Today I Learned...

ZEF

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TIL that, in a football/soccer match in 1989, a Chilean goalkeeper named Roberto Rojas did an actual blade job to get the other team, which was Brazil, excluded from the 1990 World Cup in favor of Chile. The situation was that a flare was thrown from the Brazilian crowd near Rojas, who appeared to be hit by it and was rolling on the floor in pain. His teammates then found him bleeding profusely from the head.

With the game called off and the damage appearing to be done by Brazilian supporters, Brazil was looking at exclusion from the 1990 World Cup as punishment, losing the game with Chile automatically which would've seen Chile go to that World Cup. However, an Argentine photographer captured the moment on camera and in that, also the moment where Rojas cut himself with a razor blade that he hid in his goalkeeper gloves.

With the revelation of the blade job, the Argentine photographer saved Brazil from punishment. The international governing body, FIFA, incensed by the deception, decided to exclude Chile not only from the 1990 World Cup, but also the 1994 World Cup. And the blading goalkeeper? Banned for life. Career over.

Punishing a whole team and country for what one guy did is pretty harsh.

Dustin Rhodes is the only wrestler in AEW That's not a High Flyer.

Today I learned that Craig Warden doesn't know what a high flyer is.

WYM? Look at the roster!

Doing a dive =/= being a high flyer

I forgot that Jericho, Hangman, Omega and Cody were all high flyers. That Ace Romero guy also looks like he can pull off a corkscrew 450 standing moonsault as well.

Labelling someone a high flyer is so antiquated now. Wrestling has changed, those styles of wrestling are (for the most part) no longer applicable. Especially because the best wrestlers in the world can do all of it.

And LEGION is right. Doing a dive doesnt make you a high flyer.

I wasn't saying doing dive made you a High flyer, I am saying starting the match where all defense mechanisms consist of doing nothing but planchas and moonsaults and where the finish would usually be an unrealistic sequence. I don't want every match to be Will Ospreay vs Ricochet.

I wasn't saying doing dive made you a High flyer, I am saying starting the match where all defense mechanisms consist of doing nothing but planchas and moonsaults and where the finish would usually be an unrealistic sequence. I don't want every match to be Will Ospreay vs Ricochet.

Good thing neither Ospreay nor Ricochet is a part of AEW then. And even if they were... I doubt that they would face each other in every single match on the card.

I'm not sure what you mean by unrealistic finish sequence though. High Flyers usually have less ridiculous finishes than other styles of wrestling.

TIL that WWE released the theme from St Valentine's Day Massacre! This is a huge deal for me. Lol It's such a trippy theme.

Isn't that just the old Paul Wight and Luke Gallows theme?
It is. But not talking about that. Do you remember the little valentine's day song the lady is singing in the intro of the ppv?

When Ric Flair wears red he's going to lose the match when he wears blue he's going to win the match

I'm not in the position to look this up right now...but it sounds like some austin-level shitposting.

It is of course, he lost at WM 24 wearing blue and he won against Hogan at Uncensored 99' wearing red. Beat Eric Bischoff wearing red too. Lost to Stone Cold wearing blue. Twice if going by tag team matches, then the W/L record in red or blue attire is longer than what I listed.

It's not always true but it's true most enough to know that there's a pattern kind of like

Kind of like when fans notice Kane pyro if he does it before the match he's going to lose

But don't blame me I got the Ric Flair theme from whatculture

Lmfao the backpedaling

Archived