NWA Discussion Thread

They tell VENUES who can and can't run shows there. They do have that blackmail history.

Proof?

Here's an excerpt. If you want more proof, buy a subscription.

There are other moves being made by WWE when it comes to ROH that are likely to become evident going forward. WWE has contacted at least one ROH arena with the idea of running shows provided they no longer book ROH - Meltzer, Wrestling Observer Newsletter 2015

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the NWA have a main territory? The only thing I know about the NWA currently is that Jazz is the Women's Champion and Rob Conway (yes, that Rob Conway) was a former tag team champion.

Rob Conway was actually the WORLD CHAMPION last time I checked out the NWA lmao.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Pwinsider.com, Billy Corgan told the site that his purchase of the NWA is 97% done, and that they were working out the final points that needed to be taken care of. Corgan has signed a deal memo that he will be purchasing the brand.

Corgan also stated that former TNA Senior Director of Creative Writing Dave Lagana would be his partner on the venture. He also confirmed that Jay Bradley aka Aiden OShea and Sherri Shaw, who had written music for Impact during the time period Corgan was President, would also be on board. OShea hadnt been used by Impact Wrestling since Anthem purchased the company.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/first-names-on-board-with-billy-corgans-nwa/

– Billy Corgan’s plan to buy the National Wrestling Alliance may have a serious bump in the road. PWInsider reports that the deal is “in jeopardy” according to multiple sources due to issues surrounding the transfer of the promotion’s existing copyrights and trademarks.

According to the site, the copyright and trademarks on the brand name lapsed last year. Bruce Tharpe’s International Wrestling Corp, LLC, which bought the NWA in 2012, re-applied for the trademarks on March 30th. The application has yet to be officially approved, meaning that it isn’t possible for them to be transferred to Corgan. Corgan has been in the process of buying the company from Tharpe including the name, rights and trademarks along with as the NWA Championship title belt, Tharpe’s stake in the NWA on Demand VOD service and licensing of the Paul Boesch wrestling library.

If the deal somehow does not go through, the future of the NWA is unknown although Tharpe would very possible continue the On Demand service as well as licensing the NWA brand name out to indy promoters. Corgan and Dave Lagana have been seeking to establish relationships with promotions which have licensed the NWA name.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/billy-corgans-nwa-purchase-possibly-in-jeopardy/

• 2 weeks later...

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the deal for Billy Corgan to purchase the NWA is said to be in a weird state. Corgan does have a signed deal with Bruce Tharpe and they are aware of the issues in play (issues surrounding the transfer of the promotions existing copyrights and trademarks), but the money has not changed hands and Corgans side hasnt officially taken over. At this time, the NWA affiliates are basically on hold, waiting to find out what is going to happen.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/update-on-billy-corgans-purchase-of-the-nwa/

• 2 weeks later...

– It appears as if Billy Corgan’s purchase of the National Wrestling Alliance is ready to go through. PWInsider reports that the NWA’s trademarks have now been assigned from Bruce Tharpe’s International Wrestling Corp. to Billy Corgan’s Lightning One, Inc. Lightning One is now the owner of all the trademarks.

Corgan announced plans to purchase the NWA back in May, though issues around the trademarks having expired had thrown the purchase in doubt. With that concern now alleviated, everything seems to be clear for Corgan to finalize the deal with Tharpe. Once that is done, Corgan will own the name, rights and trademarks to the NWA as well as the rights, control and possession of the NWA championship belt, plus Tharpe’s interest in the the NWA Video on Demand streaming service and the Boesch family library.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/nwa-trademark-issues-reportedly-cleared-for-billy-corgans-purchase/

I'm late seeing this but I swear the NWA World Title is one of my favorite titles of all time. It's a shame NWA has remained so outdated over the years though. I used to want WWE to buy them then I realized that would be a huge mistake. But can you imagine guys like Nakamura and Styles and more baffling to make that title as prestigious as it once was. It's just such a beautiful title.

• 2 months later...

In an update on the status of Billy Corgan and his attempted purchase of the National Wrestling Alliance, PWInsider.com reports that Corgan is indeed the new owner of the company now but he's going to wait until licensing agreements with other companies expire before he starts to take control over the promotion. This should happen some time in October, although Corgan will also be busy preparing for an upcoming music tour.

Still no word on what exactly Corgan might have planned for the NWA.

https://www.wrestlingnewssource.com/news/48116/Update-on-Billy-Corgans-Purchase-of-the-National-Wrestling/

• 3 weeks later...

The National Wrestling Alliance era under Billy Corgan's ownership will officially kick off on 10/1.

All of the member promotions who had licenses to use the NWA initials and branding under the company's Bruce Tharpe ownership will end the day before. Going forward as of 10/1, the NWA will be whatever it is deemed to be under Corgan and Dave Lagana's leadership.

As part of that transition, the NWA On Demand streaming service will be shutting down. This a by-product of Corgan's purchasing Tharpe's interest in the Paul Boesch Houston territory library. The ownership of the library still remains with the Boesch family but Corgan will have the ability to control the library going forward.

As part of the new regime, NWA champion Tim Storm appeared at last night's Championship Wrestling Hollywood taping in California, doing an angle where Nick Aldis confronted him. That is the first time the NWA title has been featured in CWH since Tharpe took ownership of the NWA organization. Marquez had formerly been a huge cheerleader for the NWA brand and title and had been the core promotion that built the Adam Pearce vs. Colt Cabana feud that was chronicled in the Seven Levels of Hate documentary.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=112497

It would be huge for the NWA right now if Billy Corgan could somehow, someway get the Big Gold Belt from WWE to use as the world title. Not saying it would be at all easy though, just something I think would get a lot of people's attention lol.

They need to put the world title on someone good, get it off Tim Storm and put it on someone better than Aldis. I don't know what Trevor Lee's contract situation is regarding indies but I think he'd be a great fighting champion, dude can have a good a match with anyone. They need someone to have a long run with it and defend it everywhere.

Billy Corgan revealed his plans to begin running NWA shows this spring. Corgan told Busted Open Radio that the company will begin running shows this spring, with a few weekly shows planned. Corgan also confirmed that the previous NWA affiliate agreements are dissolved, as the company let them all lapse.

Yea, its a huge challenge, but Im excited by the opportunity, he said. Its amazing, the people that reached out in the history of the NWA, and they see me as sort of lead custodian of it, and I take that job very seriously. I want to sort of restitch the history where it belongs, and hopefully move this thing forward so we can get back to the business of making the NWA important in the world of wrestling.

Talking about his plans, Corgan said, One thing we dont want to do, we dont want to do what a lot of people do in wrestling and make a bunch of promises that never come true. We really see the NWA as a long term thing, and we want to build it the right way. So, weve been very cautious about the sort of information we let out theres plenty of things to hype, but if they dont come true, we dont want that sort of adversity coming back on the NWA.

He continued, So, heres the thing: weve been talking to just about anybody who is in the market for wrestling content, and theres still a healthy interest in the NWA. I think that sort of shows that buying it is still meaningful, because it still means a lot to a lot of people. Of course, the next set of questions is What are you going to do with it? Well, essentially, were on a path, unless something changes in the near future, were on a path to start running shows in the spring, and what I say by that is we originally started by just being a television product. And what I mean by that is we are probably going to do shows for free on the internet. We havent worked out the specifics yet, but we will hopefully be a weekly show that anybody can watch, anywhere in the world for free behind no paywall. Well start signing talent and start running our own shows. We want to build up the brand by putting the wrestling first, and the product first, and hopefully well create a fanbase and some momentum, and if we make deals its off of what we are doing and not what we hope to do. That doesnt mean something cant change in the near future; were still talking to everyone that is in the market and has shown interest in NWA. From the biggest people to the smallest people, were open for business, but I am going to say here today, and I wanted to save it here for you guys, because I felt that you were the right form to do it, where people can hear it in my voice that we are actually going to start producing content and doing our own shows by the spring.:

NWA Heavyweight Champion Tim Storm appeared on Championship Wrestling From Hollywood and delivered his mission statement, as you can see in the below video:

https://411mania.com/wrestling/nwa-news-billy-corgan-says-shows-begin-running-spring-tim-storms-mission-statement/

• 4 weeks later...

The National Wrestling Alliance released episode three of their digital series Ten Pounds of Gold late last night, featuring the announcement that former Impact Wrestling champion Nick Aldis (Magnus) would be challenging NWA champion Tim Storm on 11/12 at a Championship Wrestling from Hollywood event. The episode also features Corgan discussing the importance of the NWA championship and making reference to his attempts to help Impact Wrestling financially. The series, thus far, has been very well done and unique in how it's approaching its storytelling:

Promotional material from the episode notes:

William Patrick Corgan (Billy Corgan) bought the NWA/National Wrestling Alliance in summer of 2017. In Ten Pounds of Gold Episode Three, we follow The Smashing Pumpkins frontman who has been interested in professional wrestling his whole life and was the president of TNA Impact Wrestling in 2016. With so much drama around his exit from TNA, the major question asked of Corgan is what are the three letters NWA worth? The legacy of the NWA and the Worlds Heavyweight Championship is tied to the great names all the way back to 1948 when the National Wrestling Alliance was founded.

During this NWA Ten Pounds of Gold, Corgan returns to Nashville, Tennessee to perform a live concert at the CMA Theater at the Country Music Hall of Fame. Before the concert, Corgan visited the former offices of TNA Impact Wrestling at Cummins Station telling the story of what happened with his former wrestling company. He explained why the three letters NWA, representing the National Wrestling Alliance, and the Ten Pounds of Gold mean so much to him.

Interwoven in this Ten Pounds of Gold is the story of Nick Aldis challenging the current NWA Worlds Heavyweight Champion Tim Storm. In conclusion of this episode, William Patrick Corgan announces the date and location of the first NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship match.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=113272

Archived