The Draft Process

Oresama

The Draft  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What past method do you prefer?

• 2007 Onward
  2. 2. What method do you think they'll use?

• 2007 Onward
    • Other
    • None

Random thing I was just thinking about whilst watching the 2004 Draft. Over the course of the original brand split, they used several different methods to draft Superstars from brands:

In 2004 the Draft took place on Raw and each General Manager received six random picks with post-Draft trades being allowed up until midnight that night.

In 2005 the Draft took place over the course of a month and each General Manager received five random picks.

From 2007 onward, interpromotional matches took place on Raw with the winner's brand getting a random pick. Supplemental Drafts took place following Raw on WWE.COM.

Which method would you prefer them to use in future? One of the above? Something new? Do you think NXT should be impacted/involved in the Draft?

I liked 2004 Draft except for the fact that it was so Raw focused. I'd have interpromotional matches take place but they would have no effect on which brand got a Draft pick and the brands would alternate in hosting the Draft each year. The 2005 Draft was cool too. I really liked the surprise element and the championship situation that unfolded. So I'd be fine with either one of those.

I didn't really care for 2007 onward except for the fact that they had interpromotional matches. I didn't like the Supplemental Draft either, far too many people got drafted.

I would like NXT to be involved in someway but I'm not sure how.

I liked the way they were 'random'. I mean obviously they're scripted but the feel of "anyone can get drafted!" and the oh shit! of someone big like Triple H or Taker or something was better when it was random vs "I want Undertaker" for me

While I prefer the match winner brand pick format, for some reason the 2005 draft is the most memorable of all time to me. I guess it's because it was in that perfect point for me anyway of being smart to the business (from a fan's perspective anyway) but it still wasn't tarnished with the internet and spoilers, etc.

Cena going to Raw and Randy and Batista going to Smackdown are the strongest memories of mine from that draft.

The thing I'm wondering the most about, is whether they'll draft an entire roster again and start from zero. That could mean people would get dropped from the roster if the GM's decided to call up a bunch of NXT-talent. Or that if you're not picked, you'll stay on your old roster.

Now that RAW and SD-rosters are actually set, it seems more sensible to go the old way post-2007, but it'd probably be hard to implent NXT-talent into the draft pool and it would only randomize a draft decision, where as now, the GMs have justified their picks and that is something I like. Gives more character.

The thing I'm wondering the most about, is whether they'll draft an entire roster again and start from zero. That could mean people would get dropped from the roster if the GM's decided to call up a bunch of NXT-talent. Or that if you're not picked, you'll stay on your old roster.

Now that RAW and SD-rosters are actually set, it seems more sensible to go the old way post-2007, but it'd probably be hard to implent NXT-talent into the draft pool and it would only randomize a draft decision, where as now, the GMs have justified their picks and that is something I like. Gives more character.

I think going forward it'll be random, maybe some trades and possibly match winners. GM's picking at podiums makes sense for the first draft, but after that it doesn't really need to happen.

I loved 2005's way best. It made it mean more, like when Cena went to Raw, Randy Orton attacking Taker, JBL thinking he won the world title then Teddy Long brings out Batista like a troll. Plus it brings more focus on each pick instead of overlooking some. Like 2004 you remember one because it overshadowed the rest were 2005 each one was somewhat remembered due to not having to be on the same show that Cena got drafted on.

Remember that year when Triple H got traded to Smackdown and it was a huge deal, only for it to be reversed a week later in a trade for the Dudley Boys?

I can't help but feel Smackdown always loses in these drafts, and that hurts it's legitimacy as a threat to Raw. We all know WWE sees Raw as the A Show.

Archived