World of Sport

classiq.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like Jim Ross is at the point where commentating is a lot of work. I could be wrong but I'd be willing to bet that he doesn't really watch anything consistently enough to commentate so his preparations are likely watching a few matches leading up to show day, or Wikipedia. Saw gifs of him clearly reading his notes on the WoS show.

So I didn't watch the show and don't know much about it but is there any reason for the World of Sport name being used beyond it being nostalgic?

I don't think the World Of Sport style would go over well in todays wrestling world tbh. It's cool seeing a Chris Hero or a Drew Gulak incorporate it into their style,but seeing a match where a wrist lock is worked for 5 minutes would put most fans to sleep in an era where you can access just about any wrestling you want for a small monthly fee.

• 2 months later...

The planned ITV World of Sport series is a go, according to PWInsider.com There will be an official announcement regarding the series coming over the next 24 hours. The site is also reporting that an official press conference is slated for this Monday in London, England.

Jeff Jarrett is heading to the UK this weekend as Impact Wrestling/Anthem Media will be involved with the series.

ITV ran a pilot episode on New Years Eve 2016, a two hour broadcast featuring commentary from Jim Ross and Alex Shane.

Female talent that appeared on the initial pilot included Viper & Alexis Rose.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/itv-world-of-sports-series-coming-to-tv/

Thats one more on the team. Over the last few weeks, the new regime of Impact Wrestling has made some major international moves. New partnerships with Japans Pro Wrestling Noah and Mexicos Crash Wrestling and AAA have emerged, making Impact Wrestling look a bit more important. You can now add a British name to the list.

According to a new press release, Impact Wrestling will be partnering with ITV on a relaunch of World of Sport, which will initially see a ten episode series. The arent many details known on the new series, though a launch event will take place on March 27 in Manchester, England where the roster will be announced. The first live event will take place on May 25 in Preston, England.

https://wrestlingrumors.net/uk-promotion-returning-collaboration-impact-wrestling/

I remember watching the one episode of this when it came back. Has it been an ongoing thing since then...or was there just the one episode to test it out, and now it's officially about to pickup?

That was just the pilot.

So, will this be the most watched weekly wrestling show in the world once it premiers?

I remember watching the one episode of this when it came back. Has it been an ongoing thing since then...or was there just the one episode to test it out, and now it's officially about to pickup?

That was just the pilot.

So, will this be the most watched weekly wrestling show in the world once it premiers?

Depends when they air it because if they try it when there are 100+ football matches going on at the same time again, it will get shit ratings again. Saturday at 5 would be a terrible time slot for any show

I think I read something about it airing over 10 weeks from May/June time which is perfect because the seasons over.

I think it only didn't get more viewers on NYE was because it started the same time as Liverpool against Man City kicked off. They would have been better airing it Christmas Day.

That was just the pilot.

Depends when they air it because if they try it when there are 100+ football matches going on at the same time again, it will get shit ratings again. Saturday at 5 would be a terrible time slot for any show

'Shit ratings' on free TV in a saturday afternoon are not so 'shit' when it comes to wrestling ratings in 2017...

That was just the pilot.

'Shit ratings' on free TV in a saturday afternoon are not so 'shit' when it comes to wrestling ratings in 2017...

I guess but it's still hundreds of thousands of views that are instantly impossible to get

I think I read something about it airing over 10 weeks from May/June time which is perfect because the seasons over.

I think it only didn't get more viewers on NYE was because it started the same time as Liverpool against Man City kicked off. They would have been better airing it Christmas Day.

That's much better than. At least there's no World Cup/Euros to go against

During media appearances yesterday in Great Britain, Jeff Jarrett stated that the World of Sport revival would debut on ITV in July.

Jarrett told The Mirror in the UK that the plan is for the World of Sport group to be a "full on promotion", not just a TV series.

ITV featured a Jarrett interview at this link: http://www.itv.com/news/granada/update/2017-03-28/world-of-sport-wrestling-is-back-and-heading-for-preston/

Tickets for the May tapings will go on sale on 4/7 at 9 AM at Ticketmaster.co.uk

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=108683

• 1 month later...

According to The Wrestling Observer Newsletter, the public story in regards to the World of Sport tapings being delayed is that the tapings were too close to the dates for the Impact tapings in India (May 30 & June 1) and they are having trouble getting new dates. The real issue is that ITV and Impact did not come to a business agreement over their partnership. ITV wants to do it, and the feeling was that they had the structure to handle a taping for one show, but not to run a promotion, which is why they tried to make a partnership with Impact.

Whether ITV would do it on their own or work with a U.K. promotion is still up in the air; the problem with the UK promotions is that all the talent in the UK, besides those signed with WWE & Anthem, are free agents and work everywhere; ITV would want a crew under contract so WWE couldnt pick them off.

The Mirror reported that the shows wont be taped until 2018, which would likely kill the project, because by the time they got around to taping, the feeling is that the top talent would have signed elsewhere. Many of the talents do not think its going to happen now since no new dates were announced and also because of the way it quietly was announced as not happening. ITV wanted to try wrestling, which used to be cheap programming, but now its expensive and you have to sign the talent to deals or youll lose them if they are good to one of many different companies, most notably WWE. There are major issues that arent settled, but ITV supposedly has a backup plan, but working with What Culture is not something that is being considered at this time.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/new-details-on-the-world-of-sport-tapings-being-delayed/

• 11 months later...

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2018/0421/639197/world-of-sport-tv-tapings-announced/

Let's hope they don't try to complete against the entire Football League+the SPL this time. That was really retarded. Give it a good time slot and it's easy views. Just don't compete against football again lmfao.

ITV issued the following press release for its revival of World of Sport, which is now officially confirmed for a ten-episode first season

WOS Wrestling (10 x 60) will be jam-packed with the UKs top names in the sport, competing in a fun-filled evening of family sports entertainment.

Recorded in front of a live audience at studios in Norwich, fans will get to see some of the finest pro wrestlers compete in various, intense bouts. At the end of each show, only one will get to take home the coveted WOS Wrestling Championship belt.

Plus, backstage interviews between rounds will deliver news on what the wrestling stars are thinking be it elation or frustration.

Tom McLennan, Creative Director, ITV Studios Entertainment said

There is a massive indie wrestling scene in the UK and a strong nostalgia for the wrestling shows of our youth. WOS Wrestling will combine the best of the past with incredible talent available today to make a fun, exciting and thrilling show that the whole family can enjoy.

WOS Wrestling is an ITV Studios Entertainment commission for ITV. It was commissioned by Jane Beacon and Clare Ely.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/official-announcement-itvs-world-sport-series/

• 1 month later...

I swear they're retarded lol, they're trying to go against England's first World Cup match

Lmao true, they are so retarded. What are they doing on the day of England's first World Cup, my well informed friend?

That's when the tapings are. Literally during the first game. They're also selling the tickets at £60 and are sturggling to sell them

Muur, are you sure you aren't confusing World of Sport with the WWE UK Championship Tournament? The first of the two WWE shows is on the same evening as England v Tunisia, whereas I'm sure the World of Sport tapings took place last month, and I don't think the tickets were as much as £60.

Muur, are you sure you aren't confusing World of Sport with the WWE UK Championship Tournament? The first of the two WWE shows is on the same evening as England v Tunisia, whereas I'm sure the World of Sport tapings took place last month, and I don't think the tickets were as much as £60.

Close enough, it's a UK event at the same time. If it's WWE who are doing this show at that time, then they're the retarded ones

Archived