Lucha Libre Discussion Thread

AlterNation

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New Reina De Reinas Champion Crowned

After a rather turbulent past few months, the AAA Reina De Reinas Championship has a new owner in Lady Shani after she defeated Ayako Hamada for the vacant title at AAAs Heroes Inmortales event in Domo San Luis, San Luis Potosí, Mexico.

The title was vacated for a second time this year in September after Sexy Star was stripped of the title following the controversial ending of the multi-women match at AAAs TripleMania event which saw the champion Sexy Star dislocate IMPACT Wrestlings Rosemarys shoulder. She only held the title for 50 days, which is how long she lasted in the promotion since returning.

The title was vacated and stripped from Taya Valkyrie earlier this year. She was stripped of the title by the director of talent Vampiro who said was stripped of the title for using an illegal chokehold during her match with Hamada, despite the fact that the match was no disqualification. She held the title for 71 days, defeating Ayako Hamada for the title, gaining her second reign with the title.

This is Lady Shanis first reign with the Reina de Reinas title.

http://squaredcirclesirens.com/lady-shani-wins-aaa-reina-de-reinas-championship/

Ivelisse/Catrina was crazy and so was the aftermath lol.

Shame the outcome of this Mask vs. Hair match is fairly obvious if you follow both on social media lol.

Damn man, this crowd is crying lol.

Ivelisse/Catrina was alright. Didn't do much for me apart from the bottles breaking over Ivelisse's skull. Was kinda short too. Marty/Fenix was pretty good. Some really good storytelling and the aftermath was cool. Still, part one last week was certainly better. Killshot/Dante Fox was levels above all anything else we've seen thus far. The remaining two weeks should be sick though.

It's been over a year since the third season of Lucha Underground was taped. The season, which is still currently airing on the El Rey Network, was taped from March - May of 2016, leaving many wondering if a fourth season would be happening.

Dave Meltzer reported on the latest edition of Wrestling Observer Radio that there may be some good news regarding the future of the promotion as they have a potential source of funding. The drawback is that the budget for the show would have to be significantly cut as the source of funding is "earmarking far, far less money per episode and for the season" than what the company had been spending for the previous seasons. Meltzer said that while the future of the company was looking bleak, it's a little "better than bleak" now.

Meltzer noted that many of the stars that he's spoken to that are under contract with Lucha Underground want their release. Ricochet told Sports Illustrated in July that even though his contract with the company expired, his no-compete doesn't expire until 90 days after the conclusion of the third season.

"My contract finished last June," Ricochet told Sports Illustrated. "I'm on the no-compete for the rest of Lucha Underground's season three, then I have 90 days after that. I can be on any TV as long as it's not American TV. I can work indies, I can do iPPVs, most anything, really, just not on American TV. I'm not sure about a Season 4 with Lucha Underground. I'm busy until October, and I might take November off to heal up again. I really want to work on my diet and get myself in the best shape possible."

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2017/1005/632826/backstage-news-regarding-the-future-of-lucha-underground/

Less funding would really hurt the product of theirs I hate to see what cost of production is for all the editing they do

Would be really cool if Billy Corgan pitched in for the funding of a fourth season, he'd be a perfect candidate. Not only does he have millions, but is in the business, and has worked with AAA before and it would help his NWA brand if he could get some big name LU guys like Ricochet and Mil Muertes to appear on an eventual NWA tv show.

Archived