Resident Evil (Series)

Ernez

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say 1 for me. Although there's a general dislike for 5, I have great memories of playing it cos it was one of the first co-op games I played. We got the platinum and squeezed everything we could out of it.

Honestly, I don't play the RE games...except for bits of 4...and I played through all (I think) of 5 with a friend one night (in co-op). I always watched my brother play the earlier ones...and I loved watching those. Resident Evil 3 was my favorite in terms of sitting and watching. I just enjoyed the apocalyptic city atmosphere over the mansion atmosphere...and Nemesis himself, of course.

What's everyone's fav? Mines 2

It was 2 for a long time, mainly because I only had an N64 and played that one first and only for a while. I loved it though, then finally sometime around 2005 or so I got a PS2 and bought a copy of RE 4, then that became not only my favorite RE game ever, but one of my favorite games ever. I probably played through it 10 or 12 times by now. My favorite it to play with Leon in the gangster outfit, and Ashley in the armor outfit so she can't be picked up and carried away. Then I tell her to stay in one spot, climb up somewhere, and then wait for the evil monks to go after her and shoot them. I also love using the type writer machine gun or whatever it's called. What a great game.

5 is cool too as someone said because of the co-op and the setting. 6 was such a huge disappointment though, me and my bro tried to play through it but damn it sucked. All the prompts and button mashing made for one awful experience.

I was never really into the R.E series until Revelations 1 (not because of a lack of interest, but because I was busy with the massive amount of fighting games that came out during the 90s). Until a few years ago the R.E series was one of those series that I told myself I'd get to eventually. I'm definitely going to grab RE7 at some point, I played the demo and it was amazing. It reminded me a lot of P.T.

RE Remake and Resident Evil 3 are my favourites. I thought Resident Evil 2 was too short and not very challenging, in terms of boss fights.
Code: Veronica is undoubtedly the hardest of them all, but it got really frustrating at times. That's one reason why I like RE3 better, it did everything right.

It's just a shame to me, that Resident Evil left behind its roots...because there really isn't anything that plays like that anymore. Resident Evil 4 may have been seen as an innovator in games...with that "over the shoulder" camera, etc...but I think the current direction of the series leaves much to be desired in terms of paving its own way. There are certainly other games that play like RE4, and 5, and 6, and now 7. I think 7 has done more to be unique than 4,5, and 6 did...but there are still other games out there that have that "being chased" gameplay. Nothing feels like the classics in terms of solving puzzles, managing supplies, the music, the atmosphere, the suspense, everything. The only games that really compared to the Early RE games were things like Silent Hill or Parasite Eve...and those were legendary games in their own right.

It's just a shame to me, that Resident Evil left behind its roots...because there really isn't anything that plays like that anymore. Resident Evil 4 may have been seen as an innovator in games...with that "over the shoulder" camera, etc...but I think the current direction of the series leaves much to be desired in terms of paving its own way. There are certainly other games that play like RE4, and 5, and 6, and now 7. I think 7 has done more to be unique than 4,5, and 6 did...but there are still other games out there that have that "being chased" gameplay. Nothing feels like the classics in terms of solving puzzles, managing supplies, the music, the atmosphere, the suspense, everything. The only games that really compared to the Early RE games were things like Silent Hill or Parasite Eve...and those were legendary games in their own right.

From my understanding they compared it to COD, and didn't want to make the same type of games. Although TBH, I feel like this is just a cash in with how popular P.T. was.

I get what they're doing. I just don't agree with it...

Instead of RE having this rich, flowing, connected universe like it should...it instead feels like an anything goes "American Horror Story" type thing now...where every game is completely disconnected from the others. And I know that they still try to connect them in one way or another...but I don't agree with it. Resident Evil should have stayed as zombies...first and foremost...with some other horribly mutated monsters mixed in...because that's what makes sense. Sometimes as the people turn into zombies, they mutate too far and become horrible creatures. I get that. It's a cool concept. But they convoluted the shit out of it with parasites, and cults, and now there is just a Texas Chainsaw feel to 7. I just wish they had presented the series as this episodic thing earlier...not taken something that people already loved, and turned it into a directionless "anything goes" kind of "every game is different than the last" experience. I just get this "ten pounds of shit in a five pound bag" feel from the RE franchise these days...

Archived