PlayStation vs Nintendo 64

ZEF

PlayStation vs Nintendo 64  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better console?

So this past weekend I've been having a retro gaming marathon and realised that despite it being over 20 years since both consoles were released, I still haven't ever been able to decide which of the two I prefer out of the PlayStation and Nintendo 64.

It seems like one of those debates that'll never have a clear answer since it's all down to personal preference, but I thought it could be a good topic to discuss.

So what's the common consensus on this debate? Which of the two did you or do you prefer and why?

I was always more of a PlayStation kid back in the 90s but played my fair share of Nintendo 64 games too (I got the N64 a little while after the PS1 so PlayStation had a bit of a head start for me). Going back to play them now though, they both hold about an equal amount of nostalgia for me and if anything it's harder for me now to decide on a favourite than it was when they were the big dogs of the gaming world.

Wouldn't even say wrestling games and platformers. FPS? Definitely.

007 and Perfect Dark were better than anything PS had. But, when it came to wrestling, N64 had No Mercy...and that nWo Revenge game. I think it depends on whether you liked the SD series or not. PS had more wrestling games, I think...but N64 had those two specific ones that people obsess over. And as for platformers...again, I'm thinking "no" on that. I can't think of specifics...but I'm pretty sure PS1 had some great platformers.

The PS1 definitely had more wrestling games, but only had a few quality ones. Power Move, WCW vs the World, and Sd were ok. Sd2 was good. World Tour, Revenge, WM 2000, and No Mercy were all great. It is a little more even with imports, but still the N64 takes it.

Platformers are closer. The PS1 had some good 2d, 2.5d, and 3d platformers. If we're only talking about 3d platformers, Spyro and Ape Escape are the only games that could hold a candle to Mario 64, DK 64, Banjo, and Conker's.

PlayStation... by a slim margin.

The PS1, to this day, still reminds me of my first apartment... and killing lots of brain cells on a Friday/Saturday night as my friends and I played Resident Evil 1 & Battle Arena Toshinden until the wee hours of the night.

Good times!!!

The PS1, to this day, still reminds me of my first apartment... and killing lots of brain cells on a Friday/Saturday night as my friends and I played Resident Evil 1 & Battle Arena Toshinden until the wee hours of the night.

Good times!!!

Now there's a game that never got enough love.

Good times!!!

Now there's a game that never got enough love.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more... one of the more underrated games that arrived early in the PS1's lifespan.

Only ever played an N64 a few times in my childhood. PS1 was my first console. Vivid memory of getting it for Christmas, along with Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1, Spyro: Year f The Dragon and Smackdown 1, along with a VHS of Wrestlemania 17 and spending the next few days not knowing what to play/watch.

I do think that Nintendo, and the N64 have a very special place in gaming history though. Games like Super Mario 64 were revolutionary at the time, and while I'm not certain I want to say that the N64 was the first console that brought an analog stick into the mainstream. I think the PS1 may have had more, but the N64 did more.

Super Mario 64

Donkey Kong 64

Diddy Kong Racing

Banjo Kazooie

Conker's Bad Fur Day

Mystical Ninja Goemon

Mario Kart 64

Star Fox 64

F-Zero X

Golden Eye 007

Perfect Dark

WCW/nWo Revenge

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

Super Smash Brothers

The N64 had a lot of great games. Hell, look at my profile for my thoughts on this console. But I would give the nod to the PS1, solely for the slightly more impressive library it had.

People saying "quality over quantity" are tripping. It's really not "quality"...it's just a preference. PS1 was not loaded up with shoddily made games or anything. Plenty of quality on both sides. "Quality over quantity" statements make it sound like PS1 had hundreds of games that hardly functioned, or that nobody wanted to play. That just isn't true.

Playstation had a bigger library of games but none of those compared to the best games on the N64. Classic quality over quantity for me.

Name me all those great games that are better than Metal Gear Solid then. I could do with a laugh.

Archived