Why Roman Reigns might be pushed so much... [Theory]

GoreTench

No, man. I don't think winning fictional achievements is that important to his family to blackmail the company.

Well look at how important it was for Hulk Hogan or Shawn Michaels to sabotage others momentum in order to stay on top, for fictional achievements. I'm not saying blackmail is possible, but the need to stay on top, or to keep someone on top, can definitely influence some people in the wrong way.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the guy who brought up drugs, I legit would be down to smoke the type of bud that provided the delightful theories presented in this thread.

Didn't know I'd be considered an insufferable parasite for asking.

Salvia mate, I thought I was inside a pop up book.

Indica edibles make me feel like that. So I can't imagine what I'd be seeing with salvia.

The stuff you would need to know to blackmail Vince :lol:

Not sure I'd WANT to.

I'll bet he has detailed files on people though.

I know it's cliche to say it, but the only reason Roman Reigns is being pushed so hard is because of threads like this. He's the new "most controversial WWE Superstar™"! It's funny to think that if we had as much discussion about Alex Riley, he would be the face of the company right now instead. Maybe even Bo Dallas. All they had to do was create some buzz, but they couldn't do it. Roman Reigns is the perfect guy for the job in WWE. Anywhere else, he'd be abysmal. But in WWE, being able to generate buzz and speculation is all you need.

I enjoy watching Roman Reigns fail. I looked forward to seeing him drop the ball at WrestleMania. I was a little concerned that me may not deliver. Maybe he had improved since I last watched him. Nope. He delivered and I'm sorry I ever doubted him!

If you like the WWE style, he brings something to the table for everybody. Maybe you're like me and want to see a car crash. Maybe you genuinely just like the character (nothing wrong with that!). Or maybe you're one of the many people who gets just as much enjoyment out of complaining about wrestling on the internet as you do actually watching. Whatever the case, the Big Dog has you covered.

I know it's cliche to say it, but the only reason Roman Reigns is being pushed so hard is because of threads like this. He's the new "most controversial WWE Superstar™"! It's funny to think that if we had as much discussion about Alex Riley, he would be the face of the company right now instead. Maybe even Bo Dallas. All they had to do was create some buzz, but they couldn't do it. Roman Reigns is the perfect guy for the job in WWE. Anywhere else, he'd be abysmal. But in WWE, being able to generate buzz and speculation is all you need.

I enjoy watching Roman Reigns fail. I looked forward to seeing him drop the ball at WrestleMania. I was a little concerned that me may not deliver. Maybe he had improved since I last watched him. Nope. He delivered and I'm sorry I ever doubted him!

If you like the WWE style, he brings something to the table for everybody. Maybe you're like me and want to see a car crash. Maybe you genuinely just like the character (nothing wrong with that!). Or maybe you're one of the many people who gets just as much enjoyment out of complaining about wrestling on the internet as you do actually watching. Whatever the case, the Big Dog has you covered.

I honestly think if something were to happen to RR, he'd do well on the indies considering how, despite the reaction, popular he is.

You can really sum it up like Crowley said, or you can look at it this way.

1: He appeals to WWE's target audience (kids)

2: This drives merchandise sales.

3: Clearly he appeals to the ladies

4: He creates buzz

5: Vince likes him, because he has the "big man" type look that he feels a WWE superstar "hero" should be.

6: He can be connected to the legacy of Duane Johnson, who currently is the biggest name in Hollywood action. So that may draw fans of "post WWE" Rock to the product.

7: He's not actually entirely useless in the ring - despite the hate he receives. He can display good agility, and I don't think his basic wrestling technique is that bad either.

I honestly think if something were to happen to RR, he'd do well on the indies considering how, despite the reaction, popular he is.

The man is a natural heel. If they'd gone with the same plan they used with the Rock in 1998 they'd be printing money off him by now.

5: Vince likes him, because he has the "big man" type look that he feels a WWE superstar "hero" should be.

6: He can be connected to the legacy of Duane Johnson, who currently is the biggest name in Hollywood action. So that may draw fans of "post WWE" Rock to the product.

7: He's not actually entirely useless in the ring - despite the hate he receives. He can display good agility, and I don't think his basic wrestling technique is that bad either.

The man is a natural heel. If they'd gone with the same plan they used with the Rock in 1998 they'd be printing money off him by now.

Dude can definatly wrestle, he's not original like Kenny Omega or Sami Callihan, but he can sure put on a match. His series with Styles wasn't that bad actually.

"Anywhere else, he'd be abysmal"

Now that's a little bit too much...

I think he makes perfect sense in WWE, but take him out and he's nothing. Think about him without his name and all the references to the The Rock. Most casual fans are going to lose interest in him just by virtue of the fact that he isn't a WWE superstar anymore. He doesn't have the crossover appeal that someone like John Cena does. The average casual fan is going to write him off as another one of those bitter, ex-WWE guys who didn't make it. The diehard fans will be curious and they'll want to boo him, but the novelty of that will wear off really quick because suddenly he's not being shoved down their throats anymore. They would no longer feel like he's some huge threat to wrestling. How is he going to be "the most controversial superstar" when he doesn't have the WWE's platform? He can't be. That's his whole appeal. That's the only reason he's made it this far. You can't do that act on a smaller stage, and without that act, he's screwed. He's not big or jacked enough to stand out. He's nothing special on the mic. And in-ring, he'd only look even worse. I hate to say it, but the guy isn't even the greatest athlete. ROH can give him a long list of flashy moves to try and make him look like some technical wizard, but people are going to see right through that. Imagine Impact Wrestling pushing Roman Reigns to the moon despite all the fans protest to try to recapture that feeling he has in WWE. It wouldn't work. Keep in mind this whole time he'd be called Leakee or something...

Roman didn't drop the ball, though.

I think he did. He literally dropped Undertaker and *censored*ed up one of the most important parts. But that's not even the reason I think he failed. He failed because the whole thing had a weird, awkward, still vibe to it. It didn't feel larger than life. How do you manage to make a wrestling match involving a zombie wizard with bad hips boring? I watched it with people who were only vaguely familiar with WWE, and even they thought something about it just seemed "off".

But like I said, in a sense, Roman was a success. Because he created a lot of buzz by having a bad match. And personally, I get more enjoyment out of bad matches than average ones.

Holy shit can we stop saying that "Vince lieks big guys" in 2017.

I think you're overlooking just how unique and charismatic Roman actually is. No one else has his look, mannerisms and general sense of how to "work the cameras" (something that's also a lost art within the current WWE regime). His appeal has nothing to do with him being The Rock's cousin. Like I've said elsewhere, you can compare him to the Usos. They both have the same qualities, actually, just in different styles of wrestling (singles wrestling and tag team wrestling).

And you can bash him for the match with Taker, but it wasn't even close to being a bad match. You're right about the feeling in the arena, but that was due to Undertaker struggling his way through the match after the announce table spot. It's easy to blame Roman for everything, but it takes two to tango. The crowd was the same in that match as they were in Taker's matches with Brock and Bray, but all of a sudden it's Roman's fault? That makes no sense.

And if Roman really did drop the ball, that promo on the Raw after Mania would have been a flop- it was the opposite.

Anyone who main events Mania 3 years in a row is gonna get 'a buzz' and topics like this, I don't get that point...

Holy shit can we stop saying that "Vince lieks big guys" in 2017.

Lol, is it not true? Oh nevermind, it isn't because Daniel Bryan and CM Punk were WWE champs. Please.

And Finn Balor...and Kevin Owens...and AJ Styles...and Rey Mysterio.

I think it's amusing to think of a wrestler the size of, say, Finn Balor walking up to Vince with Vince looking at them with pure disgust in his eyes. That's how most fans on the internet think of Vince- as this bitter old man in a suit who has something against a wrestler less than 6ft tall.

I think you're overlooking just how unique and charismatic Roman actually is. No one else has his look, mannerisms and general sense of how to "work the cameras" (something that's also a lost art within the current WWE regime). His appeal has nothing to do with him being The Rock's cousin. Like I've said elsewhere, you can compare him to the Usos. They both have the same qualities, actually, just in different styles of wrestling (singles wrestling and tag team wrestling).

And you can bash him for the match with Taker, but it wasn't even close to being a bad match. You're right about the feeling in the arena, but that was due to Undertaker struggling his way through the match after the announce table spot. It's easy to blame Roman for everything, but it takes two to tango. The crowd was the same in that match as they were in Taker's matches with Brock and Bray, but all of a sudden it's Roman's fault? That makes no sense.

And if Roman really did drop the ball, that promo on the Raw after Mania would have been a flop- it was the opposite.

The match was flat because:

1: The people had sat through 7 hours of wrestling

2: Taker was in such bad shape after 5 minutes that you felt pain just watching him.

3: There was no suspense because everyone knew Roman was winning.

4: Because of the blind hatred people have for Roman, he could have made Taker look like Okada and still been booed out of the building.

5: The post Mania promo was heat with a capital "H".

And Finn Balor...and Kevin Owens...and AJ Styles...and Rey Mysterio.

I think it's amusing to think of a wrestler the size of, say, Finn Balor walking up to Vince with Vince looking at them with pure disgust in his eyes. That's how most fans on the internet think of Vince- as this bitter old man in a suit who has something against a wrestler less than 6ft tall.

Like, I don't want to call you an idiot but do you genuinely believe Vince doesn't have a preference for bigger guys? Like honestly? AJ Styles, Rey Mysterio, Finn Balor, Kevin Owens, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk. Which one of those was seen by the WWE as 'The guy'?

Well when Bryan became loud and obnoxious in 2012 I bet you Vince loved him and saw him as the guy. He probably loved the fact that Bryan grew out his beard and became a guy that kids could enjoy simply because he had a funny look.

Punk in the SES probably made Vince's head turn. I bet you Vince loved the infamous Pipebomb too.

Rey, I imagine Vince saw something in him the first time he saw him. The ability was obvious, but Rey's charisma has always been outstanding.

AJ Styles, I bet Vince loved AJ as soon as he met him. The way AJ carries himself, his intensity in everything he does and his charisma are the things most wrestling fans overlook when it comes to him. But maybe Vince saw that right away.

As far as Balor and Owens, I have no idea. They don't really carry themselves with a certain aura or magnetism, do they? Maybe he finds them boring. Who knows? You're asking me a question that I can't answer well because I don't really know Vince.

Point blank, I get the feeling that Vince recognises charisma. He sees charisma in Roman Reigns (as we all do whether some will admit it or not).

Archived