Today I Learned...

ZEF

I don't recall ever seeing this topic in my time here so thought it could be a fun way to discuss little known facts to do with the world of wrestling that we've stumbled across over the years. (And it doesn't have to literally be something you learned today obv...)

I'll start things off:

Today I learned that before she became a wrestler, Asuka used to do figure skating.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I learned that John Cena was legit "polarizing" figure in and out of the ring. Just heard stuff from Alex Riley & Tyler Reks and its clear as day that he's a major douchebag. But then other stuff came out from fans, make-a-wish people, and any other WWE personnel that said he's a larger than life person that cares so much about the biz and the people involved in it blahblahblah.

Cool topic idea, I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, but the topic got me interested and I did a quick Google search, so here's a few surprising facts...

1. John Cena hasn't won a match at SummerSlam since 2007 (if he loses this year, that will be a decade of losses for WWE's top draw at WWE's second biggest event of the year)

EDIT: I just looked into this, Cena actually won in 2010 in the Team WWE vs Team Nexus match at SummerSlam. So I guess you could say he hasn't won a singles match at SummerSlam since 2007.

2. Jeff Hardy never won a match at WrestleMania. His record was 0-5. The only guy with a worse WrestleMania record is Goldust, who is 0-6.

3. The guy who made some of Macho Mans colourful outfits, Michael BRRRAAAAAAAAUUUUUN, also designed outfits for Jimi Hendrix, Cher and Bon Jovi.

4. Sin Cara (Hunico) used to work in a morgue.

5. Entire quote taken from Sportster.com, because this is just too badass to put into my own words:

"Its easy to shrug gloating off when it comes to professional wrestling, but Wade Barrett really did compete as a bare-knuckle boxer in Europe. From all reports, he was also incredibly good at it. After one event in which Barret won, he was attacked by an attempted robber who threatened Barrett with a knife. Although Barrett hasnt made much comment on the incident, he reportedly received a 12-inch cut across his back and was taken to hospital after severe blood loss. Funnily enough, he still managed to escape with the money."

6. In 1999 Goldust pitched an idea to Vince McMahon where he would receive $1,000,000 breast implant surgery to try and pump some life into his character (pardon the pun). McMahon reportedly considered the idea, but ultimately ended up firing Goldust shortly after.

7. And finally, some people may already know this, but I just had to put it down because I just find it hilarious... The Undertaker is terrified of cucumbers.

Stone Cold got his name from a serial killer.

Wasn't it from his then-wife saying that if he didn't drink his tea it'd get stone cold?

The killer guy inspired Austin to want to get a nickname that relates to cold for his cold blooded character. Ice Dagger and Chilly McFreeze were ideas, then the tea cup thing happened

I can only imagine a world where Chilly McFreeze made the cut instead of Stone Cold :lol:

I wonder if The Chilly McFreeze Stunner would've stuck.

Wasn't it from his then-wife saying that if he didn't drink his tea it'd get stone cold?
The killer guy inspired Austin to want to get a nickname that relates to cold for his cold blooded character. Ice Dagger and Chilly McFreeze were ideas, then the tea cup thing happened

Yep!!

AJ Styles is the only man to compete at 4 current company's biggest PPV of the year. ROH Final Battle, WWE Wrestlemania, TNA Bound for Glory, and NJPW Wrestling Kingdom.

Plus if he main events WrestleMania he will be the first to do all 4.

Didn't Cody Rhodes do the same? Within a year?

Cody didn't wrestle at Bound for Glory :/

But if just making an appearance counts...Maria Kannellis also appeared on all four events. Luke Gallows and Jeff Hardy too. Karl Anderson is missing Wrestlemania.

The other day I found out that Buddy Rogers didn't ever actually win the first WWE title. There was never an actual match and Vince Sr. made up the whole thing as a work. Probably pretty well known, but I never knew about it till just a couple of days ago haha.

Just like the Intercontinental Title? Huh.

The other day I found out that Buddy Rogers didn't ever actually win the first WWE title. There was never an actual match and Vince Sr. made up the whole thing as a work. Probably pretty well known, but I never knew about it till just a couple of days ago haha.

Just like the Intercontinental Title? Huh.

Yeah he actually won a fictional tournament in Rio de Janiero, Brazil that McMahon Sr. made up to "win" the belt and be the first ever WWWF champion.

6. In 1999 Goldust pitched an idea to Vince McMahon where he would receive $1,000,000 breast implant surgery to try and pump some life into his character (pardon the pun). McMahon reportedly considered the idea, but ultimately ended up firing Goldust shortly after.

I listened to a recent podcast with Vince Russo where he said the WWF was getting a lot of heat because of the Goldust character and Dustin called him and said he'd be willing to get breast implants for the character, but Vince says it was just a spur of the moment thing and that he wouldn't actually do it.

AJ Styles is the only man to compete at 4 current company's biggest PPV of the year. ROH Final Battle, WWE Wrestlemania, TNA Bound for Glory, and NJPW Wrestling Kingdom.

Plus if he main events WrestleMania he will be the first to do all 4.

Didn't Cody Rhodes do the same? Within a year?

He was in Bound for Glory but didn't have a match, iirc.

TIL Paul Bearer was a shoot mortician before being in the WWF.

Oh yeah, TIL the president of the united states bought Raw for one week.

So not this then

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Cold_(Swindells_novel)

Book called Stone Cold where a serial killer kills homeless

It was, the character itself was based on Richard Kulklinski. Austin pitched the idea of an "ice cold" killer type and got names back from creative like "Fang McFrost" and "Chilly McFreeze".

I learned that The Rock lifted a lot of his promos from Rocky. "When all the dust has settled, and when all the smoke has cleared and they are done chanting your name".

That Big Show and Bryan were supposed to be Punks goons before the Shield came to be

Punk proposed that the Shield was made up of Chris Hero, Seth and Dean. Apparently Triple H and Vince vetoed Hero because they were looking for a vehicle for Roman Reigns.

Undertaker is physically sick at the sight of cucumber.

Archived