NWA Discussion Thread

Smashing Pumpkins front man and former TNA Wrestling President Billy Corgan has agreed in principle to purchase the National Wrestling Alliance, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources. The deal in place would see Corgan purchase the name, rights, trademarks to the NWA as well as the rights and possession of the NWA championship belt.

[...]

A number of questions remain as the deal closes including what does new ownership mean for the current NWA member promotions and what would this mean for the NWA on Demand Video service. Of course, the biggest question revolves around what exactly Corgan's plans for the National Wrestling Alliance will be.

We will have to wait for those answers as attempts by PWInsider.com to reach Corgan for comment have, thus far, been unsuccessful.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=109356

Well, this is interesting.

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he did more good than bad for TNA, so I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Besides, NWA is doing jack shit all without him anyway. What's the last time they were truly relevant? 2007 in TNA? Maybe 2008 in ROH. There's really nothing that Corgan could do at this point to harm NWA, considering that it's already at the bottom of the barrel.

I'm hoping that he somehow gets a television deal and decides to go head to head with TNA, purely out of spite. WWE might be too big to fail at this point, and therefore not capable of a proper 'Monday Night War' ever again...but TNA vs NWA could certainly prove interesting...especially with the history. TNA vs NWA...the Thursday Night Slapfight. I'm down.

He's going to need to make his own stars for the most part...because pretty much all of the people who would make really good free agents are already taken. But, it will be possible. The indy scene is flush with awesome talents that are being underutilized. If he can take some of those people and help them actually make names for themselves, then he'll be in business. But it will be a struggle at first. Ryback might be a solid "world famous" name to grab, if possible. I feel like he would have that draw that would get people interested, and then he could focus on said building of other stars once he has people's attention.

Either way, he has two things going for him...1) The name value associated with NWA. 2) He's famous, so he has friends in high places. - If he can make both of those things work for him, then I think he has a proper shot. He loves wrestling, he's passionate about ownership. He isn't just doing it to make money. All of those things are fantastic for us.

I think he did more good than bad for TNA, so I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Besides, NWA is doing jack shit all without him anyway. What's the last time they were truly relevant? 2007 in TNA? Maybe 2008 in ROH. There's really nothing that Corgan could do at this point to harm NWA, considering that it's already at the bottom of the barrel.

I'm hoping that he somehow gets a television deal and decides to go head to head with TNA, purely out of spite. WWE might be too big to fail at this point, and therefore not capable of a proper 'Monday Night War' ever again...but TNA vs NWA could certainly prove interesting...especially with the history. TNA vs NWA...the Thursday Night Slapfight. I'm down.

If he wants to compete with TNA, do what they are doing and make deals with international promotions. There are a few Japanese promotions that they can make deals with like Dragon Gate, All Japan and Wrestle-1 with the latter two having ties to the NWA.

Also, according to wikipedia (not sure if accurate or not) R. Bruce Tharpe is still the president. I've always been a bit unclear about how presidents and owners work. Is it one of those situations where the president makes the day to day decisions, but the owner can say "nope, we're not doing that" if he has different ideas?

Also, according to wikipedia (not sure if accurate or not) R. Bruce Tharpe is still the president. I've always been a bit unclear about how presidents and owners work. Is it one of those situations where the president makes the day to day decisions, but the owner can say "nope, we're not doing that" if he has different ideas?

The owner simply owns the company. The president and leader boards make all the decisions. They obviously have to please the owner, so that they can still access the money and everything. But overall the owner isn't really in a controlling role, if there's a president and/or a leader board.

Smashing Pumpkins front man and former TNA Wrestling President Billy Corgan has agreed in principle to purchase the National Wrestling Alliance, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources. The deal in place would see Corgan purchase the name, rights, trademarks to the NWA as well as the rights and possession of the NWA championship belt.

[...]

A number of questions remain as the deal closes including what does new ownership mean for the current NWA member promotions and what would this mean for the NWA on Demand Video service. Of course, the biggest question revolves around what exactly Corgan's plans for the National Wrestling Alliance will be.
We will have to wait for those answers as attempts by PWInsider.com to reach Corgan for comment have, thus far, been unsuccessful.

This is possibly the last chance we could get to see WWE up their game and make things interesting.

The owner simply owns the company. The president and leader boards make all the decisions. They obviously have to please the owner, so that they can still access the money and everything. But overall the owner isn't really in a controlling role, if there's a president and/or a leader board.

But, the owner can decide to fire the president and hire a yes-man, could he not? Doesn't a president essentially just become a yes-man to the owner if he wants to remain employed?

This is possibly the last chance we could get to see WWE up their game and make things interesting.

And this dude clearly missed where I said that WWE was too big to fail and would never be a part of another television ratings war ever again. :lol:

But, the owner can decide to fire the president and hire a yes-man, could he not? Doesn't a president essentially just become a yes-man to the owner if he wants to remain employed?

That depends on how the company is run.

Usually owners can't just straight up fire the assigned leaders if they want to. Mostly because of contracts with safety measures to prevent that exact thing from happening. There are some exceptions, but these companies usually don't really last long.

After all running a company is not easy and not everything is suited to do so. It's like hotels have an owner and a manager, with the manager hiring staff and doing basically everything, with the owner only providing the resources.

After all running a company is not easy and not everything is suited to do so. It's like hotels have an owner and a manager, with the manager hiring staff and doing basically everything, with the owner only providing the resources.

But a hotel/restaurant owner can fire the managers. :lol:

But, nah...I get what you're saying.

They had their belts defended in New Japan as late as 2015, I don't know how their partnership worked, though.

I know CMLL has a few "historic" NWA belts that get defended every few weeks there but I don't know if they are legit or not?

Seems to me like those belts are not actually associated with NWA, and are just belts to commemorate the relationship that CMLL once had with the National Wrestling Association...but, yeah...I don't really know either.

I know CMLL has a few "historic" NWA belts that get defended every few weeks there but I don't know if they are legit or not?

they used to be Partners with the NWA, but then that ended and CMLL kept the titles anyway, although these were never seen as World titles by the NWA

The belts CMLL has are I believe the light-heavyweight title, and if they did have a partnership then there's those belts are legit. In any case, the best thing Corgan could do is as others already said, build a good working partnership with other companies like CMLL and NJPW as well and then have NWA talent take on the best of those countries and put their own belts on the line and truly make them world titles. I don't think NWA can compete with WWE because there's just too big of a difference, but they can surely compete against an actual "wrestling" company, one that prioritizes wrestling over "entertainment".

Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan isn’t out to the wrestling business just yet … he will soon be the new owner of the famous NWA.

National Wrestling Alliance president Bruce Tharpe confirmed the sale via Facebook, saying, “As everyone knows by now – Billy Corgan and I have agreed on principle regarding his acquisition of the NWA brand. This decision comes after many weeks of negotiation and deep consideration.

“Although Billy Corgan may be a fresh face to wrestling – he is an extremely successful businessman and has a deep admiration and respect for the NWA. He is also putting together a very strong team.”

The sale reportedly does not include NWA’s tape library or the NWA on Demand streaming service.

As we previously reported, Corgan tried and failed to take full control of Impact Wrestling during his 19-month tenure with the company. He eventually sued the company and settled with Impact’s new owner Anthem Sports.

http://www.prowrestlingsheet.com/nwa-billy-corgan-president-confirms/#.WQi9fFIZOAx

I'm probably more excited for Billy controlling NWA than I ought to be. Like...I know it probably won't be this impressive transition to power where NWA regains relevancy and goes head to head with TNA or anything...but I have high hopes that it will be.

I’m excited to see what Billy Corgan does with NWA too. Any time a fan with a lot of money decides to get involved in the business it’s fun to watch, but Corgan is also a shrewd businessman and promoter, unlike the WhatCulture nerds, for example. Corgan did wonders for TNA and Resistance Pro was a breath of fresh air compared to the other generic indies out there at the time.

And I don’t want to see NWA competing with anyone. That completely defeats the purpose of the promotion. The idea is that smaller wrestling organizations should work together as part of a larger league. That’s the whole point in kayfabe, and it makes more sense in real life. What would going to war with a company like Impact Wrestling even accomplish? Competition is good and it’s unfortunate that WWE has none, but one of the main reasons that they don’t is because there’s too much competition between the little guys.
There isn’t enough demand for pro wrestling to warrant how much competition there is on that level of the industry. Most wrestlers get paid peanuts while the promoters continue to have these petty little feuds that help no one. It makes it harder for the wrestlers to make a living and denies the fans the chance to see more dream matches. The promoters are just bleeding money because of their old fashioned, bullshit carny mentality. People like to shit on Jeff Jarrett and don’t get me wrong, I understand why, but I think it’s great how he’s been trying to form all of these partnerships with other promotions around the world. That’s the direction I’d like to see more companies go in, and that’s what NWA was all about. Jeff Jarrett is still tinkering with his original GFW concept and NJPW laid out plans for a similar international league. I’d like to see Corgan work with one or even both of these guys.
I don’t want to see the whole industry consolidated into one or two promotions. But if some of these guys don’t start working together, that might happen some day. WWE’s strategy is clearly to divide and conquer, and so many of these stupid promoters play right into their hands. I’d hate for their to be a day when you can no longer see organic, traditional lucha libra made by mexicans, for mexicans. But unfortunately that’s the direction we’re heading in. WWE is the worst kind of globalization. The cool thing about NWA is that even if this goes nowhere, they will always stand out just by being a famous promotion with a rich history that isn’t entirely owned by WWE. I’d like to see Billy Corgan put his own spin on it, but I also respect NWA for doing their own thing all these years.

Archived