The Pokemon Thread

Jmerc

^^ And you seem to be confusing the point where I don't care what other people call it.

If it's meant as a watered down "entry point" for people unfamiliar with the main games, and there is still a full-fledged main game coming in less than a year...then, no, it isn't a main game...regardless of whatever memo Nintendo or Gamefreak want to pin to it. The core Pokemon games are structured a certain way...and that's simply all the argument that needs to exist around it being a main game or not. I'm sure they would have called Colosseum a "core game" as well back when it came out. But it *censored*ing wasn't...clearly.

Believe me, I'm the last person alive who is ever going to take a company calling something what they want people to see it as, and just saying "Well, that's what it is". I can see what it is. It's a spin-off. They want it to sell like a main game, so they're calling it one. It isn't one. If it was, they wouldn't be making one for 2019.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They didn't, this is the first time they've referred to a 'spin off' as a main/core series game. GameFreak are making it, whilst other companies made all the spin offs. Since THEY'RE calling it a main game, it's a main game and if it does well, shit from it will go to the real games.

Not the 2019 game as that's too early

but after that...

Yeah...and that's why they're calling it "core" then, because GameFreak are making it.

It's still a spinoff...(one made by GameFreak); One that they want the distinction of calling "core" so people know it's being made by Game Freak. That it. That's all just political/corporate bullshit. Main game is the 2019 one. Anything with a title like "Let's Go" is a spinoff. Just *censored*ing admit it. I can't even believe you're arguing this shit.

Its been a hot topic on Pokemon forums/reddit etc. It's been split about 60/40, with the 60 being "it's a main game".

It's a remaster of yellow (not a remake), which was a main game, so it's a main game.

what's hilarious is I got multiple warning points for arguing it was a spin off and eventually got banned (the *censored*s) for arguing too much about how much I hate the LG games.

Still I was eventually talked into the fact it's a main game, not a spin off - no matter how much I hate that fact. so yeah, you fight gyms, challenge the E4, it's made by GameFreak (who haven't made any of the spin offs) - it's a main game. A shit one but a main game all the same

and tbf, I kinda thank it in a way - it means I aint gotta buy a Switch for a minimum of one more year

Pretty sure they said it was a "main game". Either way doesn't really matter. It looks fun. I'm sure it'll be just fine. Kind of dumb to call it shit before even playing it. They've changed very little. If they added the wild pokemon battles back then no one would complain a bit. It'll be a nice tie over until next year. People take this shit way too seriously.

Pretty sure they said it was a "main game". Either way doesn't really matter. It looks fun. I'm sure it'll be just fine. Kind of dumb to call it shit before even playing it. They've changed very little. If they added the wild pokemon battles back then no one would complain a bit. It'll be a nice tie over until next year. People take this shit way too seriously.

I mean they still removed 700 character and you have to throw the ball manually, as well as no abilities, hold items, already proven to have lower levels and less Pokemon for trainers, with them forcing you to use Pokemon that are super effective against gym leaders and also Blue has been replaced by Trace, your 'friendly rival', because kids now a days are too sheltered for the 'mean rival', I guess?

Remasters aren't main games either...they're remasters.

So are FRLG, HGSS and ORAS not main games either? though they're actual remakes, and not reamsters.

I mean they still removed 700 character and you have to throw the ball manually, as well as no abilities, hold items, already proven to have lower levels and less Pokemon for trainers, with them forcing you to use Pokemon that are super effective against gym leaders and also Blue has been replaced by Trace, your 'friendly rival', because kids now a days are too sheltered for the 'mean rival', I guess?

Remasters aren't main games either...they're remasters.

So are FRLG, HGSS and ORAS not main games either? though they're actual remakes, and not reamsters.

So were you expecting to have all 700 pokemon in a new series based off a first gen game? Also have they confirmed all of those things out? I know it won't have all the same features but there is still a large amount we don't know so I'm not sure. We just found out about mega evolutions being in a few weeks ago. I like having a "mean" rival too but we still know very little. And it is a remaster and not a remake so. I just don't really get the hate I guess. Everyone's wishes will come true next year I'm sure. It's a tie over so it really isn't that big of a deal.

So were you expecting to have all 700 pokemon in a new series based off a first gen game? Also have they confirmed all of those things out? I know it won't have all the same features but there is still a large amount we don't know so I'm not sure. We just found out about mega evolutions being in a few weeks ago. I like having a "mean" rival too but we still know very little. And it is a remaster and not a remake so. I just don't really get the hate I guess. Everyone's wishes will come true next year I'm sure. It's a tie over so it really isn't that big of a deal.

Why wouldn't it?

FRLG has 386 Pokemon even though gen 1 had 151

HGS has 493 Pokemon even though gen 2 only had 252

ORAS had 721 Pokemon even though gen 3 only had 386

So why does LG only have 151/2 - when the 15 year old remake had 236 more dudes? that doesn't make sense. It should have 807/8

And yes, they're confirmed out.

So YES. It shouldve been expected to have that many Pokemon. The old games did. Even spin offs did like Mystery Dungeon and such. There's no reason to have only gen 1 Pokemon, even GO has the 386 up to gen 3. So unless they're adding them over time (which is also *censored*y), there's no excuse. So yeah - the first Mystery Dungeon game had all 386 Pokemon at the time, whilst the second MD game had all 493 at the time (well, everything except Arecus)

Megas aren't proper Pokemon though lol

Why wouldn't it?

FRLG has 386 Pokemon even though gen 1 had 151

HGS has 493 Pokemon even though gen 2 only had 252

ORAS had 721 Pokemon even though gen 3 only had 386

So why does LG only have 151/2 - when the 15 year old remake had 236 more dudes? that doesn't make sense. It should have 807/8

And yes, they're confirmed out.

So YES. It shouldve been expected to have that many Pokemon. The old games did. Even spin offs did like Mystery Dungeon and such. There's no reason to have only gen 1 Pokemon, even GO has the 386 up to gen 3. So unless they're adding them over time (which is also *censored*y), there's no excuse. So yeah - the first Mystery Dungeon game had all 386 Pokemon at the time, whilst the second MD game had all 493 at the time (well, everything except Arecus)

Megas aren't proper Pokemon though lol

I brought up megas as an example of features we didn't know about until recently and that there could still be more to come.

I understand where you're coming from. It just doesn't bother me as much. I'm not saying you have to be ok with it or like it or even buy it. I just can't justify calling it a shit game yet. It still seems like fun.

Meanwhile I think they're the worst. They have the least content and haven't aged well

FRLG are fine. The originals are trash

Gen 6 is around the same as 1-2 quality wise

Tell me why they're the best. Being the originals doesn't count

yeah, avoiding the gen debate. That way lies madness. I say hgss is best simply as a joke because theyre my favourites in the series.

Hell, I personally dislike gen V and really liked ultra moon.

I like all the gens for different reasons.

I just don't like Pokemon essentially turning into Digimon...which I've stated before. Pokemon was always this brand that was more like the natural world to me. I was drawn to it because it seemed semi-realistic. At this point, they've taken the hard turn towards futurism, and I never cared for that.

And yeah, gen 1 had Pokemon like Porygon and Mewtwo...but those represented certain aspects of humanity to me. The quest for progress. They were interesting as one-offs. But with the Mega Evolution wrist bands, and alternate dimensions, and entire universes of Tron-like digital "beasts" that aren't even Pokemon, I'm just feeling less love for the franchise that I was drawn to as a child.

First two gens are the best. Played a bit of the remakes, and they're solid as well.

Hey something we agree on.

:D

Meanwhile I think they're the worst. They have the least content and haven't aged well

FRLG are fine. The originals are trash

Gen 6 is around the same as 1-2 quality wise

Tell me why they're the best. Being the originals doesn't count

Is it really fair to say they haven't aged well when they were made like, two decades ago and technology has evolved since then? The originals are still amazing and hold up pretty well. still follow the basic format, and it's simple.

Why do you have an issue with the originals?

Gen 1 doesn't have a story lol and the games have been improved too much for it to be playable any more

Kinda extends to 2-3 as well tbh. Gen 4 is where most of the changes came in

Just because it was first, doesn't mean it's good/the best. Was it good for its time? sure. But this isn't 1996. We don't need the exact same game but with lower than gen 6 quality graphics

It's kinda like how people over rated the Attitude Era. It's 25 years old and you were a kid so that means it was amazing

Thanks for proving my point. And I'm not saying that because they're the originals or first. And no one said they wanted the same exact game, but we can say the first two gens were the best or favorites. Learn to appreciate stuff.

Something tells me Muur didn't play the originals when they were actually original, and he resents that.

I did though. I had a lot of fun playing them and enjoyed them a lot, played the shit out of them and then played gen three. Just because they were a massive part of my childhood in the mid 90s doesn't mean they're good games in 2018. It's the same for the early anime. I watched it weekly on TV, starting when Ash was in the Kanto League and ended up seeing reruns once they got to Johto. The early anime is terrible, similar to the games? The start is the worst part of the franchise. Which is how it should be. You get better, not worse. I've literally watched and played the franchise my entire life

Just because they were good 25 years ago doesn't mean they're good now.

...or 2008.

Or 2003 tbh. Once FRLG came out they were obsolete.

And just to throw food into the fire, the best games are gen 5 due to the amount of content (gen 6 has similar to gen 1 whilst gen 7 isn't close) whilst the best anime is gen 4. Worst anime is gen 5 followed by gen 2.

You're not as old as you think you are Gen.

I've gone back and seen and played a lot of my childhood stuff. Some aged well (Digimon being the main likely due it ajways involving the internet) but most is either terrible or just okay. Games I thought were amazing or hard are shit review wise or were easy I just was just a kid wii was shit at games

I had more fun with gaming and shows back then. Does that mean they were better? Not really. Most are about the same as now a days or worse. Mostly worse.

And tbh were not far off the early 2000s being idolised by the current generation. It's kinda already started with people saying gen 4/5 was their childhood. Soon the AE will be forgotten and people like Carlito will be the legends. And I wasn't there for most of the AE but I was there fir a decent chunk. It also hasn't aged well. Most is "wtf is this" and they tried way too hard to be cool. And I literally had the WWE games yearly starling before Smackdown one. What's funny is I actually actually SD1 is really good even in 2018. HCTP though isn't (admittedly I was on xbox so had Raw 2 and WM21 instead so missed that one during its time) I think the best era of gaming was the late 360/PS3 generation. I haven't been impressed with the current one they're spamming remakes, remasters and nostalgia too much coupled with selling mobile game content as full games with pay to win mechanics.

Archived