U.S. Politics Discussion

maskedmaniac

He most likely wasn't all that serious. Nevertheless, this obsession with guns is pretty dumb and counterproductive to improvement of society. But then again, the right wing's logic is that banning guns won't prevent people from getting guns, but banning abortion will stop abortion, or that Planned Parenthood isn't necessary, so yeah.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He most likely wasn't all that serious. Nevertheless, this obsession with guns is pretty dumb and counterproductive to improvement of society. But then again, the right wing's logic is that banning guns won't prevent people from getting guns, but banning abortion will stop abortion, or that Planned Parenthood isn't necessary, so yeah.

I'd like to point out that we're simply defending our right to own guns and YOU are making it out to be an obsession on gun owners. In order to paint them/us in a bad light, and because you want to act like a child when they won't agree with you and your nonsense, you just demonize them as if they are obsessed and counterproductive. Both which are foolish and misguided opinions. I'll tell you a real fact. And that is you are completely clueless when it comes to guns. Period. Why would a gun owner or anyone take you seriously? Honestly. Why would they listen to your opinion if you don't even know what you are talking about?

And it's funny you bring up banning abortions because it's the exact opposite for the left. You honestly don't believe that banning abortion will stop abortion. You would be correct. So with that, why would you think that AR-15's being banned going forward would stop people from getting them? That's the left's logic. Both are two sides of the same damn coin.

I'd like to point out that we're simply defending our right to own guns and YOU are making it out to be an obsession on gun owners. In order to paint them/us in a bad light, and because you want to act like a child when they won't agree with you and your nonsense, you just demonize them as if they are obsessed and counterproductive. Both which are foolish and misguided opinions. I'll tell you a real fact. And that is you are completely clueless when it comes to guns. Period. Why would a gun owner or anyone take you seriously? Honestly. Why would they listen to your opinion if you don't even know what you are talking about?

And it's funny you bring up banning abortions because it's the exact opposite for the left. You honestly don't believe that banning abortion will stop abortion. You would be correct. So with that, why would you think that AR-15's being banned going forward would stop people from getting them? That's the left's logic. Both are two sides of the same damn coin.

No one is saying it would be a 100%, picture perfect stopping method, heck, I even showed that us Brits have gun crime, and our laws are even tighter than yours. It would make them a lot harder to get though. And maybe, just maybe if they weren't so easy to get, the amount of shootings you have will go down.

No one is saying it would be a 100%, picture perfect stopping method, heck, I even showed that us Brits have gun crime, and our laws are even tighter than yours. It would make them a lot harder to get though. And maybe, just maybe if they weren't so easy to get, the amount of shootings you have will go down.

You realize most of our mass shootings are gang and drug related, right? And they aren't getting their guns the legal way most of the time. So no the amount will not go down. It sounds good in theory but wouldn't actually work.

You realize most of our mass shootings are gang and drug related, right? And they aren't getting their guns the legal way most of the time. So no the amount will not go down. It sounds good in theory but wouldn't actually work.

Gang and drug-related shootings are usually one or two innocents caught in the crossfire when shit goes down...a "mass shooting" is an intentional "let me murder the most people I can" scenario...and it is almost always just some jackoff with too many guns in his/her possession. Gangs shoot people in other gangs...drug-related shootings happen because deals go bad...the term "mass shooting" is used when a random asshole goes and shoots a bunch of people that they don't even know.

Again...when you say things like this, it just comes off as an attempt to skirt putting the blame where it belongs. You'd have a more solid platform to stand on if you accepted that there are major problems with gun culture, and actually pretended to care. Are there certain times in history when there were mass shootings involving gang members? Surely so. But, your whole "Most of" comment is complete bullshit. Most of the worst shootings in US history have been lone-wolf scenarios. When is the last time you heard of the crips just walking into a mall and shooting a hundred people for the shit of it? Based on your comments, I'd expect to see a gang-related slaughter of random people on the news every other week. Shit just doesn't happen that way.

Now...if you'd said "most of the gun related deaths in the country are gang and drug related", then you might be closer to the truth. But that isn't what you said...you said "mass shootings"...and that is just laughably wrong.

One good way to try and reduce the violence is by trying to keep kids off the streets and busy with something good, like basketball or math or something. Another is by getting people who sell and buy guns illegally, just as the cops did months ago, but that's dangerous for undercover cops. Multiple ways to try and reduce deaths by gang violence, but politicians just don't care.

the term "mass shooting" is used when a random asshole goes and shoots a bunch of people that they don't even know.

Just so we're clear on the "term". According to the FBI, a shooting is considered a mass shooting when "three or more" are killed.

https://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/U-_ActiveShooter13B_FBI.pdf

the term "mass shooting" is used when a random asshole goes and shoots a bunch of people that they don't even know.

Just so we're clear on the "term". According to the FBI, a shooting is considered a mass shooting when "three or more" are killed.

https://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/U-_ActiveShooter13B_FBI.pdf

Isn't there another thread for this type of stuff?

Though, context is obviously more important in this case. Because gang crime is a whole another game and ballpark.

It's obvious what is discussed, but that definition can be used in arguments like Bdon used which again, completely misses the point.

Tbh, not sure how is this even still a discussion when people are trying to use reason while the other side won't budge even a little while explicitly saying he will never change his opinion.

"So no the amount will not go down. It sounds good in theory but wouldn't actually work. "

Says a guy who constantly want others to "proove" him everything. This is some Trump style rhetoric. And that's not really flattering.

------------

On another note...

It really feels like more wars are being prepeared while China nd Russia are gaining strenght again, and Saudi Arabia has some megalomanic plans too for the Middle East

BUT, US still has a reality star as president... and that seems completely symptomatic too.

Laughing at the fact that a federal judge has now blocked Trump's trans-gender military ban...

Also laughing at the fact that Trump will end up serving a lengthy prison sentence when they can finally prove the shit that I've been saying about him since the beginning of his presidency. At this point, I pity anyone who is oblivious enough to deny the writing on the wall. Donny boy is a treasonous snake. It isn't a "witchhunt"...and it should be obvious to anyone who isn't too busy riding his dick to see what's clear as day. He's been digging his hole for a while now...longer than most people expected, but he's about to hit the bottom in a big way. It's going to be hilarious to watch him squirm...probably even more hilarious to watch his supporters try to protect him through it all.

Laughing at the fact that a federal judge has now blocked Trump's trans-gender military ban...

Also laughing at the fact that Trump will end up serving a lengthy prison sentence when they can finally prove the shit that I've been saying about him since the beginning of his presidency. At this point, I pity anyone who is oblivious enough to deny the writing on the wall. Donny boy is a treasonous snake. It isn't a "witchhunt"...and it should be obvious to anyone who isn't too busy riding his dick to see what's clear as day. He's been digging his hole for a while now...longer than most people expected, but he's about to hit the bottom in a big way. It's going to be hilarious to watch him squirm...probably even more hilarious to watch his supporters try to protect him through it all.

Well Meuller is trying to build a case up to where Trump can't get out so he has to bring the big boys tools. This is like watching The Wire irl.

Sorry to rain on your parade but I'd bet good money that Trump doesn't spend a minute in prison. It's just not something that happens to politicians in that high of a power, right or wrong. You'll be lucky if he gets impeached.

A right wing cartoon that I think Trump retweeted had to do with witches hunting people. they don't even know what a witch hunt is, unless a left winger made up that cartoon to troll the right :lol:

So it looks like a terrorist attack on new York,today

Not political.

At least, not until Trump makes an embarrassing statement on it.

The driver did by allegedly shouting Allah akbar.

And that is "US politics" related, how?

"Allah Akbar" is a religious testament...not a political one. Furthermore...terrorism is terrorism, and doesn't represent religion or politics. Terrorism uses religion as an excuse for doing terrible things. In the end, this was another random guy from the US, carrying out another senseless fringe attack, and claiming that he did it for Islam. None of that is related to US politics, if not for the fact that we have a president who is xenophobic.

So it looks like a terrorist attack on new York,today

Not political.

At least, not until Trump makes an embarrassing statement on it.

The driver did by allegedly shouting Allah akbar.

And that is "US politics" related, how?

"Allah Akbar" is a religious testament...not a political one. Furthermore...terrorism is terrorism, and doesn't represent religion or politics. Terrorism uses religion as an excuse for doing terrible things.

And yet everyone relies on leaders and politicians to do something about terrorism so, yes, it can be political and mostly is or ends up that way. Not sure what you're trying to prove here.

The last 5 or so posts reminded me how the religion thread used to be the top thread in general discussion and then within the last couple of years it shifted to political as if talking about religion too taboo or rather more politicized than it used to be. Seems like you can't talk about religion without mentioning conservatives or liberals nowadays.

And yet everyone relies on leaders and politicians to do something about terrorism so, yes, it can be political and mostly is or ends up that way. Not sure what you're trying to prove here.

Trying to prove? I'm not "trying to prove" anything, It was a terrorist attack...on US soil. But it isn't fundamentally related to US politics. If someone wants to talk about what the president has said in response to it...or what the current administration wants to do about it...that would be "US politics". But, the attack itself is not related in any way to US politics. I'm pretty sure we had another topic for the discussion of terrorism...

My intent in saying that it isn't related to US politics, was simply to keep the attention of this topic on US politics. But, I guess it's easy to see that pro-Trumpers are willing to change the subject whenever they can. Trump is in trouble? Here's a convenient terrorist attack that we can put the spotlight on. Not on Trump's response to it, or what the government will do about it...just the attack in general. Come back to this topic when there's actually something to be said about it on the federal level. Right now, it's NYC. When Trump says some stupid shit about the attacks, then we can talk all about it.

Archived