock killed 59 people and wounded more than 500 in Las Vegas, firing down on a music festival crowd from a high-rise hotel suite. Some of the 23 guns in the suite were equipped with devices that enable a rifle to fire continuously, like an automatic.

Its not connected to any of the other national incidents, but timing obviously was a concern, Knight said.

Graybeal asked the ATF to help investigate the source of the automatic weapons, which werent registered and lack serial numbers. He told The Johnson City Press that Edmisten also had modified the AR rifles to make them automatics.

Knight said investigators are tracing where Edmistens weapons came from.

Our priority is reducing violent crime on the front end, so thats the other thing were looking at, along with motive: Were these items going to be used for a criminal act or were they just being transported from one area to another area?

Graybeal said Edmisten threatened his arresting officer and lunged toward investigators trying to question him. Hes jailed without bond on charges of possessing prohibited weapons, speeding, and felony evading arrest. Its unclear if he has a lawyer.

Just mind boggling that gun owners can't see any reason to change the restrictions at all.

I don't want to speak for all gun owners, but I believe M3J is the perfect example of why we struggle to find any kind of compromise. In a matter of just a few posts M3J went from:

Stricter Gun Laws ---> Family members of those with mental illness can't have guns ---> people with a bad temper can't have guns.

Now I understand that MJ3 doesn't speak for you, or everyone who believes in stricter gun laws. But the worry is that there are enough of him, especially in Washington that if we give you an inch, you're going to take a mile.

The problem with legislation is, there will never be enough to satisfy people. This will continue to happen forever and each time we will be pressed to give up more. I admire the fact that some want to find a common ground. If that were possible then sure. But the perception of common ground will vary from area to area and person to person. It will always be changing. We can't place a law on top of a law. Bad people or mental cases don't care about laws. Fully automatic weapons are already illegal or extremely regulated. Those that modify legal weapons are breaking the law once they do that. It will never be enough for people. Also the rise of weapons both newly regulated (if we passed something) and already illegal weapons on the black market becomes worse because that's what happens when something is regulated more. Not only that, there are about 3 times the size of the population in the amount of guns in just America alone, already in circulation.

For common ground let's say we keep handguns, shotguns, and basic hunting rifles. Fully auto stays illegal. For arguments sake, we'll even get rid of AR-15's and Ak's because they look 'scary' even though they are semi auto. So with that now the case. What do we do with those millions of other AR's and AK's that have already been purchased legally by good people. Do we do a confiscation, a mandatory buyback or grandfather them in? After that lets say someone looking to bad shit either purchases one from the black market or finds and steals from some average joe then whether he modifies it or not, he goes on a killing spree. What do we do next exactly? What legislation is there then? If people get what they want and get rid of future AR-15 purchases like that's some magic cure to this whole thing. What do we do then?

There about 300 mass shooting. A year sense 2012 sandy hook

Yeah and you'll find most of those are from Miami, Detroit, Houston, and Chicago. Usually 3 to 6 people and a lot of them are domestic or gang related. There are a whole lot of people in this country. Not real surprising.

Archived