Lucha Libre Discussion Thread

AlterNation

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the LU talent will be able to work freely and not be tied up by their contracts. That will only make them more disgruntled.

It's already happened with both Prince Puma and Mantanza Cueto competing unmasked as Ricochet and Jeff Cobb.

You know this long break would be a great time for LU to go on the road and tour. They are missing a great opportunity when they go on these breaks and they lose all momentum by not touring. TV is how they get attention, but touring and merch sales is how they are going to make money.

And they can have Rey Mysterio and Johnny Mundo front and center on their promotions due to their past in WWE.

Oh and I do think that Rey will eventually end up back in the WWE for one last run, although not anytime soon.

Former NXT Superstar Sami Callihan recently joined Sean Waltman on X-Pac 12360 this week; you can read some highlights below, and watch the full episode in the [source like below] or download it on iTunes.

Sami Callihan comments on what went wrong with his NXT run:

Im never going to bash WWE because thats now how I am. But I always wanted to be in WWE, and one day I do believe Ill be back there. All I ever wanted or needed was an opportunity, and I never got that opportunity. Its one thing to be given the ball. Its another thing to be given the ball and have some guys to block for you. I never had those blockers. Youre only going to go so far when theres not a lot of direction, not a lot of, OK, this is whats needed, this is whats wanted. I feel like if they wouldve just let the chains off me and were like, yo go be Sami Callihan, Id be on Raw right now as one of the top guys.

Callihan comments on his success since leaving WWE:

Like it or not, people can hate me or love me. Im the most booked professional wrestler on this planet. Every week, Im an independent wrestler building my own brandfour, five, six shows in a week! Independent wrestlers dont do that. Theres only a handful, a group of elite independent talent that do that and Im one of them. Ill be damned if I go down without swinging. I built my own brand by myself and thats something really cool that nobody can ever take away from me.

What happened after Sami left NXT:

When I left WWE my phone blew up. The first day that I quit I was kind of like, you know what? Im kind of nervous. They tried to get me to do the thirty day, like hey well pay you for thirty days but you cant work anywhere. I took a real risk and I said, I dont want your f****** money. I want to go show up at shows this Saturday. Three days later I showed up at AAW in Chicago and the rest is history. I knew if I waited for thirty days all my buzz, all my mystique would be gone. I had to take a risk and go out there for non-guaranteed money and just hoped it worked out. And trust me when I say it worked out.

Callihan reveals the biggest lesson he learned from his time at NXT:

Follow your gut. The thing is, at the end of the day only you know you. Theres going to be all these different people, different coaches, different agents, HHH, people up above that are going to tell you, hey this is how you be Sami Callihan. Its like, well youre not Sami Callihan! You dont know whats going on in my head or how I process things. So you really cant tell me how to be myself. Thats one of the things I wish they would do more. You see the guys that they allow to do that are the guys that succeed. Like when Kevin Steen, Kevin Owens, came in there he got super lucky. They let him be Kevin and it works. Dont fix something thats not broken.

How he feels watching his friends on WWE TV:

I dont like to live in the past on things. I see guys that either A, Ive helped out or B, Ive shared the ring with or C, Ive traveled the world with. Now theyre World Champions on Raw, or theyre in the cruiserweight division. Im still in the indies busting my ass. But then I realize that my path is a little different. Im special. I am going to go down as being legendary, even if its for all the wrong reasons. Everyone has their own path and my path is a little bit different. But I think thats whats great about me. Thats why Im so endearing to people and thats why I connect so much. Im a guy that kind of said f*** you to the system. I was like, Im going to do this my own way and Im going to prove to you why I am an entity. I love WWE more than anything. I want to be on WrestleMania. But I obviously saw that the position that I was in, that wasnt going to happen. So I had to do what I had to do and take that roll of the dice and bet on myself for once, and thats what I did.

How Sami began working for Lucha Underground and what he likes about it:

A lot of my friends work for that company and theyre like, yo, you need to get Sami Callihan right now. You need to hit the up right now. The next day I got an email and a call and I started talking to them. I couldve gone a bunch of different places but I went with Lucha because I like what Luchas doing. Its different, its cool, its fun. Theyre not insulting peoples intelligence, being like, yo this is real. Its put together as a TV show where you can have time travelers, you can have mystical ghosts, you can have anything you want. Thats what I love about pro wrestlinganything is possible, and it truly does make you believe. This dude really is a time traveler, this guy really is a dragon. On top of that I like their business model. Their business model is like, sure were under contract to them, but I can still work on the indies, I can still work around the world, I can still continue to build my brand and do what I want I do and help build other companies.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/793457-sami-callihan-on-what-led-him-to-leave-wwe-watching-friends-on-current-wwe-shows-why-he-chose-lucha-underground

You know this long break would be a great time for LU to go on the road and tour. They are missing a great opportunity when they go on these breaks and they lose all momentum by not touring. TV is how they get attention, but touring and merch sales is how they are going to make money.

It was already said that they are aiming to go on tours and have more than only the tv show.

So I think expanding their product is in the works and we might see more of them soon which I really hope for cause it's an amazing company with an awesome roster and great Creatives in the production. :)

WTH why is there a break! Lame as *Censored*.

Because they aren't going to be able to tape next season until late 2017 so they didn't want the break between this season and the next to be that long apart.

Anyone else gonna catch that new Univision show on Blue Demon on Sunday night? It's gonna be in Spanish...but yeah lol.

I saw some previews for it and wondered why him lol"? I mean he's a huge legend but not sure there is enough material there for a whole series.

Oh man that Sangre Chicana match looks good, will have to watch it later. I'm sure a lot of blood was lost there.

Archived