U.S. Politics Discussion

maskedmaniac

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you think white people will be called racists or traitors for punching white bigots? White bigots already call black people racists for wanting equality after all.

I would probably call them violent since assaulting people who have done nothing but express opinions you deem to be "bigoted" is very arbitrary standard and not to mention very illegal.

That's not violent, and there are consequences for expressing opinions, especially hateful and stupid opinions. It's usually a bigot that would defend people like Spencer or other Nazis or get mad at the hero punching them.

Also: https://t.co/O9F5XVwp1Y

This is hilarious. Pretty sure Kellyanne knew about this, but she felt safe or protected under Trump so she violated the Hatch Act anyway.

Threats are threats.

Implying that someone can be racist and make racist threats...and they have that "right" because "it's their opinion" is some shit that will never be correct. Freedom of speech means you can say what you want...but it doesn't protect you from getting what you deserve as a result of what you say. Racist rhetoric is a threatening behavior. Any type of "opinion" that belittles one group or another (even going as far as suggesting that they don't deserve to be alive)...is nothing short of a threat. Any living creature that is threatened will instinctively react in a defensive manner. With human beings, that begins with punches and kicks. A racist prick certainly doesn't have any grounds to complain for being attacked if they're threatening the existence of other people.

If you have an opinion that there is a "supreme race"...it might be your right to have that ignorant opinion...and you can hold that opinion for as long as you want. But when you express that opinion to the general public, it is indeed a threat. You're threatening people, you're challenging people...you pretty much know that you're taunting people at that point. And you should expect to have your ass kicked at that point. Why anyone would act surprised or "violated" for being attacked at that point is a true "wtf" moment.

You also have the freedom to approach a man's girlfriend and say "hey baby, let me slide inside you"...but you should expect what comes next. I don't get this whole "it's their opinion" defense of racists. Being an asshole is as one-dimensional as being an asshole. There's nothing else to it. If you don't know what comes next, then you should get learned on the subject.

Seeing conservatives claim Obama and the Clintons violated the Hatch Act. Google showed no evidence or article of this. Does someone here know what they mean, or are conservatives just talking out of their asses as usual?

That's not violent, and there are consequences for expressing opinions, especially hateful and stupid opinions. It's usually a bigot that would defend people like Spencer or other Nazis or get mad at the hero punching them.

Punching someone in the face is kinda violent. No matter how bigoted someone is, resorting to violence over what they're saying only makes yourself look worse. If you said something I didn't like, does that justify me running up to you and decking you for expressing your opinion? I hate racists and bigots, but they still have the right to express their views without getting punched out, no matter how stupid and evil they are.

I hate racists and bigots, but they still have the right to express their views without getting punched out, no matter how stupid and evil they are.

They really don't, though. They have the right to express their opinion. What happens after that is up in the air. Like I said...when you say shitty things, you should expect to be confronted for doing as much. There is no "right" that says you will be protected when you say shitty things. The freedom of speech means that your government cannot censor you, throw you in jail, etc. At no point does anyone have any sort of right that protects them from being slapped around for being a clown. You can personally press charges for assault...but there is certainly no implicit "right" that says someone can't hit you for being a jerkoff.

And it's not like "My favorite color is red" / "My favorite color is blue". Those are opinions. But we really can't keep riding this "opinion" train when it comes to toxic behavior. A malicious/harmful opinion is not the same as a common disagreement. We can't be pretending like those two things are interchangeable. They are not.

Lmao the guy was a Nazi. Why do we keep having this argument? As soon as a Nazi or KKK member gets their ass beat people just forget that they are Nazis or KKK members and I dont understand. So just because a KKK member wasnt in the middle of lynching someone when he was punched in the face means he does not deserve it? And then reducing the public existence of Nazis in 2018 to just bigotry, and in quotes no less, is foolish.

And the thing where people are like :Punching Nazis is bad because it makes you look just as bad:. I dont get that. If you are incapable of telling the difference between a Nazi, someone who literally wants to exterminate other races, and someone who doesnt want that to happen then you arent someone that should be taken seriously in any kind of discourse.

If I said out loud: I am going to kill everybody in this store: and then someone beat my ass or even killed me, would you be thinking the person that beat my ass is just as bad as me?

Sorry for using colons instead of quotation marks but quotation marks dont show up on mobile.

I hate racists and bigots, but they still have the right to express their views without getting punched out, no matter how stupid and evil they are.

At no point does anyone have any sort of right that protects them from being slapped around for being a clown. You can personally press charges for assault...but there is certainly no implicit "right" that says someone can't hit you for being a jerkoff.

While maybe not a "right", being able to charge someone with assault, and easily win. Is what protects you from being a "clown". Lets not pretend like we can go around punching anyone we disagree with and its OK. Which is essentially what this argument comes down to in the end.

Not many people are going to complain when you punch a real Nazi in the face I suppose. But hell, I've been called a Nazi on Twitter because I have conservative views. Does that mean its OK to punch me in the face too? Condoning violence for those you disagree with can be a dangerous road to travel down.

Yeah...and what's your point? They can press charges if they feel strongly enough about it. The situation will go before a court of law, and the system will take it from there. They can explain the whole thing to a jury of their peers and see how they feel about racism.

Doesn't change that being protected while you spout toxic shit is not a right...and never will be. You have the right to say what you want...and you have the right to a court of law if someone does attack you for your shitty opinions. That's it. You don't get to bitch and moan because someone knocked your ass out...you don't get to say "my word...that was uncalled for". I mean...you can say it, but it will fall on deaf ears.

Can we pleeease stop the reductive :something you dont agree with: argument? Talking about actual ethnic cleansing here, not economic ideologies or sports teams.

Is there a sufficient replacement for quotation marks?

Maybe just the single apostrophe? Why don't quotes work?

I dont know man I think its an iOS thing. Quotations and apostrophes just stopped working on mobile a while back.

So I took a peek in this thread and I see that the morality of punching a Nazi debate has been restarted, again. It really doesn't matter who has the moral high ground or not.

Richard Spencer or whoever can (physically, at least) say what he wants, sure. But he isn't free from the consequences of what he says (especially hate speech). He and whoever (might) punch(es) him are both responsible for their own actions and what comes after.

The typical "but hur just as bad as he is then!" card is really tired and predictable, and ultimately not convincing

Punching someone in the face is kinda violent. No matter how bigoted someone is, resorting to violence over what they're saying only makes yourself look worse. If you said something I didn't like, does that justify me running up to you and decking you for expressing your opinion? I hate racists and bigots, but they still have the right to express their views without getting punched out, no matter how stupid and evil they are.

No, *Censored* that. Punching bigoted, genocidal maniacs is a good thing. The only people that'll us being worse would be those who are okay with the bigots and maniacs. I mean, history does tell us one of the reasons why Nazis and Hitler became so powerful was because people were silent and let them do whatever.

They have the right to express their views, but they don't have the right to be exempt from its consequences. Kaepernick refused to stand for the anthem, despite having the freedom of speech to do so, and he was punished for it unfairly even though he did it so this country could get better. I'd say we should be worried about something like that, not whether Nazis shouldn't be punched for wanting all black people, Jews, and Muslims to die.

At no point does anyone have any sort of right that protects them from being slapped around for being a clown. You can personally press charges for assault...but there is certainly no implicit "right" that says someone can't hit you for being a jerkoff.

While maybe not a "right", being able to charge someone with assault, and easily win. Is what protects you from being a "clown". Lets not pretend like we can go around punching anyone we disagree with and its OK. Which is essentially what this argument comes down to in the end.

Not many people are going to complain when you punch a real Nazi in the face I suppose. But hell, I've been called a Nazi on Twitter because I have conservative views. Does that mean its OK to punch me in the face too? Condoning violence for those you disagree with can be a dangerous road to travel down.

No, you clearly don't understand. We're not encouraging punching Nazis like Spencer or conservatives who called Nazis just because they think white people are the bestest. We're okay with them being punched because and IF they have genocidal tendencies. The Holocaust come to mind? You might be okay with the Nazis' bigotry, hatred, and murderous tendencies, but some people aren't.

Can we pleeease stop the reductive :something you dont agree with: argument? Talking about actual ethnic cleansing here, not economic ideologies or sports teams.

If those were the only people being attacked than sure we could. But they aren't. There are many others who have been threatened or attacked and the justification by their attack is that they are a "neo Nazis" when they clearly aren't. As I said before it's a dangerous road and as much as I would love to have a good laugh with you all, I know that "this is why we can't have nice things". Because while you may not be that way, once you start justifying violence against some, it let's other idiots think they can do it too against people that the media has told them are evil or nazis.

If those were the only people being attacked than sure we could. But they aren't. There are many others who have been threatened or attacked and the justification by their attack is that they are a "neo Nazis" when they clearly aren't. As I said before it's a dangerous road and as much as I would love to have a good laugh with you all, I know that "this is why we can't have nice things". Because while you may not be that way, once you start justifying violence against some, it let's other idiots think they can do it too against people that the media has told them are evil or nazis.

I'm pretty active on all forms of social media and in my experience, there seems to be a pretty specific and consistent description of Neo-Nazis and the rest of the alt-right. The only similarities between them and your everyday conservative is their voting history, correct? Unfortunately for those everyday conservatives, they and the alt-right tend to fall on the same side of things as far as policy and those who they support. I'm not gonna say your ideology is wrong, but that's not really a problem the left has. With all of that said...I feel like it's quite hard to be confused for a Nazi. I'm not doubting there are a bunch of crazies on the left, because I know there are but again...we're talking about Nazis here. I get your point but the fact that we've really only seen people like Richard Spencer and KKK members and a guy with a Nazi armband yelling racist shit at black people get beat up makes me feel confident that the majority knows the difference so I'm not too worried about that. When conservatives start getting beat up for being in favor corporate tax cuts then okay but I think we're good with blatant racial threats getting hit.

I just hate the reductive language when we're talking about actual Nazis and whoever else. He's much more than "somebody I disagree with" and you know that.

"I want to eradicate your entire race to create a white ethno-state."

"I respectfully disagree." This isn't a realistic conversation, nor should it be. I feel like it's even more reckless to legitimize their literally dangerous viewpoints by protecting them.

One more thing: I don't think regular conservatives do enough to disavow the alt-right. The biggest difference between the two is the degree of racism, every talking point outside of that lines up and if I'm wrong about that PLEASE correct me. If there was a white ethno-state, there would be no alt-right. Your everyday conservative doesn't care enough to separate themselves and so it's not surprising that there would be conflation.

Racists are the most coddled "safe space" "snowflakes" in existence.

Kinda funny that those terms came to be used on their side. Probably the biggest case of self-projecting, and pot calling the kettle black that has ever existed. Complain about the fact that people are "soft" and need "safe spaces"...while being the most whiny bunch of bitches to ever walk the earth. Their entire ideology stems from being uncomfortable...from being raised in a bubble, to think that everyone other than their exact self-image is inferior. And then they can't even take a punch with dignity.

Amuses me greatly...

So I took a peek in this thread and I see that the morality of punching a Nazi debate has been restarted, again. It really doesn't matter who has the moral high ground or not.

Richard Spencer or whoever can (physically, at least) say what he wants, sure. But he isn't free from the consequences of what he says (especially hate speech). He and whoever (might) punch(es) him are both responsible for their own actions and what comes after.

The typical "but hur just as bad as he is then!" card is really tired and predictable, and ultimately not convincing

Consequences are usually none violent, i.e. losing your job, disassociation from organizations, breaking up of business deals and personal relationships or simply not listening/ignoring. If you include physical violence against someone who has done nothing else other than peacefully express their opinion, then yes, you are the bad guy.

Killing/assaulting people due to nothing else other than "I'm offended!" is nonsensical and shortsighted when other peaceful legal measures are available. Condoning such violence opens up the avenue of violence as a legitimate means to silence any opinion anyone thinks is detrimental to society which is obviously very terrible for a coherent/peaceful society.

Also "hate speech" is not a thing.

Lmao.

"I'm going to shoot up a school.

"Leave him alone. Freedom of speech."

*17 kids are shot to the death at school*

"Why did no one do anything?!"

This example is even more pertinent when you consider the fact that Nikolas Cruz was an alt-right white supremacist.

The way I see it, a simple punch is nothing compared to what they as white males have the political power to do. Nazis can heal from a punch, black people can't heal from gentrification, being driven from their neighborhoods, unjust policing, a faulty criminal justice system, etc.

I look at punching a white supremacist in the face kinda like punching a guy who called your mom or your sister a whore and called you a bitch. If someone came up to you and said that to your face would you just be like "he's got the right to say those things about my mom!"? Let's be honest and say hell no, especially not in front of your boys you would look like a punk. Having a so-called "Nazi" come up to you and say the shit they've been saying warrants the reaction of getting socked in the face.

Lmao.

This example is even more pertinent when you consider the fact that Nikolas Cruz was an alt-right white supremacist.

The way I see it, a simple punch is nothing compared to what they as white males have the political power to do. Nazis can heal from a punch, black people can't heal from gentrification, being driven from their neighborhoods, unjust policing, a faulty criminal justice system, etc.

Explicitly advocating/encouraging illegal activities is not the same as having a lawful opinion which you disagree with or may find offensive.

Lmao.

Explicitly advocating/encouraging illegal activities is not the same as having a lawful opinion which you disagree with or may find offensive.

What?

Literally replace "I'm going to shoot up a school." with "I am going to take to my country back for white people by getting rid of everybody else." and you have a Nazi. How the hell is that an opinion? That is a threat, they both are. Threats are opinions? You're trying to do this "I see everything objectively" thing but it really isn't working. You're smarter than this.

Archived