The Pokemon Thread

Jmerc

Yeah, saying "the number is too big" is really grasping at straws, tbh. "Gotta catch em all" is literally the the single thing that the franchise hinges on. I understand native Pokemon only being common in one region, and having to trade to get the others. But, they established all these high-tech computer devices for online trading across the foreign lands...they can't just play it dumb and take those away after they've been established. It's all pretty bad, tbh. Will I buy Sword/Shield? Of course I will. Do I think they're still going to be amazing? Of course I do. But none of that changes that Pokemon games, at their very core, should still be about "catching them all"...not about "catching an arbitrary number of Pokemon that may not be ones that you even like or care about".

Also, they should have used Let's Go as a jumping-off point. They had 151 Pokemon in Let's go...fully rendered and ready to go. I always felt like the entire point of Let's Go even existing was to establish how a fully 3D game would function on the Switch. So...for them to go that far, and then still fail to deliver a full dex is kind of inexcusable to me. Just being honest. And they also saved boatloads of time by not having mega evolutions or Z moves. A whole lot about this process stinks of corner-cutting to me. And that's just a shame. They should have taken an extra year if that's what they needed.

They could have put out Jotoh DLC for Let's Go...which would have added the new models of all those Pokemon. Players could have enjoyed that for another year while they continued to work on Sword and Shield. Then they could have released Sword and Shield in proper form...with a full dex.

The unfinished nature of Sword and Shield is especially alarming given how forward and honest Nintendo was about Animal Crossing needing more time. It's just a shame. Is the game garbage because of it? No. Am I canceling my order or refusing to play it? Hell no. But, it's a shame. People should stop acting like it isn't.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not saying people are not within their rights to be upset about this, I am just saying this day was inevitable. We are not talking about 2D sprites anymore, we are talking about fully fledged 3D models. Let me put it this way:

At the moment there are 807 base Pokémon, that right there is 807 models at the bare minimum, how many other games come anywhere near a roster that big? Every Pokémon has a shiny counterpart as well, so the number is doubled, making it 1,614 already. At the very base of it all we are talking about making over 1,600 models work properly. It's no good if shiny Trubbish is crashing the game every time it called into battle.

Mega Evolutions add another 47 to the mix, making it 1,651. We add the shiny variants of the Mega Evolutions, in other words adding another 47, and it becomes 1,698. Alolan Pokémon add another 18 to the mix, which becomes 36 if we take shinies into account too, which makes the grand total of 1,734. And that is without taking the special edition Pokémon like the Spiky Eared Pichu or the customisable Pikachu from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire into account.

And it isn't just the models they need to work on. Let's say they want to include a new Flying-Type move called Turbulence. They need to decide which of those 807 Pokémon is going to be able to learn it, then make sure the animations work properly for each Pokémon able to learn it. If teaching Turbulence to Staraptor is going to crash the game, that is an issue.

On top of all that, each year the number of models is just going to keep growing and growing and growing, given that Pokémon is now a yearly series and they keep wanting to add new versions of Pokémon or even new Pokémon themselves to the series should we be starting a new generation.

If these games were not yearly, I would not be surprised if Game Freak was able to get them all in. But given the fact that they are constantly having to pump in more and more without taking anything out, plus them not having the size of many other AAA studios, I am not surprised they eventually said "enough's enough, we can't keep up". Honestly, I am SERIOUSLY impressed this did not happen sooner.

Not that I'm defending GameFreak or anything, but as for the delaying it thing, I don't think it's that simple consider how much other stuff they have going on between the anime, movies, other spin-offs, etc. Delaying the games would just *censored* with that.

As for using Let's Go Pikachu Pikachu Sucks as a jump off point, I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about Gen being in development before Let's Go was a thing. Not to mention that aside from The Pokemon models and maybe some animations, there's nothing in Let's Go they can actually use in Sword & Shield due to how different they are visually and structurally.

Honestly, it seems like the best we can hope for is that they patch this stuff down the line.

I'm not saying people are not within their rights to be upset about this, I am just saying this day was inevitable. We are not talking about 2D sprites anymore, we are talking about fully fledged 3D models. Let me put it this way:

At the moment there are 807 base Pokémon, that right there is 807 models at the bare minimum, how many other games come anywhere near a roster that big? Every Pokémon has a shiny counterpart as well, so the number is doubled, making it 1,614 already. At the very base of it all we are talking about making over 1,600 models work properly. It's no good if shiny Trubbish is crashing the game every time it called into battle.

Mega Evolutions add another 47 to the mix, making it 1,651. We add the shiny variants of the Mega Evolutions, in other words adding another 47, and it becomes 1,698. Alolan Pokémon add another 18 to the mix, which becomes 36 if we take shinies into account too, which makes the grand total of 1,734. And that is without taking the special edition Pokémon like the Spiky Eared Pichu or the customisable Pikachu from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire into account.

And it isn't just the models they need to work on. Let's say they want to include a new Flying-Type move called Turbulence. They need to decide which of those 807 Pokémon is going to be able to learn it, then make sure the animations work properly for each Pokémon able to learn it. If teaching Turbulence to Staraptor is going to crash the game, that is an issue.

On top of all that, each year the number of models is just going to keep growing and growing and growing, given that Pokémon is now a yearly series and they keep wanting to add new versions of Pokémon or even new Pokémon themselves to the series should we be starting a new generation.

If these games were not yearly, I would not be surprised if Game Freak was able to get them all in. But given the fact that they are constantly having to pump in more and more without taking anything out, plus them not having the size of many other AAA studios, I am not surprised they eventually said "enough's enough, we can't keep up". Honestly, I am SERIOUSLY impressed this did not happen sooner.

There not yearly tho

There not yearly tho

I'm sure something will change between now and when the games are released.

Also, they should have used Let's Go as a jumping-off point. They had 151 Pokemon in Let's go...fully rendered and ready to go.

they're reusing the same models from XY, they didn't remake them for lets go, the only new models they've made since 2013 are the new pokemon from gen 7 and 8, if you extract the models from gen 6, 7, and lets go, you'll find theyre the same files. it's nothing to do with time or anything, they've said there will never be a game with all Pokemon again, because they want to control the balance themselves. Some Pokemon will be gone for 10+ years, etc.

it's their choice to only have 142 staff. they have made 90 billion dollars, the most of any company in history

" Let's say they want to include a new Flying-Type move called Turbulence. They need to decide which of those 807 Pokémon is going to be able to learn it, then make sure the animations work properly for each Pokémon able to learn it"

its the same animation even if they give it to all 900 pokemon, each pokemon has two attack animations, special attacks, and psychical attacks. you really think they animate for each pokemon? there are pokemon that spit flamethrower out of their belly, or arm or something, because they don't animation it for each pokemon. some pokemon don't even punch for moves like fire punch because its keyed to their generic psychical attack animation. now tbf, a few attacks have unique animations like brave bird but in this instance, the attack covers the model meaning who uses it doesnt matter. lets not pretend they put in minimum effort for each attack

also, check the footage of scorbunny using double kick, not only is it just stood there as a kick icon hits the enemy, this is the same animation as gen 6 and 7 double kick

There not yearly tho

RG: 1996

Blue: 1996

Yellow: 1998

RB international: 1998 (was a different game than the JP versions with GF japan making the changes)

GS: 1999

Crystal: 2000

RS: 2002

Emerald: 2004

FRLG: 2004

DP: 2006

platinum: 2008

HGSS: 2009

BW: 2010

BW2: 2012

XY: 2013

ORAS: 2014

SM: 2016

USUM: 2017

LG: 2018

SS: 2019

In their entire history, they've only have 6 years without a pokemon game, however there are three instances of them releasing two games, so let's cut that in half to three years. only three years off with no pokemon game (Japanese release dates here)

not a yearly series my ass

Interesting that we're talking about models now because people are kind of losing their shit over that.

You know that we have a model for every Pokemon right? Well, apparently, we also have a separate model for every Pokemon that gets Dynamax'd. And that's not all. There are clouds above a Dynamax Pokemon representing how many turns it has. 3 turns left, 3 clouds, you get the picture. But all of those situations has a separate model as well. So that's what 4 models for the same Pokemon in Dynamax-mode? I don't know anything about coding, but that sounds like shit coding to me.

Back to Pokemon Sun & Moon: Lillie had a separate model for every scene, even in those where she was off-screen. The game also encrypts and decrypts and encrypts over a 100 times when a Pokemon gets loaded because it does everything separately, instead of getting them all in one go. That's apparently the code equivalent to opening a tool box, getting one tool out of a tool box, closing the tool box and then opening it again etc. etc. until you get all your tools, instead of grabbing all that you need the first time. When stuff like that gets confirmed by dataminers, I'm starting to get why they are in need of time so often, but if that time need is because of their own incompetence, then I'm not exactly sympathetic to the fact that they have so many things to model anymore.

Game Freak may not be as big as other triple A studios, but Pokemon is a triple A franchise and GF has a reputation with awful programming. If that programming is compromising a potentially great gaming experience, then maybe Nintendo or the Pokemon Company needs to look at a studio that actually can handle it.

5 months until release isn't much either. What realistically can change when you'll also lose time on beta testing, translation, cartridge building, distribution to every gaming store in the world that sells it and other stuff that I've probably missed. Don't expect major if any changes. I'm not. What you see at the demo is probably what you'll get at this point.

They're just idiots. They're a 90 billion dollar company and have 143 staff for no reason and apparently none of them know how to code properly

The more I think about the national dex situation, the more it bothers me.

If it is for "competitive balance" in league play...that's some dumb shit. Exactly what percentage of people playing these games play in competitive leagues? I know a lot of people do...but how are you going to prioritize that over the countless people who buy these games just to play Pokemon games and collect everything? I mean...a decision was made there, and it was a half-assed one.

The more I think about the national dex situation, the more it bothers me.

If it is for "competitive balance" in league play...that's some dumb shit. Exactly what percentage of people playing these games play in competitive leagues? I know a lot of people do...but how are you going to prioritize that over the countless people who buy these games just to play Pokemon games and collect everything? I mean...a decision was made there, and it was a half-assed one.

whats funny is that they already limit who you can use online with this symbol, which only allowed pokemon caught in the current gen to be used

I can't find a pic, but there's a little symbol Pokemon caught in the current gen get and you can only use those in VGC, so I guess they suddenly care about "battle spot" or whatever, when VGC is their thing

so according to a leak which came out in may which confirmed a lot stuff from the direct farfetch and meowth have alalon like forms in this one to

If you're talking about the leak that I think you're talking about (the whole Gala-dex), then that one has already pretty much been confirmed false, by the basis that it didn't include the two revealed legendaries. If you're talking about the 4chan leak...then yeah. That appears to be the case

so according to a leak which came out in may which confirmed a lot stuff from the direct farfetch and meowth have alalon like forms in this one to

If you're talking about the leak that I think you're talking about (the whole Gala-dex), then that one has already pretty much been confirmed false, by the basis that it didn't include the two revealed legendaries. If you're talking about the 4chan leak...then yeah. That appears to be the case
I'm talking about 4chan but can you contradict yourself in the post

Sure. Where would you like me to contradict myself?

Sure. Where would you like me to contradict myself?

The first leak would prove a gala dex

And it would confirm by thr secound link

Lmao. No

The second link went specifially into what would be in the game, stuff that has now been revealed.

The dex leak, as I said, has already been confirmed pretty much as fake, by the fact that it was a) apparently the English names, for some reason an b) The two OFFICIALLY CONFIRMED legendaries aren't in that leaked dex

• 2 weeks later...

Archived