The Pokemon Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...so I guess I'm not playing this till the 22nd. Even though I pre-ordered from Amazon and they have release day guarantee and stuff. Now it says "arriving Friday" and when I go to the actual page for the game is says "currently unavailable". Man...I didn't really even want the double pack, but I got it for collection purposes. Now, I'm not only paying a bunch, but waiting extra days. BALLS.

Yeah...so I guess I'm not playing this till the 22nd. Even though I pre-ordered from Amazon and they have release day guarantee and stuff. Now it says "arriving Friday" and when I go to the actual page for the game is says "currently unavailable". Man...I didn't really even want the double pack, but I got it for collection purposes. Now, I'm not only paying a bunch, but waiting extra days. BALLS.

Am I missing something? Friday is the release date, isn't it?

Yeah...I meant that a "nature" is meant to be something that a creature is born with. Why the *Censored* should you be able to change it? That was kind of the entire point of a nature to begin with. Do you just want to tune your Pokemon like a car? That's pointless.

It's funny because they said they hated the whole breeding-culture, ditching Pokemon and discarding this and that, just to get that perfect 1 Pokemon and now they have this.

From what I've seen, this is shaping up to be the worst main game in the entire series.

Still excited for this. Still gonna play it independently of the rest of the franchise and have a good time doing so. Just really peeved that you can't collect every Pokemon. But, yeah...a lot of people hated Let's Go. I still played that for 45 hours or something. So...that's what I'll try to do here.

Day before release, and this place is crickets. Lol.

Anyway...Amazon dropped the price on the double pack.

At the time I pre-ordered it, the total with tax was something like $127...but I checked today, and it's been slashed to $99...which is actually a good deal. If two friends wanted to split the price, they could each get the game a bit cheaper than retail for a single copy. I know $50 is still not a huge deal...but, Nintendo games never really budge from the full price. So, I consider it a good deal to jump at.

My copy should arrive monday.. provided amazon doesnt *Censored* up again.

Hey gen, without any real spoilers, how's the wilds? Is it set up into quadrants? I was planning to do a blind nuzlocke run but am worried that wont be possible if the wild's are one huge continuous route.

Seeing my brother play, the pop in/out of the models in the overworld is the worst part. Like you walk through a field and 5 Wooloos vanish, take a step back and theyll appear again, step forward theyre gone etc, like there's not really any excuse for that.

just walking through town and Charisard and Leon spawn from no where, it's pretty startling at times lol

Seeing my brother play, the pop in/out of the models in the overworld is the worst part. Like you walk through a field and 5 Wooloos vanish, take a step back and theyll appear again, step forward theyre gone etc, like there's not really any excuse for that.

Actually, there is a very good reason for that. If models where always there, the assets would cause the game to crash. If you don't think there is any reason for that, then you don't understand game development. What else can I say...

There are times when Pokemon are popping up left and right all over the map. You couldn't afford to have that many Pokemon on the screen at one time...it would eat the memory. And it's not the end of the world anyway. In games like Final Fantasy, you would engage in battles with things that aren't even there. This is just having random encounters with a twist. They go out of their way to add actual models to the encounters...and you find a way to bitch anyway. :lol:

I mean...there are things worth complaining about (mostly the lacking Pokedex)...and then there are things that make people sound absurd. This is one of those things...

The wilds are continuous. It feels like Breath of the Wild; Pokemon edition.

Darn, I'll need to come up with some custom rules for nuzlocking it then. Perhaps 1 catch per gym defeated or something. Thanks man.

I beat Sword last night and I have opinions.

-Wild area, aside from some ugly textures, is fine. Feels more like an attempt at an online hub than a BotW open world.

-The whole overleveled Pokémon thing is one of the reasons I think an open world Pokémon game is stupid. For something like this, though, its whatever.

-That being said, I do wish the game was more open. At the very least, it needs to be on par with older games. Let me explore a little. And the artificial roadblocks are annoying as hell. You can already run into endgame level Pokémon in the wild area, so why not let me walk where I want just for the hell of it? It wouldnt be an issue if they were at least more organic like the old games even though HMs sucked.

-I also wish some of the towns were bigger. Theyre about the same size as what youd see in a Tales game and some other Jrpgs, but it still feels like a waste going into these massive cities and towns only to have some of them be only slightly bigger than other Pokémon cities at best.

-The story was fine for what it was, though a bit disappointing. The idea of the gym challenge being the story is nice, but the way they handled the other stuff was kinda weak. Still better than XYs.

-Marnies the weakest character in the game. Bede feels like a less hardcore Silver. Hop has the biggest arc, but its not that interesting.

-I loved the gym challenges. Some of those were creative as hell.

-I also love how gym battles transition from cutscene straight to battle. Its awesome. Then theres the one gym that doesnt, but I like that one for other reasons.

-The battle backgrounds need a lot of work. As in actually show the area youre in. Indoor battles just put you in a void for some reason and even some of the outdoor areas are kinda eh in that they dont always reflect your exact location.

-Aside from the wild area, the game looks freaking amazing.

-Love the music, especially the last Pokémon theme for gym leaders, and the rival themes. The boss theme was sick too. I think I saw people saying thats the one the undertale guy did.

-Maybe its because I suck, but this game was a serious challenge at times. Bea kicked my ass twice and I actually had to spam items to beat barely beat Leon when Ive made it a thing to not use items in battle since gen 6.

-I dont care for g-max or d-max as a concept, though I guess I can see the appeal, plus it is cool for story related stuff and I guess the raid battles. I used it once against Bea.

-The starters are my favorite gen 8 designs, especially Cinderace. The rest range from pretty good to eh. Overall a solid dex, but not my favorite. Also, I wish we could go back to 100+ Pokémon.

-Pyro Ball is sick. Theres your high quality animations. I hope we get more signature moves like that in the future.

I'm enjoying it. The dex cut is hitting me hard on some things (I am so used to running crobat in these games) but I havent found myself bored at any point.

*Censored* whoever designed the trade system though.

Archived