WWE Women's Division Discussion Thread

Ernez

It's absolutely part of that neglect and shouldn't be praised just because it may have given a select few nearly untalented women 4 minutes every week. There may have been talented women in there too, but the cons fair outweigh the pros. As is with Total Divas itself. Just because it may given some insignificant benefits to the Divas at the time, doesn't mean it did anything for it in the long run.

It's not. Maybe the immediately show derived matches were trivial, but WWE doesn't do them anymore. They did what they set out to do after they'd established the core crossover group between the two. I really wouldn't consider the sister show insignificant, either, as it guaranteed the women would have a spot every week, whereas in early 2013 and in months before following most of what WWE considered their top females leaving, it wasn't a guarantee. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean that plenty of other guys, women, LGBT and children don't like the show, don't like the women and won't financially support the product after seeing it by watching RAW or SmackDown and/or buying a t-shirt.

I really feel like this narrative is weird considering that for as many of as are savvy enough to read between the lines in other aspects of the product, the one WWE-fed thing that some people always buy is that the NXT-trained women are the only people who made people care about women. The immediate post-Trish era had a plethora of women who could work at that level, but just couldn't, and they sustained a pretty cult following that made #GiveDivasAChance and the shifted focus on strengthening the main roster's presentation organic. Anyone without a passion for wrestling in that initial cast of girls aren't in the company anymore. The Bellas, Naomi and Natalya are still really popular and doing good things to put eyes on the product, and the most talented in-ring of the four is the champion and doesn't get any reaction from any of the people dismissive of the 'Diva' caricature. What gives?

It's weird, but not surprising to me that people actually defend Nikki's statement of Total Divas helping the revolution.

People got it backwards with Total Divas anyway. It wasn't that TD got them to invest more in women's wrestling, them wrestling was just to promote storylines and produce clips to be used on TD. So it's like saying Ziggler got a push when he beat Miz as the KFC-Colonel. The sole purpose of the matches is to promote a show outside the spectrum that is the WWE Universe. In terms of advancement, it did nothing for the women's division.

It deserves no credit. Trying to give it to them is ludicrous.

Something that gives an external audience a reason to be interested in an otherwise neglected portion of the product deserves no credit?

Reality TV shows are fake. The interest they generate in the product isn't. NXT looking for a 'hot new product pitch' is not the ONLY reason why the women are relevant today. And neither is Total Divas. It's because they should've been relevant for the past ten years, which encompasses the both, among many other contributors.

That's not what Total Divas is though.

Total Divas wasn't there to get people to watch wrestling. The wrestling matches involving the cast was there to get people to watch Total Divas.

So it deserves no credit. Shit like Total Divas is what people were complaining about when talking about the disrespect from WWE towards its women's wrestlers. It is part of the neglect. Not part of the revolution. The rest of it is talking over the point.

And Total Divas, a show chronicalling WWE performers and centering around said matches, is not to get people to watch RAW/SmackDown and become more invested in the division in general? #GiveDivasAChance was about how asinine Total Divas is and not because the women were and still are robbed of decent time to work on most of the weekly shows?

I assume that you can read, so you should know what I said and what I meant, so how about you do this differently than the whole fake question-routine?

Reading doesn't coincide with immediate comprehension. I'm trying to understand the angle you're coming from, so pardon me for trying!

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, Total Divas doesn't really present the women on the show as athletes and competitors. It overemphasizes the glamorous lifestyle that some of the women within the company live and it broadcasts fake and inauthentic drama, as most reality shows do. It doesn't represent all the women in the company.

To be fair, Total Divas doesn't really present the women on the show as athletes and competitors. It overemphasizes the glamorous lifestyle that some of the women within the company live and it broadcasts fake and inauthentic drama, as most reality shows do. It doesn't represent all the women in the company.

It's probably because women aren't all one in the same and the ones not involved have already had a distinct appeal.

I'd really like some examples of the glamorous lifestyle trope outside of the various weddings and John/Nikki scenes (and it's John's money, not hers, so lmao), as most of the scripted storylines directly deal with backstage dynamics at WWE, from creative to injuries-- the latter sort inherently presenting them as athletes.

Even still, the content of the show isn't the point as much as the platform is and the specific focus it brought on the women. The women who don't do the show don't need to, and even still, recent additions haven't really needed it either. It's not this gateway to a world completely separate from wrestling as people like to believe as much as it is an extension, ala a Tough Enough, which people tend to not have as many complaints about whenever it rears its head.

It's absolutely part of that neglect and shouldn't be praised just because it may have given a select few nearly untalented women 4 minutes every week. There may have been talented women in there too, but the cons fair outweigh the pros. As is with Total Divas itself. Just because it may given some insignificant benefits to the Divas at the time, doesn't mean it did anything for it in the long run.

It's not. Maybe the immediately show derived matches were trivial, but WWE doesn't do them anymore. They did what they set out to do after they'd established the core crossover group between the two. I really wouldn't consider the sister show insignificant, either, as it guaranteed the women would have a spot every week, whereas in early 2013 and in months before following most of what WWE considered their top females leaving, it wasn't a guarantee. Just because it's not your cup of tea doesn't mean that plenty of other guys, women, LGBT and children don't like the show, don't like the women and won't financially support the product after seeing it by watching RAW or SmackDown and/or buying a t-shirt.

I really feel like this narrative is weird considering that for as many of as are savvy enough to read between the lines in other aspects of the product, the one WWE-fed thing that some people always buy is that the NXT-trained women are the only people who made people care about women. The immediate post-Trish era had a plethora of women who could work at that level, but just couldn't, and they sustained a pretty cult following that made #GiveDivasAChance and the shifted focus on strengthening the main roster's presentation organic. Anyone without a passion for wrestling in that initial cast of girls aren't in the company anymore. The Bellas, Naomi and Natalya are still really popular and doing good things to put eyes on the product, and the most talented in-ring of the four is the champion and doesn't get any reaction from any of the people dismissive of the 'Diva' caricature. What gives?

It's weird, but not surprising to me that people actually defend Nikki's statement of Total Divas helping the revolution.

People got it backwards with Total Divas anyway. It wasn't that TD got them to invest more in women's wrestling, them wrestling was just to promote storylines and produce clips to be used on TD. So it's like saying Ziggler got a push when he beat Miz as the KFC-Colonel. The sole purpose of the matches is to promote a show outside the spectrum that is the WWE Universe. In terms of advancement, it did nothing for the women's division.

It deserves no credit. Trying to give it to them is ludicrous.

Something that gives an external audience a reason to be interested in an otherwise neglected portion of the product deserves no credit?

Reality TV shows are fake. The interest they generate in the product isn't. NXT looking for a 'hot new product pitch' is not the ONLY reason why the women are relevant today. And neither is Total Divas. It's because they should've been relevant for the past ten years, which encompasses the both, among many other contributors.

That's not what Total Divas is though.

Total Divas wasn't there to get people to watch wrestling. The wrestling matches involving the cast was there to get people to watch Total Divas.

So it deserves no credit. Shit like Total Divas is what people were complaining about when talking about the disrespect from WWE towards its women's wrestlers. It is part of the neglect. Not part of the revolution. The rest of it is talking over the point.

And Total Divas, a show chronicalling WWE performers and centering around said matches, is not to get people to watch RAW/SmackDown and become more invested in the division in general? #GiveDivasAChance was about how asinine Total Divas is and not because the women were and still are robbed of decent time to work on most of the weekly shows?

I assume that you can read, so you should know what I said and what I meant, so how about you do this differently than the whole fake question-routine?

Reading doesn't coincide with immediate comprehension. I'm trying to understand the angle you're coming from, so pardon me for trying!

No, you're not, you're mocking what I said through a thinly-veiled question. Like how did you come to the conclusion that #GiveDivasAChance is about a protest against the show Total Divas? I don't feel like I should go out of my way to explain to you that, especially the second question implies I said Total Divas is the problem or part of the problem. I never said that. I said Total Divas cannot be seen as part of the solution. Big difference.

My angle couldn't be more clear. The Women's Revolution was to step away from the idea that women on the main roster are simply filler, a waste of space, pure eye-candy, toilet breaks etc., they're just divas. A show like Total Divas did nothing to change that perception. Nikki + you guys say it did. When people protested, it was because they knew there are girls who could go and had already proven they could go. And because they wanted WWE to invest time into the girls. What role did Total Divas play in that?

That hashtag, when it started, Total Divas already was on the air for three seasons. Three seasons and it led to nothing. Part of people's frustration also came from the contrast with NXT. On the main roster, they got 4 minutes. In NXT, they got 4-star ratings for their matches. So people were upset that, on the main roster, we mostly had failed models and all that and that NXT had a really good women's division going on. The Women's Revolution was about the main roster having a serious women's division. A show that introduced Eva Marie in order to get mainstream attention and then have her be champion to cash in on said-mainstream attraction didn't help one bit.

How exactly are things going to go AFTER the Mae Young Classic? How is it going to be decided whether or not a lady gets a full time job with WWE? I ask because I remember sitting through the Cruiserweight Classic and not all of those guys from before are around.

I know some of these ladies already signed on with WWE and have a spot on NXT like Lacey Evans and Kairi Sane, but what about the rest of them? Is the competition just going to be a "one and done" type of deal? They show us what they got in the tournament and afterwards drop off the face of the Earth?

How exactly are things going to go AFTER the Mae Young Classic? How is it going to be decided whether or not a lady gets a full time job with WWE? I ask because I remember sitting through the Cruiserweight Classic and not all of those guys from before are around.

I know some of these ladies already signed on with WWE and have a spot on NXT like Lacey Evans and Kairi Sane, but what about the rest of them? Is the competition just going to be a "one and done" type of deal? They show us what they got in the tournament and afterwards drop off the face of the Earth?

Shayna Baszler competed at NXT live events last week. They'll probably sign her for a MMA 4HW vs. WWE 4HW match.

Charlotte is back on the road starting today.

Hopefully this is a sign of Ric's condition improving

https://twitter.com/PunksPepsi/status/901188147341647873

From yesterday Wizard World Chicago she updates the fans on her Dad.

She made a video with Becky on Becky's IG page today.

The ones that had to change their names were already signed.

The ones without a name change are not signed but some of them were booked for matches already like Shayna and Jazzy (a dark match unfortunately) as far as I know.

Shayna Baszler competed at NXT live events last week. They'll probably sign her for a MMA 4HW vs. WWE 4HW match.

They'll sign her for more than 1 match...

I'd think that Nattie is the best option to them for either Carmella to cash in on or a big call up like Asuka or Ember to come in and dominate her for it.

And well I think she deserves it. She works hard all year long and this is her pay off.

Legit can't understand why Nattie's boring ass is champion. ?

According to Lita and several others, Nattie can wrestle circles around most of the men in the Company.

She is also one of the most respected and hard workers in the Company.

In my opinion she deserved to be Champion for a long time now and her new gimmick fits her.

I genuinely thought we were going to see Natalya win the title, have Carmella cash in and then Natalya loses her rematch but demands another shot, wanting a redemption storyline so Carmellsworth make her put her career on the line and she loses that too... I genuinely thought we were going down a retirement storyline for Nattie

While Nattie is good in the ring and I respect her lineage, I've never been overly wowed by many of her matches although she consistently brings good matches out of lesser girls

Archived