Resident Evil (Series)

Ernez

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RE4 will probably be a looooooong ways off (if at all). The only reason why 3 is happening so quickly, is because it's set in Raccoon City, which was already designed for the RE2 remake. Also, RE4 isn't that old in itself...and Code Veronica is probably more likely to be remade after 3.

But 4 is regarded by some as the best game in the series. It would make a ton of money.

And it still does. The ports of the original still sell like hotcakes. That's kinda the point. It was...and still is regarded as a fan favorite, and people still buy/play it for that reason. It doesn't need a remake. Everything from 4 and onward has seen new life already by releasing on Switch and whatnot.

Like WNX said, I think these remakes were more about bringing those PS1/N64 games up to relative speed with everything else. Code Veronica may have been PS2 Era...but it was right on that fine line. It was a Dreamcast game first...and the graphics and controls still hadn't reached the level of RE4 yet. I really think these REmakes are just about presentation and nostalgia. RE4 doesn't exactly need a tuneup in either of those areas.

Man, that Jill re-design bums me out. Reminds me of the approach they took with Lara Croft's re-design (which I also disliked). It's just... boring. No character. I really wish they would've stuck with her RE1 remake/RE5 face. The re-design seems completely unnecessary. Also wish they would've stuck with the original RE3 outfit as well, but in this day and age, I'm not surprised that they changed it. Too "skimpy" or whatever.

I'll likely still play it, but honestly, the Mr. X shit in the RE2 remake really soured me on the whole 'run away from the invincible monster' thing (you technically didn't have to always run away from the Nemesis in the original, but still). I'm over it. Though, I'm confident that the concept will be done better than it was done in the RE2 remake.

As for the Nemesis re-design, I'm fine with it. The changes are pretty insignificant and harmless to me.

Graphics look great...but, to me, this seems to be lacking everything that made the original special. This looks flat, like a tech demo or something. Like, they clearly spent all the time making the RE2 remake perfect...but, with this one they said "the pan is still hot, throw that shit in there". I guess a big part of it is going to be atmosphere and background music...which was cut here and overlayed with dramatic trailer music. So...maybe that's what I'm missing most.

Packaging Resistance in there with 3 instead of it being standalone is a good call. It's coming waaaaaay quicker than I thought it would though. Really hoping it's not a throwaway game but obviously they were already working on 3 alongside 2 as they use alot of the same assets. I see them puttinf out a,double pack down the line for next gen before we hear any CV stuff

Can I just say though... Carlos is sexy as sheeit. I love it, XD

^Agreed. The original voice is miles better.

Man, I hate to be so negative towards one of my all-time favorite series, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing so far (although I'm glad that Jill's original costume is a pre-order bonus, at least). I'm not discounting it just yet, though, given that we've seen very little.

• 4 weeks later...

The flame-thrower really lacks the intimidation factor of the rocket launcher, but yeah, it's definitely more believable. Jill tanking a blast from a rocket launcher would look pretty silly in this game, given the more realistic presentation (compared to the old games).

My only concern is, how many of these Nemesis encounters are going to be set-pieces? Most gamers probably don't mind it, but I can't stand set-pieces in video games. They're minimally-interactive and boring. I feel no sense of connection, intensity or dread when I know that I'm just being strung along and playing out a sequence of events that I have virtually no say-so in.

Some screenshots from reddit seem to show that Nemesis still gets his rocket launcher. The prevailing theory seems to be that it'll depend where you are in the game which weapon he's using.

Archived