The Pokemon Thread

Jmerc

Oh yeah, forgot about that, never played X/Y though.

Team Magma summoning Groudon to cause a massive never-ending drought, is also something that would likely lead to mass extinction, had the player not stopped it.

I don't think I've ever been in an actual world that's actually visibly *censored*ed like how Ultra Ruin is *censored*ed though.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sun and Moon as a whole is pretty dark. You have Lusamine freezing Pokemon and the fact that she originally created to Type-Null to kill the Ultra Beasts. Like straight up kill. And all of this as a result of a deteriorating mental state. You also have Guzma who was abused as a child. And that's just the stuff I can remember.

As for main series stories as a whole, I actually prefer BW1's story just because it was paced a lot better. With SM, the plot doesn't actually happen until the end of the game.

and then in Ultra, she's a good guy, for some reason - but still casually murders Pokemon.

But that's fine, I guess?

Pokegenocide is good, guys.

They should really port Detective Pikachu to Switch...even if they just do it as a digital release. For me, that was one of the last big games I was going to buy for 3DS, and then I just stopped playing 3DS cold turkey when I got a Switch. I still own a 3DS...I could still buy it and play it on that system, but I'd rather just have a port. Especially with the movie being a bit of a cultural phenomenon, you'd think it might be a good idea...

Sun and Moon as a whole is pretty dark. You have Lusamine freezing Pokemon and the fact that she originally created to Type-Null to kill the Ultra Beasts. Like straight up kill. And all of this as a result of a deteriorating mental state. You also have Guzma who was abused as a child. And that's just the stuff I can remember.

As for main series stories as a whole, I actually prefer BW1's story just because it was paced a lot better. With SM, the plot doesn't actually happen until the end of the game.

Ngl, I kind of laughed when I realized Guzma beat the shit out of his father with a golf club and they actually put that in.

But USUM has more off-moments:

- A small child asks you to investigate ghost stories and ends up being a ghost herself, whilst being accompanied by a Drifloon, a Pokemon known for luring and abducting small children. The implication is that Drifloon killed the kid, who is still acting like Drifloon is her best friend.

- You can look under Mimikyu's cloth in a cutscene and it actually kills you for doing that.

- Some dude in a midlife crisis high strung on nostalgia asks you to look for a group of legendary Eeveelution-trainers. When you find and battle them, you discover that all of them are either are in a shitty retirement, doing low-end jobs despite supposing to be in retirement, addicted to plastic surgery because aging is a bitch, demented or dead. That, in combination to the story of how a large part of Team Skull came to be, shows that being a Pokemon trainer, even a very skilled one, doesn't necessarily pay the bills.

Ngl, I kind of laughed when I realized Guzma beat the shit out of his father with a golf club and they actually put that in.

But USUM has more off-moments:

- A small child asks you to investigate ghost stories and ends up being a ghost herself, whilst being accompanied by a Drifloon, a Pokemon known for luring and abducting small children. The implication is that Drifloon killed the kid, who is still acting like Drifloon is her best friend.

- You can look under Mimikyu's cloth in a cutscene and it actually kills you for doing that.

- Some dude in a midlife crisis high strung on nostalgia asks you to look for a group of legendary Eeveelution-trainers. When you find and battle them, you discover that all of them are either are in a shitty retirement, doing low-end jobs despite supposing to be in retirement, addicted to plastic surgery because aging is a bitch, demented or dead. That, in combination to the story of how a large part of Team Skull came to be, shows that being a Pokemon trainer, even a very skilled one, doesn't necessarily pay the bills.

tbf... pokemon trainer isn't really a job unless youre rich, the most money you get in a fight in USUM is 127 euros (16,000 pokedollars, which is yen). that's for the champion rematch.

now imagine beating normal random trainers: the first trainer in USUM gives you half of a euro (idk what that's called, 50p/c etc).

and then also consider not only do you gotta feed yourself, you gotta feed your pokemon.

rip

Are they trying to appeal to teens or adults instead of kids now?

The games have never been for little kids. Shit has always been a little dark if you looked for it.

Only if you "look for it" though...

Pokemon is a kid series. just because you're in the 20s (or 30s?) doesn't make that not the case mate.

the games are literally "E for everyone". if they "weren't for kids", they would have what, a 15 rating? 18?

They've calculated the worth of pokedollars compared to irl currency?

"pokedollars" is yen. in gen 1, it was equal to the same currency rate as yen when the game came out.

same for gen 6, a taxi in gen 6 is 710 pokedollars

a taxi in japan is average of 710 yen

Interesting. Would also say that the game definitely is for kids, but don't mind putting some dark stuff in there that only older people would make a big deal out of.

Other than Team Rocket straight up killing a Marowak. But even that is acceptable in kids game.

Remember, these are also the same guys that never released an Azure Flute because they assumed it would've been too difficult to explain to kids how to use it at Spear Pillar to catch Arceus.

Old gens have to be killed off eventually. Gen 7 could barely work on 3DS, so much so they had to remove triple battles and horde battles when they clearly didn't want to (in gen 7, there's a part where 5 trainers attack you, and you "fight them all at once", but fight their Pokemon 1 by 1, this was clearly supposed to be a Horde battle, like the 5v1 Mightyena in Gen 6)

I remember you were upset they stopped WWE being on PS3 not too long ago. PS5 is around the corner.

Ugh...PS2 people were the worst.

I remember the PS2 getting 5 WWE games after the 360 and PS3 had already come out. FIVE. PS2 was arguably the greatest game console of all time....but, getting five new games in a series at a point when new consoles were out was ludicrous.

And, yeah...the 3DS is finished.

It's still a perfectly nice game system if you want to buy old stock and play games that have already come out. But, nothing should be newly developed for the 3DS in 2019. In addition to that, it would be nice if Nintendo would port some of the more recent 3DS games over to the Swiitch, since a lot of decent games got lost in the shuffle of people moving onto the Switch and missing them entirely.

Old gens have to be killed off eventually. Gen 7 could barely work on 3DS, so much so they had to remove triple battles and horde battles when they clearly didn't want to (in gen 7, there's a part where 5 trainers attack you, and you "fight them all at once", but fight their Pokemon 1 by 1, this was clearly supposed to be a Horde battle, like the 5v1 Mightyena in Gen 6)

I remember you were upset they stopped WWE being on PS3 not too long ago. PS5 is around the corner.

no, that was a long time ago as I bought a PS4 about a year or so ago.

2DS could be a superior version of 3DS? Dunno, but where else did they have horde battles and triple battles? If it worked in Gen 6, why wouldn't it work in Gen 7?

Archived