U.S. Politics Discussion

maskedmaniac

You know I don't hate gun owners, but I do hate those who try to prevent laws from being passed that would make it harder for someone to get a gun by way of stricter vetting and background checks. All that BS about "bad guys will still find ways to get guns" or "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is just weak minded and counter productive. If you are not a criminal, then why do you care if there are stricter laws to prevent those who are criminals from getting guns?

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, i followed the most recent shooting via live stream and all...and something gone through my mind the whole time: How is this that awesome freedom people keep talking about?

People were instructed to stay in their homes, hide, sit in front of the news and wait until the police or anybody stops the shooter.

People have to wait around and look at their phones, waiting to see if any friend or family member got shot.

All this while knowing that it wont be the last time, that maybe tommorrow when they step outside, its their turn to get shot.

Is that really freedom?

I'm intrigued though, what good did he do? As far as I know, a lot of good that he takes credit for started under Obama, and all Trump can really be credited for is not *censored*ing it up.

Shame there are so few right wingers who know better than to support Trump at all.

The economy would certainly be up there and I assume that's what you were talking about with Obama. And if you want to give Obama partial credit with it I'm fine with that. But everyone on from CNN and MSNBC said that as soon as Trump got into office the economy would tank. So if you are going to put 100% blame on Trump if the economy tanked then you can't give him 0 credit when the economy continues to soar. And as long as the economy remains healthy and unemployment rate stays are huge lows, its going to be a huge reason why he gets reelected.

Other things are probably more controversial and based on opinion but I'd say things like pulling out of Paris Climate Accord and Iran nuclear deals. Along with announcing Jerusalem As Israel’s Capital which is something every president from George Bush Sr to Obama promised they'd do but never did.

I'm intrigued though, what good did he do? As far as I know, a lot of good that he takes credit for started under Obama, and all Trump can really be credited for is not *censored*ing it up.

Shame there are so few right wingers who know better than to support Trump at all.

The economy would certainly be up there and I assume that's what you were talking about with Obama. And if you want to give Obama partial credit with it I'm fine with that. But everyone on from CNN and MSNBC said that as soon as Trump got into office the economy would tank. So if you are going to put 100% blame on Trump if the economy tanked then you can't give him 0 credit when the economy continues to soar. And as long as the economy remains healthy and unemployment rate stays are huge lows, its going to be a huge reason why he gets reelected.

Other things are probably more controversial and based on opinion but I'd say things like pulling out of Paris Climate Accord and Iran nuclear deals. Along with announcing Jerusalem As Israel’s Capital which is something every president from George Bush Sr to Obama promised they'd do but never did.

Pulling out of Paris Climate Accord and Iran nuclear deal has done more harm than good. It's not just an opinion that those were terrible decisions by the Trump administration. And there is a good reason why announcing Jerusalem as Israel's Capital wasn't done before.

The waters are murky, and there are a lot of variables to include. As it says here, some decisions probably helped the economy not stopping to look good, short term that is. Trump administration got a hold of a rising economy, Obama administration got a devastated economy. And let's not forget an idiotic trade war with China, the second largest economy, the true effects of that are still to be fully revealed.

The fact of the matter is this, yes, the economy is fine, it has not tanked... yet. And to say it's greatest in history is not true, that's a fact. Unemployment rate is tremendously low, good job Mr Trump for not *censored*ing it up... those are some high standards we have. GDP is also on the rise, but it's not soaring nor booming, all of the sudden. It's a steady growth. And that grow is expected to slow down in 2019. The thing is though, that growth mainly benefited the rich, as the lower class and low to mid class wages have been stagnant for a while. The economy also depends a lot on that, and on that and their ability to spend. The stock market is also very uncertain.

They focus on just 1 or two points, to exaggerate the state of he economy while also ignoring the warning signs.

The thing is though, if it was so great and he would be campaigning just on that, especially if that's a "huge reason why he will get reelected". And that's far from the truth, and always has been. So you can't also easily claim that he will get reelected.

Again if Trump should get "praised" for all that, those are some low standards. But standards for his presidency in general is absurdly low anyway, judging by the state of the affairs for the last 4-5 years.

The thing is though, if it was so great and he would be campaigning just on that, especially if that's a "huge reason why he will get reelected". And that's far from the truth, and always has been. So you can't also easily claim that he will get reelected.

Cool. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

----------------------------

So apparently "Obama urges Democrats to avoid embracing policies that are 'too far left' in 2020"

https://twitter.com/i/events/1195767015543193600

Thoughts anyone?

You know I don't hate gun owners, but I do hate those who try to prevent laws from being passed that would make it harder for someone to get a gun by way of stricter vetting and background checks. All that BS about "bad guys will still find ways to get guns" or "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is just weak minded and counter productive. If you are not a criminal, then why do you care if there are stricter laws to prevent those who are criminals from getting guns?

This exactly.

Obama deserves full credit because his administration inherited a tanking economy, as AONO said, and made it boom again. The only credit Trump gets and deserves is not *censored*ing it up. Personally though, I thought it was weird that he got blamed for the stocks dipping pretty low when he won the election, I thought that was normal and not his fault at all. And why wouldn't you blame Trump if the economy tanked if he got into the office and made decisions that hurt it?

Unemployment rate is part of a story. Obama Administration for this reason may not be as successful as we think if people had to work multiple jobs to make ends meet and still found difficulty in staying afloat.

I still see Trump losing the popular vote again, and likely by more than 3 million, again. He at least benefited last time from running against a corrupt individual whose support only came from people who knew what a piece of shit Trump is.

• 2 weeks later...

The pointless shit that Trump signs to make himself look like a "good guy" is *censored*ing laughable to me. Like...this new bill about making animal cruelty "illegal". Sounds great...if it actually meant anything. You would already be charged with animal cruelty in the US if you did any of that shit. It's just another thing to make people second guess who he is as a person. Make them go "oh...Trump loves animals". Same goes for him presenting that service award to the military dog. A nice gesture...if he wasn't only doing it to take attention away from his own negative image.

Meanwhile, actions speak louder than any bill ever could. I mean...sure...allow hunters to trap and gas bear cubs and fox cubs in their dens...openly promote pollution, deforestation, strip-mining, etc...but sign some bill that only serves to double down on laws that already exist about animal cruelty. Hopes and prayers. Got it. Same old song and dance from the master of diversion. Say...wasn't there something else happening right now?

Oh...and now he's "donating his third quarter salary to battle the opioid epidemic". He ain't done shit like this for his entire presidency...and he's suddenly Christ-incarnate now that there are impeachment talks? I am laughing. People must be real naive to buy this ploy.

The pointless shit that Trump signs to make himself look like a "good guy" is *censored*ing laughable to me. Like...this new bill about making animal cruelty "illegal". Sounds great...if it actually meant anything. You would already be charged with animal cruelty in the US if you did any of that shit. It's just another thing to make people second guess who he is as a person. Make them go "oh...Trump loves animals". Same goes for him presenting that service award to the military dog. A nice gesture...if he wasn't only doing it to take attention away from his own negative image.

President Trump has signed a bill making animal cruelty a felony, expanding on 2010 legislation that made creation or distribution of “animal crushing” videos illegal.

The previous bill had outlawed the videos but had not banned the actual acts of cruelty.

The bill drew bipartisan support, championed in the House by Florida Reps.Ted Deutch, a Democrat, and Vern Buchanan, a Republican. Sens. Pat Toomey, R-Pa., Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., and Richard Durbin, D-Ill., introduced the legislation in the Senate.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/11/26/trump-signs-preventing-animal-cruelty-torture-act/4306002002/

No one ever said the bill was a bad thing. Just that it's bullshit coming from him.

And now he's created a "task force" to locate missing Native Americans. Whatever that means...

All I see is panic to show a shred of humanity as we move towards the election.

Add "Trump sides with pro democracy protesters in Hong Kong" to the list. For real...this guy could not be any easier to read. That's about five "love me" stories in a single day. *Censored* off.

Wonder why he did it, its not because of his love for animals or the goodness of his heart.

Trying to score a few desperate points i assume.

But either way, its a good thing...that trump made it happen shouldnt make it less good.

While we are at it in terms of animals, is this still a thing in america that animals in shelters get killed when they dont find a permanent home?

I never really had the time to look into this but i heard this quite often that this is a thing in america.

Kev's point was that Trump made animal cruelty illegal whereas it was illegal to take videos or share it.

Which is really no different at all, if you think about it. Because the only way someone would ever be caught doing it, is if they shared pics or videos of it. Which, again...is why I say it's an empty, pointless plea for attention and accomplishes absolutely nothing. You can't just double down on a good thing that already pretty much exists and pretend that you've accomplished something. That's like saying "we're going to make it illegal to bang prostitutes...with or without you recording it". It means next to nothing.

Not to mention, I feel like this new bill serves to complicate certain things...like, where does boiling a live lobster fall? In the end, it's just a baseless "I'm a good guy" shot in the dark from a dude who everyone knows doesn't give a dry white turd about animals. He'll sign a bill that devastates an entire ecosystem, killing hundreds of thousands of animals...but this is where he seeks his brownie points? Nah.

Kev's point was that Trump made animal cruelty illegal whereas it was illegal to take videos or share it.

Which is really no different at all, if you think about it. Because the only way someone would ever be caught doing it, is if they shared pics or videos of it. Which, again...is why I say it's an empty, pointless plea for attention and accomplishes absolutely nothing. You can't just double down on a good thing that already pretty much exists and pretend that you've accomplished something. That's like saying "we're going to make it illegal to bang prostitutes...with or without you recording it". It means next to nothing.

Not to mention, I feel like this new bill serves to complicate certain things...like, where does boiling a live lobster fall? In the end, it's just a baseless "I'm a good guy" shot in the dark from a dude who everyone knows doesn't give a dry white turd about animals. He'll sign a bill that devastates an entire ecosystem, killing hundreds of thousands of animals...but this is where he seeks his brownie points? Nah.

Er, people can still be witnesses if they see said abuse take place, which even includes chaining a dog, I assume. It accomplishes enough, even though his goal likely is to look better and get votes. Boiling a live lobster should be against the law as well.

Also, anyone see Trump tweeting an edited pic of his head on Rocky's body? That was hilarious

Having been paying attention. Up until this point, Harris winning was still realistic? Thought she fell off as far back as the first debate

She got hot early and many thought she could be the one to beat Biden and then beat Trump. But she quickly cooled off, got beat up by Tulsi Gabbard, and things just collapsed.

I was under the impression Biden kinda fell back too, around the whole "forgot Obama's name" thing. I've been so far out of the loop during this race, but last I heard it was Warren that was looking to carry the Dems forward. And I dunno enough about her but always felt she wasn't strong enough to beat Trump. I gotta read up a little more and watch some sheeit but I don't like her. I grt uneasy every time she shows up

Wondering if Trump really will have a chance this time, or if dislike for Trump and knowledge that he's an ass cancer and detrimental to this country will win out, and we'll have either a Democrat president or a different republican winning primary.

Anyone see that Trump criticized China and backed the Hong Kong protesters? That was a nice move. Now if only he could condemn China for its treatment of the Muslims there and help out those Muslims.

Anyone see that Trump criticized China and backed the Hong Kong protesters? That was a nice move.

It's just shit-stirring to take the attention off impeachment. He doesn't give a damn about Hong Kong. All it accomplished was retaliatory statements from the Chinese government...something else to pay attention to while he tries to spin his wheels.

Archived