Lucha Libre Discussion Thread

AlterNation

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the story about Dorian Roldan taking a general manager role of LU including talent relations role with is true I think it would be hard for ex-AAA guys to appear on LU. They're lucky they've still got half a season already taped.

AAA file trademark for Pentagon 0m

http://www.mediotiempo.com/lucha-libre/2017/01/23/aaa-registro-con-todo-derecho-su-nombre-penta-0m

Wagner is supposed to be signing the contract for the mask/mask match with Psycho Clown. Wagner stuck at the airport. Wagner backing out would be the icing on the cake for AAA.

How can AAA trademark something they've never used? AAA must have some shitty people running things. They did the same with Fenix. It's almost like they need to figure out a new name and trademark it before they leave. I wonder if he could just go by Pentagram or something?

Hasn't Wagner backed out of a ton of stuff with AAA over the years?

If the WWE decides to hold a Latin American tournament, I am curious to see if they deal with any Mexican promotions, as for the life of me, I don't even know who the third promotion is going to be. I'm thinking they go to Puerto Rico and deal with WWC.

If the WWE decides to hold a Latin American tournament, I am curious to see if they deal with any Mexican promotions, as for the life of me, I don't even know who the third promotion is going to be. I'm thinking they go to Puerto Rico and deal with WWC.

I assume the first two you're thinking of is AAA and CMLL? Honestly I'd be surprised to see both promotions working with WWE. I think a Latin American tournament may be a little more complicated than the UK torunament because AAA has/had ties with TNA and LU, and CMLL has ties with NJPW so those may complicate things, but who knows.

Personally, if I was calling the shots in WWE, I'd aim to work with CMLL and The Crash. Honestly I feel like at this point, 90% of AAA are older guys who wouldn't draw in American fans. CMLL has more stars at this point. Angel de Oro, Dragon Lee, Rush, La Mascara, Mistico, Volador Jr. Hell, they could even throw Caristico in there. Always felt like his downfall in WWE was that he wasn't working lucha matches with lucha opponents, that could be fixed here.

I'd also think that Pentagon, Daga, and Fenix are high on the list of people WWE would want. Haven't seen a ton of Daga's work but I feel like he's a guy who could excel in WWE's cruiserweight division.

I assume the first two you're thinking of is AAA and CMLL? Honestly I'd be surprised to see both promotions working with WWE. I think a Latin American tournament may be a little more complicated than the UK torunament because AAA has/had ties with TNA and LU, and CMLL has ties with NJPW so those may complicate things, but who knows.

Personally, if I was calling the shots in WWE, I'd aim to work with CMLL and The Crash. Honestly I feel like at this point, 90% of AAA are older guys who wouldn't draw in American fans. CMLL has more stars at this point. Angel de Oro, Dragon Lee, Rush, La Mascara, Mistico, Volador Jr. Hell, they could even throw Caristico in there. Always felt like his downfall in WWE was that he wasn't working lucha matches with lucha opponents, that could be fixed here.

I'd also think that Pentagon, Daga, and Fenix are high on the list of people WWE would want. Haven't seen a ton of Daga's work but I feel like he's a guy who could excel in WWE's cruiserweight division.

Luhca LIbre Strong style is probabaly the best way to describe him.

Yeah, CMLL and AAA. I think it'll be WWC out of Puerto Rico namely due to their relationship with Carlos Colon and of course, the Shining Stars.....although nobody cares about those two.

Though Lucha Underground is on hiatus until the summer, ring announcer Melissa Santos is keeping busy, appearing on the new season of The Celebrity Apprentice. TVInsider caught up with Santos to talk about her role on the show, discuss how she got into ring announcing, her role in Season 3 of LU and more.

Highlights from the interview are below:

On being cast as the Boardroom Secretary on the show: It wasnt something that came about easily, because the people at Celebrity Apprentice didnt believe I could maybe tone it down. They saw that I could be a bit over-the-top on Lucha Underground, and my dresses were a little bit sexier there. I sat in one of their pre-tapings, and it worked out. I could talk forever about the men and women who were some pretty brilliant people. I enjoyed working with them. Its so sad to watch them at times in the boardroom situation. I was so emotionally involved, but I couldnt say anything. I wanted to pat them on the back and feel for them.

On how she became a ring announcer: I cant really say I specifically looked at a particular ring announcer to study. I did do my research. I looked at Howard Finkel and Lilian Garcia, who is beloved in WWE and has such a long career there. I watched the way they worked. I looked at them and thought, This is the way its supposed to be as far as diction goes. However, I wanted to do it my own way.It wasnt a purposeful thing. I just allowed myself to do what felt right for me. I made sure there was an excitement I was going to create for the audience. I wanted to make it unique for each announcement.

On being contacted by the WWE: It was for something completely different. It was not something I wanted to do. I like what Im doing at Lucha Underground, and whatever they were offering me wasnt anything I would enjoy like I do at Lucha Underground. Also, Im an actress, so contracts are a little bit tight there. They can be a bit controlling. I want to do movies. I want to do other things and branch out. Lucha Underground allows me to do that. Im happy where Im at.

On her excitement for the rest of Season 3 of LU to air: I cant wait to continue the storyline that you guys see evolving, That is what is beautiful about Lucha Underground and what sets it apart from any product out there. Ring announcer jobs are really important, but people arent usually there to see the ring announcer. Now the show has given me this place and allowed me to build a foundation with the fans. They are probably the reason Im in a storyline right now, because they follow me. Its because of them that maybe the producers and writers thought, Why not give her a storyline? I dont think that would have happened in any other promotion.

http://www.diva-dirt.com/130750/lucha-undergrounds-melissa-santos-talks-role-new-celebrity-apprentice/

It must be noted that nothing about this is confirmed right now, so take your appropriate levels of sodium along with the story. That disclaimer out of the way, PWInsider reports that there has been a lot of talk as of late that the entirety of Lucha Underground could move from the El Rey Network to Netflix. The site notes that while the rumor was been talked about publicly recently on a Konnan podcast appearance, theres been a lot of talk about this possibility privately over the last week or two.

There has been no comment publicly over the shows status. While the original plans were to film a new season sometime this year, that hasnt been set into stone and El Rey has done little to offer promotional support for the show as of late. El Rey has been appearing to make changes to their overall direction, releasing the cast of From Dusk Till Dawn from their contracts back in October although no decision has been made as to whether to cancel that show as of now. From Dusk Till Dawn is carried on Netflix so its possible that El Rey could do something with their existing deal with the service that sees Lucha Underground move over there.

http://411mania.com/wrestling/lucha-underground-rumored-to-move-to-netflix/

Anyone have any info on Atlantis Jr? Can't find anything online about him.

Saw a bit translated from an interview that Atlantis Jr is currently in training, Atlantis and one other is training him, he's still young and Atlantis expects him to debut in two years.

Saw a bit translated from an interview that Atlantis Jr is currently in training, Atlantis and one other is training him, he's still young and Atlantis expects him to debut in two years.

This is good news. If Atlantis himself is training him and holding him to the same standards then he should turn out to be a great in-ring performer. Here's hoping he takes care of the Atlantis name and mask and doesn't bolt to AAA or WWE and gives himself some dumbass name change.

This is good news. If Atlantis himself is training him and holding him to the same standards then he should turn out to be a great in-ring performer. Here's hoping he takes care of the Atlantis name and mask and doesn't bolt to AAA or WWE and gives himself some dumbass name change.

Theoretically, wouldn't he own the Atlantis name? Personally I feel like WWE should see a huge value in someone like Atlantis Jr. (or any "Jr." who's good tbh) when they're constantly wanting someone who can be a big draw in Mexico. If they bring him in as Atlantis Jr and talk about how great his father* was, I feel like even the fans who weren't familiar with him would get hyped about him because of how he came from greatness. Normally, like you, I'm against guys going to WWE because of how hit and miss they can be with some stars but if they're really going to try and expand into the UK and Mexico in a more permanent way I think he could have a chance.

* Atlantis Jr. is the son of Atlantis right? I'm assuming he is, but it's not like this would be the first time that a "Jr." wasn't actually the son of the "Sr." *glares judgmentally at Rey Mysterio*

I doubt Atlantis Jr is actually the son of thee Atlantis. I also don't trust WWE's ability to utilize someone of that pedigree to their full capacity, at least not like they did with Rey and Eddie. Instead I see it being more like Sin Cara where they change the name and hype him up as being "big" in his home country but then getting lost in the circus that is WWE. I'd prefer he become a big star in CMLL for close to a decade before leaving if at all.

I think he might be legit his son.

I dunno if Atlantis has the name recognition outside of Mexico to be a big name. He's great though. And loyal too. Even when Octagon, Mascara Sagrada etc jumped to AAA he stayed put in CMLL. That's pretty cool when everyone seems to have jumped at least once.

But I guess it depends on if the Jr is going to be have an Atlantis style or if he's going to be a bit more in the modern style. I think WWE would be more interested in the indie style of lucha.

And if they were going for name recognition they'd have to go for Santo Jr I'd say but I haven't seem him go yet.

Anyway if Atlantis retires in two years when his Jr starts there's still a few more masks to win at least. Haha! Just can't think of who they've got in CMLL that has the prestige of Sombra or UG.

Never knew he had a son. Doesn't talk about his family. I've seen pics of Santo and Jr. backstage at a WWE event from last year so maybe they might be trying to pique wwe's interest there. On that last point I don't really want CMLL to take away any big masks anytime soon. Hope next CMLL anniversary show the main event is Caristico vs Mistico for the Mistico gimmick so they can give it back to the original one.

Top Lucha Underground talent Ricochet, aka Prince Puma, appeared at the La Triple W (White Wolf Wrestling) event in Madrid, Spain and defeated A-Kid in a singles match.

Following the event, Ricochet spoke with Alejandro Gimenez for SoloWrestling.com and revealed his contract with Lucha Underground has expired. Ricochet noted he is open to anything, and he knows where he wants go, and that he has some things to check off the checklist. Ricochet said hes keeping his options open and has yet to make a decision on his future.

On the subject of WWE, Ricochet did confirm WWE has contacted him in the past, but he said he was never directly contacted about the Cruiserweight Classic. Ricochet added he hopes WWE does another CWC because its good for the talents, and although WWE 205 Live has yet to really take off with fans, its still new and they have to feel out what really works and what really doesnt. He said he thinks if WWE really let the guys go like they did in the CWC, and do less of the cheesy backstage promos, the show might work better.

You can check out Ricochets entire appearance in the video below:

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/801087-ricochet-confirms-his-lucha-underground-contract-status-reveals-if-wwe-has-contacted-him-talks-how-to-improve-205-live-more

Archived