Official Mae Young Classic Discussion Thread

E#37

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 5

Best episode so far, imo. The main was really good, Bianca looked pretty impressive. That hair whip, though, Kairi was *censored*ed up by the end of the match, marks all over. Kinda worrying that she had neck tape on too...

Oh and can someone let me know what EST stands for? Cause Lita sure as *Censored* was no help.

I think the EST nickname for Bianca Belair is a play on her first/last name beginning with the letter "B"(EST). That's just me guessing, but who knows lol.

Anyways, I'll give my thoughts here in a minute. Just made it to the Semi-Finals, and this has easily been a whole lot better than the earlier rounds as I had expected.

If that's what the EST is all about that's pretty dumb imo.

Episode 6

Still not sold on Shayna Baszler, Idk if it's just because she's in the WWE or if it's like that everywhere but it's painfully clear she's going easy on her kicks, they look so weak. 4HW vs 4HW at Survivor Series, though? Dakota Kai and Rhea Ripley had a damn good match, too.

Episode 5-8

I don't really like Shayna Baszler too much, although most of her matches were pretty entertaining. I'll be gutted if she beats Kairi...and I can definitely see it happening.

Anyways, just about every match was pretty good this go around. My favorites were Storm/Piper, Storm/Sane, Kai/Ripley, and Belair/Sane. Was rooting really hard for Toni to go all the way, but at least she made it to the semi-finals. Had a feeling it was gonna come to down to her and Kairi when the brackets were released.

Watched all 4 episodes again and it seems they cut out the 3vs3 match that were aired during the semi finals. :(

I wanted to watch it badly cause I heard it was a great match between tessa, kay lee, jazzy vs santana, sarah and marti.

Was looking forward to this:

Other than that I liked all episodes but I still think they partially didn't go all out.

Funny fact:

Piper and Toni pulled a match they had in stardom in the past. :P

I thought I had a dejavu or something but then I remembered where I saw these motions before. :)

Episode 7

Toni vs Piper was fun. Dakota Kai vs Kairi was good but I was expecting more, wish they'd have given them 5 more minutes because I feel like that match could've been really great. It's pretty clear Kairi is on a different level than everyone else so I hope Toni Vs Kairi steals the show and I think that match needs to be really great otherwise this tournament will be quite disappointing, and I didn't have great expectations to begin with.

Episode 5

Something about Bianca just really irritates me. Hopefully she remains a Heel when she eventually shows up on NXT because she is so easy to hate and wanting to see get beat up. Also, that hair shit needs to be a reason for a DQ. It's the same as using a belt on someone and that's not allowed either.

Clearly the best episode so far, pacing of the matches was a lot better.

The commentary really drags this down so much though. Lita is such a charisma vacuum during the matches, just godawful.

Episode 7:

Salty that Candice lost, but Jesus, Blayzer heel af.

Toni vs Piper was fun, that German tho

Kairi vs Kai could've been longer but it was good.

Episode 8:

Forgot Martinez and Shayna know each other, lol, added more to the match.

Toni vs Kairi was good, would've been content with either winning but it was obvious Kairi was winning.

The staredown at the end tho ?. Finals is pretty unpredictable, Shayna could very well win but I want Kairi.

SIGN TONI

Spoilers for the Tournament in General:

TL;DR: Shayna Bazsler sucks and doesn't belong in the Finals of the tournament.

I went into this with way better expectations that what happened. I had the first round completely spoiled for me, go figure. I watched it anyways, but yeah. I'm pretty disappointed with how things panned out. To preface this, I've been disappointed with WWE's booking for the last several months.

Before sitting down to watch, I was hoping that Dakota Kai would go far in this tournament. I completely expected Kairi Sane to go all the way to the finals. I ended up rooting for Piper Niven and a couple of other outstanding competitors in the tournament - needless to say, they're all eliminated now.

As the second round drew to a close, it became shockingly clear to me what they were doing. It's super obvious they were going for a "big dog vs little dog" finale, and I'm fine with that. However, I'm completely uninterested in the way it turned out.

This whole Four Horsewomen of WWE vs Four Horsewomen of MMA is completely stupid. I don't watch MMA, I don't care about MMA, keep it out of wrestling. I don't care about cross-promotion or whatever you want to call it here. The two are entirely different entities. Even worse, the on reason Shayna Bazsler is even in the finals is because they're pushing this stupid storyline. It literally makes no sense to me in the confines of the tournament.

So, we've got arguably one of the best wrestlers today, regardless of sex, going up against one of the greenest wrestlers I've seen in a while (I don't give a flying saucer about her MMA career or whatever). She's not impressive at all: Kick the thigh, kick the thigh, kick the thigh, reverse finisher, suplex transitioned into rear naked choke. That's it. It's comparable to Lesnar, but at least Lesnar is interesting enough to watch - at least for me. Anyways - She squashed everyone in the tournament up until Mercedes Martinez and that was obviously going to be a different match because of the history between the two. That sucked to watch as well.

Granted yeah, I'm a fan of powerhouse/monster heels in general, but this... yeah, no thanks. She's not a believable monster. Jazzy Gabert was the believable monster in the tournament. I expected her to go far, actually, but she was felled early on by Abby Laith. It's clear that Piper Niven was playing the competitive babyface powerhouse, otherwise, she could have been another shoe-in for a monster heel in the tournament.

It's way too obvious to that they're pushing this MMA vs WWE thing and it's terrible. I watch wrestling for wrestling - not for MMA or boxing or any other "legitimate" combat sport. Hell, I'm tired of the strike heavy booking in WWE in general. I'd be very very surprised if Kairi Sane loses in the Finals. She's that good. Hopefully *hopefully* Sane makes the match entertaining because Baszler surely won't.

Now that I've said my peace about all that, the rest of the tournament was fun to watch.

I researched quite a few of the ones that caught my eye ahead of time - Lucha libre is by far (far far and away) my favorite wrestling style, so Princesa Sugehit was a shoe-in for me. Dakota Kai's attitude really caused me to gravitate towards her early on - really love that "around the ring" kick she does into the corner too. I had seen Piper Niven (as Viper) on a few WCPW shows beforehand, so I knew who she was, but she didn't do much for me then, but I became a fan as she reminds me a bit of Vader, for having a similar ring presence. Toni Storm and Candace LaRae were also enjoyable.

So yeah, I figured I'd end on a more positive note. I just wish WWE would stop being blatantly obvious and so predictable when it comes to their tournaments. It happened in the CWC as well, but I won't go into that.

Sigh.

Wrestling.

Haven't had the chance to watch episodes 5-8 yet, but wow, surprised by the lack of conversation on here.

Well having to put everything in spoilers is annoying as *Censored*.

Yeah it's really hard having to add a couple of characters to the post to form a spoiler tag...

Episode 5

Best episode so far, imo. The main was really good, Bianca looked pretty impressive. That hair whip, though, Kairi was *censored*ed up by the end of the match, marks all over. Kinda worrying that she had neck tape on too...

Oh and can someone let me know what EST stands for? Cause Lita sure as *Censored* was no help.

EST isn't an acronym. To Bianca it means that she is the FastEST, the StrongEST, works the HardEST and is simply the bEST at everything she does.

Haven't had the chance to watch episodes 5-8 yet, but wow, surprised by the lack of conversation on here.

Well having to put everything in spoilers is annoying as *Censored*.
Yeah it's really hard having to add a couple of characters to the post to form a spoiler tag...

Lmao so true. You have to type your post anyway.

Episode 5

EST isn't an acronym. To Bianca it means that she is the FastEST, the StrongEST, works the HardEST and is simply the bEST at everything she does.

Ooooh, that makes sense, thanks.

Episode 7

I've never legitimately disliked a Superstar but Shayna works as a heel very well! I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if she wins this whole thing however, not because I dislike her but because she's not that great in the ring although, first match aside, her matches against more experienced opponents have been pretty good.

Really annoys me that she doesn't shake hands haha

Archived