The Pokemon Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, what I learned is to not ask Muur for any recommendation as he'll just tell you to get the latest version or whatever just because they have more features, even if they are inferior to the originals.

False

Ultra is shit, the original Sun/Moon is a million times better

Doesn't change anything I said. Of course the first gen won't be the best given things evolve. Even the best technology in its time can't stay the best in an evolving world. but if it's still pretty good, then that's pretty commendable. The series at its core is still an RPG game where you basically capture Pokemon and battle others to be known as the best trainer, that still hasn't changed.

... I hope.

Tbh, the first gen-game was a buggy piece of shit lmao, but a loveable piece of shit.

Gen 2 was amazing and could've been even better now that the beta got leaked.

I don't like Gen 1 anymore though, not even in remakes. Too boring to me now. We've developed too much.

I get what Gen is saying. I don't necessarily feel the same way, but his POV is fair with how Pokemon originally was down to earth, with just some stronger ones in the legendary trio with the weirder ones either self-constructed (Mewtwo, Porygon) or the alpha Pokemon in Mew, who we weren't allowed to see in the first place.

Gen 2 had the time-traveler Celebi + Ho-oh who resurrected dead Pokemon to go with the Phoenix theme, but that was it.

Gen 4 was when they began to really turn it up by introducing Pokemon who controlled all the fabrics of time and space and apparently gave all humans emotions and or a soul + basically God in Arceus.

Now we have different worlds and timelines and dimensions where other Pokemon live, far far away from the World Map we are in now. Although Giratina already had it's own dimension.

But I like those kind of developments. Because they're usually done extremely well imo. But I see how it can be seen as less favorable to others.

You're not as old as you think you are Gen.

Has nothing to do with my age, and everything to do with yours. I was born in 1988, and Pokemon Red/Blue were released in 1996. I was 7 or 8 years old. Your profile says you were born in 1993...so, you're telling me you played those games when they initially released...when you were 2 or 3? I kinda doubt that, tbh. I believe that you went and played them at some point...but I feel like you probably played Gold and Silver first. Just a hunch.

Has nothing to do with my age, and everything to do with yours. I was born in 1988, and Pokemon Red/Blue were released in 1996. I was 7 or 8 years old. Your profile says you were born in 1993...so, you're telling me you played those games when they initially released...when you were 2 or 3? I kinda doubt that, tbh. I believe that you went and played them at some point...but I feel like you probably played Gold and Silver first. Just a hunch.

Pokemon isnt hard lol. I played gens 1-3 after each other once I got access to a GBA, around the age of 6-7. So whilst I played it slightly late, I still played them. was probably around, 1998-1999 or so

I'm not 100% sure on the years but I got a GBA with Crystal (Crystal was bundled with it), but also got Red as well from the GAME store the same day. I then did Red, then Crystal and then gen 3 came out

So we played them around the same age, a few years apart. before I got my GB, I was on PS1 playing stuff like Digimon World and Bust a Move

so fair enough it wasn't "when they came out" but it was close enough and I still started with Red

And...my point was never about Pokemon being hard, it was that you never played Gen 1 when it was original. Which, you just admitted is true...

Does it matter though? I was 6-7 as well, it was only a few years later and I still started with gen 1, you just played it 3-4 years before me. I just came in, mid gen 2, rather than start of gen 1. it was still the peak of Pokemania. in the age of no internet, I played it the exact same way you did at the exact same age and likely played gen 3-7 at the same times as you as well, you just had extra years of... no new games

Pokemon isnt hard lol. I played gens 1-3 after each other once I got access to a GBA, around the age of 6-7. So whilst I played it slightly late, I still played them. was probably around, 1998-1999 or so

I'm not 100% sure on the years but I got a GBA with Crystal (Crystal was bundled with it), but also got Red as well from the GAME store the same day. I then did Red, then Crystal and then gen 3 came out

So we played them around the same age, a few years apart. before I got my GB, I was on PS1 playing stuff like Digimon World and Bust a Move

so fair enough it wasn't "when they came out" but it was close enough and I still started with Red

Gameboy Advance come out until 2001 so if you were born in 93 u would been 9 and 2001 was pretty much the end of the Pokemon craze to better understand the first generation game you had to be in the Pokemon craze begin with which starting around 96

Gameboy Advance come out until 2001 so if you were born in 93 u would been 9 and 2001 was pretty much the end of the Pokemon craze to better understand the first generation game you had to be in the Pokemon craze begin with which starting around 96

just cuz I didnt get a GBA till then doesnt mean I wasnt watching the anime, or having merchandise like plushies and cards and stuff. I still got it "towards the end of gen 2" game wise, but I'd still seen the anime and had a shit tonne of cards and toys

and without the internet properly it didnt really matter when I got it lol, I still started with gen 1, then 2, then 3

I was way into the fandom still, all the shit with cards and such at schools getting banned

And again...none of that has to do with the discussion at hand...(which is that you missed the Gen-1 games when they originally released, and didn't play them until a later point in time)...at which point, of course they seemed underwhelming when compared to the things that GBA was capable of. When Red and Blue originally released for Gameboy, they were the hottest shit in town. You never experienced them on that level, so, you don't hold them in as high regard as most other people do.

Tbh, the first gen-game was a buggy piece of shit lmao, but a loveable piece of shit.

Gen 2 was amazing and could've been even better now that the beta got leaked.

I don't like Gen 1 anymore though, not even in remakes. Too boring to me now. We've developed too much.

I get what Gen is saying. I don't necessarily feel the same way, but his POV is fair with how Pokemon originally was down to earth, with just some stronger ones in the legendary trio with the weirder ones either self-constructed (Mewtwo, Porygon) or the alpha Pokemon in Mew, who we weren't allowed to see in the first place.

Gen 2 had the time-traveler Celebi + Ho-oh who resurrected dead Pokemon to go with the Phoenix theme, but that was it.

Gen 4 was when they began to really turn it up by introducing Pokemon who controlled all the fabrics of time and space and apparently gave all humans emotions and or a soul + basically God in Arceus.

Now we have different worlds and timelines and dimensions where other Pokemon live, far far away from the World Map we are in now. Although Giratina already had it's own dimension.

But I like those kind of developments. Because they're usually done extremely well imo. But I see how it can be seen as less favorable to others.

tbh stuff like that is why I really want to get the DS and play the latest Pokemon games. I can't criticize the games I haven't played, but I can defend the games I have. And clearly when people have played the latest generations, they're not gonna like the first gen for obvious reasons.

And again...none of that has to do with the discussion at hand...(which is that you missed the Gen-1 games when they originally released, and didn't play them until a later point in time)...at which point, of course they seemed underwhelming when compared to the things that GBA was capable of. When Red and Blue originally released for Gameboy, they were the hottest shit in town. You never experienced them on that level, so, you don't hold them in as high regard as most other people do.

I didn't say they where underwhelming when I played them. They were great games at the time, if I thought they were shit, why would I play the rest? I said they're bad NOW. In 2018. Not in the last 90s/early 2000s. The only games I played on GBA were literally Pokemon and one Yugioh game. and I DID experience the "hot shit" of Pokemon, I was literally there - I just wasn't able to get a GB till later. I still had people at school with the games, so I saw other people playing it. Pretty much everyone in school was Pokemon crazy

Just because something was good 20 years ago doesn't mean it's good NOW

Well it's all relative. I still wouldn't call them shit at all though (which you did). You can't always grade or compare comics, movies, games, ect.. of the past to those products of today. Not in certain aspects anyway. There's things that aren't as timeless. Knowledge, & technology for one has only gotten better of course. First person shooters are better in many ways now compared to the days of Goldeneye 007 but I still wouldn't call that game shit. There's still some leniencies that one can make when rating top rated games of 20 years ago to now. Pokemon is a great example actually because up until just a few years ago it played exactly the same and still does for the most part. Adding in certain features and more Pokemon is just a natural course of development for a franchise. Still plays very solid and good for a 20 year old game. You're just used to more now so you can't go back. No big deal but it's hardly shit. And doesn't mean you can't still call it good after all this time. It's just not something you prefer anymore. That's all.

Just because something was good 20 years ago doesn't mean it's good NOW

It doesn't "mean" that it is...but it certainly can be (and the general consensus is that those games are still solid games). There's no glaring aspect of those games that fails to work in the present time. You can still pick them up and play them to 100% completion, and have fun in doing so. There are things that have been added to the series since those games existed, and it's easy to get worked up about those things being absent...but that still takes nothing away from the core gameplay. That's like saying the original Super Mario is shit because it isn't Mario Odyssey. If that core gameplay still holds up, then it holds up regardless of what the current year is. Pokemon Red and Blue absolutely have that. You're a damn liar if you say otherwise. They were simple games with simple game mechanics...and simplicity never really "fails".

Speaking of which isn't it impossible now to play the original gold and silver Game Boy Color cartridges while you can still play red and blue without any problem

Nah, I can't imagine why this would be true.

All of those old Gameboy games will lose the capacity to save data as soon as the internal battery runs dry. And the battery can be replaced just as easily for either generation of game. If anything, I think Red and Blue might last longer, because they don't have an internal clock running 24/7. Gold and Silver had a day/night cycle and special events...so that probably drained the battery quicker than the original games. Still, I think all of the carts eventually run out.

Speaking of which isn't it impossible now to play the original gold and silver Game Boy Color cartridges while you can still play red and blue without any problem

All of those old Gameboy games will lose the capacity to save data as soon as the internal battery runs dry. And the battery can be replaced just as easily for either generation of game. If anything, I think Red and Blue might last longer, because they don't have an internal clock running 24/7. Gold and Silver had a day/night cycle and special events...so that probably drained the battery quicker than the original games. Still, I think all of the carts eventually run out.

Yup, exactly right.

All of them ran out a few years ago, meaning you will need to replace them which deletes saves, etc

All of them ran out a few years ago, meaning you will need to replace them which deletes saves, etc

Not really my yellow still works

Not really my yellow still works

Yellow ins't gen 2

Archived