It seems like the Universe mode is broken again

CM_EDGE

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can edit rivalry matches in 2K16. Why would they remove that option (if what is being said is true)? Of course people will be up in arms if that is the case.

Have you heard of a situation where rudimentary features in a game were removed and a big fuss wasn't raised as a result? You know, like match creator that's been missing for what, three games now?

But some people just prefer to drink the Kool-Aid... don't question anything, just accept everything. And I'm not reading people bitching for the sake of bitching (which I'll call people out on as well). A lot of these criticisms are just and constructive. But then we have the oversensitive types who take any criticism as "bashing."

It's called forming a thought. Some of you should try it some time. It can be enlightening.

You can edit rivalry matches in 2K16. Why would they remove that option (if what is being said is true)? Of course people will be up in arms if that is the case.

Have you heard of a situation where rudimentary features in a game were removed and a big fuss wasn't raised as a result? You know, like match creator that's been missing for what, three games now?

If by missing, you mean never was on next gen in the first place.

This sounds just like when it was "reported" that women could not take part in backstage brawls and everyone treated it like it was fact.

:rolleyes: This place is turning in to the damned 2K forums.

Yeah? So what else do you want us to talk on a public WWE 2K17 message, discussion board?

If 80% of the game is the same as last year and we already can see more than 2 hands full of problems and bugs just because of a few hours gameplay material, while it isn't even out yet, what the hell do you expect? Literally, the first real gameplay ever of this game that the developer let us see and even that is full of problems, what do thought will happen?

That we all Ignore it, be nice happy 2K puppets and only write about how cool the 2-3 new thing are this year?

Yeah, that will help to make it better next year, sure.....

My preferred mode of gameplay is Universe mode. I don't play online or exhibition matches. I would like to have some type of continuous rivalry/story mode that plays out. I think many who prefer to play Universe mode would love to see improvements and a more "polished" feature that works right.

Last year there were many issues, from annoying cutscene bugs to hard crashes. They have made some improvements that I am excited for, but I'm also seeing a lot that hasn't changed or changes made for the worse.

With that said, we don't even know what the upcoming patch addresses as the game hasn't even been released. The lack of assigning managers in Universe mode to this day is simply an oversight of the developers.

They are trying to replicate what we see on TV, yet they can't do it accurately. It's always baby steps and a slow approach because there is no competition. So what options do we have in terms of getting someone from 2K to pay attention to what is being said and how else would we draw a response out of them?

And we already know what that response will be, which is exactly what THQ got a ton of heat for in the past.

"Maybe next year."

Take note that we are all asking for a better product and for improvements to be made. Burying our heads in the sand and pretending all is great isn't going to lead to any improvement. There is plenty of room for this game to improve and we've seen leaps made from 2K15 (which I skipped) to 2K17. But removing things like body morphing and limiting options is not something many will find to be endearing, especially those who love the customization aspect of these games.

Quite funny when you considee that universe mode is supposed to be OUR own universe.

Yet the gane still wants to control the players universe.

You want to have more then 3 feuds? Nope.

You want more then 4 titles in one brand? Nope.

The community needs to start and stand up, only criticism will help make the series better.

Ignoring all the bad things, just accepting everything the way it is...will not make the games better.

Yeah? So what else do you want us to talk on a public WWE 2K17 message, discussion board?

If 80% of the game is the same as last year and we already can see more than 2 hands full of problems and bugs just because of a few hours gameplay material, while it isn't even out yet, what the hell do you expect? Literally, the first real gameplay ever of this game that the developer let us see and even that is full of problems, what do thought will happen?

That we all Ignore it, be nice happy 2K puppets and only write about how cool the 2-3 new thing are this year?

An unreleased game with a known patch and with a less than one year dev time.. and you expect it to be the shining beacon of glitchlessness?

I'm all for calling out the issues that are obvious, JUST as i'm all for praising improvements. My problem is the people who clearly bitch for the sake of bitching. You could give them gold and they'd complain it isn't diamonds, you could give them diamonds and they'll say they liked gold better.

I'll happily tear the game a new one if the issues are really as bad as people make it out to be, but the thing is that A: these reports never seem substantiated, and B: the game itself is not out yet, nor is patches, and i'm taking every little "issue" with a grain of salt until I can jump in and see it for myself, after the "women can't go backstage" horseshit.

Also, drop the "2k puppets" bullcrap. It makes you look as desperate as the jackasses who went around here 2 years ago claiming everyone who didn't scream 2Ks heads off were "white knights". I've said my piece already on a lot of issues I am seeing and a lot of issues I hope were fixed, but the way some people here talk, you'd think 2K were packing shit in to a box and shipping it off, and to be frank, that's simply unfair.

Sure, a lot of these issues probably could be fixed by allowing for more than a 1 year dev time, but unfortunately I don't see that happening, expectations do need to be tapered a bit, they have to strike a balance between fixes and new features, especially since either side of the camp will throw a temper tantrum either way. This is infuriating because complaints without added constructive criticism DO NOT help the game in any way because it tells 2K not to listen, but to not listen. Like caveman said on the 2K forums, if there's an issue, be consise, calm about reporting it, and that'll make it far more likely that the complaints will be acknowledged and addressed. Instead however, some people seem to be content with "ugh, 2K didn't do what I wanted, they're so laaaaaaame!" (Lame seems to be rather popular this year, not entirely sure why).

Note that i'm not accusing anyone in this thread directly of this, but you could consider it something like the pot overflowing a bit. We know 2K watches this forum so I think we're more likely to see problems fixed if we DON'T go about it the way the people on the 2K forums do. I'm an artist, I draw and create artwork in my spare time, and I can tell you I listen to feed back much more when its calm and constructive instead of "oh my god why does this always suck you suck why isn't that this color uuggghhhh" (only slightly exaggerated there, I have seen some really stupid comments from people on my artwork in the past :lol: ).

There, rant over. I feel much better now. I'mma go get a pepsi.

An unreleased game with a known patch and with a less than one year dev time.. and you expect it to be the shining beacon of glitchlessness?

I'm all for calling out the issues that are obvious, JUST as i'm all for praising improvements. My problem is the people who clearly bitch for the sake of bitching. You could give them gold and they'd complain it isn't diamonds, you could give them diamonds and they'll say they liked gold better.

I'll happily tear the game a new one if the issues are really as bad as people make it out to be, but the thing is that A: these reports never seem substantiated, and B: the game itself is not out yet, nor is patches, and i'm taking every little "issue" with a grain of salt until I can jump in and see it for myself, after the "women can't go backstage" horseshit.

Also, drop the "2k puppets" bullcrap. It makes you look as desperate as the jackasses who went around here 2 years ago claiming everyone who didn't scream 2Ks heads off were "white knights". I've said my piece already on a lot of issues I am seeing and a lot of issues I hope were fixed, but the way some people here talk, you'd think 2K were packing shit in to a box and shipping it off, and to be frank, that's simply unfair.

Sure, a lot of these issues probably could be fixed by allowing for more than a 1 year dev time, but unfortunately I don't see that happening, expectations do need to be tapered a bit, they have to strike a balance between fixes and new features, especially since either side of the camp will throw a temper tantrum either way. This is infuriating because complaints without added constructive criticism DO NOT help the game in any way because it tells 2K not to listen, but to not listen. Like caveman said on the 2K forums, if there's an issue, be consise, calm about reporting it, and that'll make it far more likely that the complaints will be acknowledged and addressed. Instead however, some people seem to be content with "ugh, 2K didn't do what I wanted, they're so laaaaaaame!" (Lame seems to be rather popular this year, not entirely sure why).

Note that i'm not accusing anyone in this thread directly of this, but you could consider it something like the pot overflowing a bit. We know 2K watches this forum so I think we're more likely to see problems fixed if we DON'T go about it the way the people on the 2K forums do. I'm an artist, I draw and create artwork in my spare time, and I can tell you I listen to feed back much more when its calm and constructive instead of "oh my god why does this always suck you suck why isn't that this color uuggghhhh" (only slightly exaggerated there, I have seen some really stupid comments from people on my artwork in the past :lol: ).

Thank you so freakin' much for saying this. You worded it better than I ever could. It's OK to have issues with the game, but throwing your toys out the pram without even considering there may be reasons for removals of popular features like body morphing is just childish.

Best post.

I was going to point this out, but GMP did it. The WWE games will always to an extent have problems because the WWE wants their games released yearly, that means they are given X amount of time to work on everything, as the WWE games are not like FIFA or whatnot and do not have that kind of fan support or draw. Also there is no competition as well.

Thanks guys, it's nice to know i'm not alone in my view of how complaints, criticism, and of course, praise should be handled. And QS is right as well, a bi or tri-yearly dev time would also carry with it, it's own problems. That wouldn't be too much of a problem if 2K used separate contracts for all wrestlers including legends, but it would definitely be a big hurdle. The nature of wrestling itself, in a way, plays against the video game series.

I don't see the issue here, it's not out yet, could be a pre game glitch? And may not be in the final game. Comments that much hasn't been added to the game, Erm the Promo making itself seems quite in depth so far, also creating videos not just for your CAW but for Show Intro's as well, coupled with the amount of pre set videos, match up screens etc they have this year only shows how much more they are leaning towards the customization that a lot of us truelly love about WWE Games, I for one am really looking forward to creating my PWA Shows, with their own rosters (over 40), PPV's etc with a lot more creative freedom from last year and make it really feel authentic, even with my limited skill on Photoshop/GIMP etc I was able last year to make my PWA Universe look like it had nothing to do with WWE and im eagerly excited for this one, honestly, some of us need to take a step back, and join others for a Pepsi....

Superbly written Sir, If I ever run into you, I owe you a Pepsi.

expectations do need to be tapered a bit, they have to strike a balance between fixes and new features,

Jeeze, wall of text. :D I can see all of your points and agree with you at the most parts, but i want to talk about this little quoted part here.

Do you really think we "over expect" things for the new WWE games? I really don't think so, i personally don't.

I don't really want that much for the universe mode, i want my freedom, i want that i can finally interfere whenever i want again, and it seems like they did this (but we have to wait if we really can control mid match interferences) and want to create my own storys in my head, not with real storys in the game, no because just with the gameplay and how i can create them with different Interferences, turns, Special Referee Matches (still not there), Manager stuff and so on.

They did good things with this game, in the right direction and i even mentioned in another thread that this new promo engine, could be the next BIG feature for the future. Just imagine if they add the function in the next games to create own storys on the pc and upload them into the game and the community portal. You write your weekly segments, decide 1-2 things like attacks and boom, major function. They didn't even need to do much, we maybe need a few more dialog scenes like backstage interviews, GM complaining, or attacking backstage and that's it, the rest of the magic does the text and the text alone (and the awesome multiple choices).

If i would be able to download a created story, choose it then in a story menu, see for which superstars the story is and choose them and then enjoy what the creator wrote.

This would let me play the whole next year, just because I'm exited to play week after week and read what the creator wrote for crazy cool storys.

This would be awesome, but i don't expecting that.

What I and many other people expect from a new WWE game, as Universe fan, is a mostly bug free game, that's it, a game with fixed problems that where in the last game and didn't got fixed for whatever reason. Like the deleted feuds, which is still not completely fixed, things like the MtB Match, that i want to create or edit a money in the bank match and it still remains a money in the bank match, but no, they didn't fixed that, and that is disappointing. Am i expecting to much here?

Or that i finally can do tag vs. tag ladder matches again, or a title for title match, why is that not working in the universe? Why did they have deleted the double title entrances and the option for that? Can you explain that to me?

Is it too much if i want that second attires are useful at all in the game? Because in 2K16, they were not, not for champions, every single title stuck in your belly if you use a second attire, is it too much if want this fixed?

Is it to much if i want a real, a real simple calendar with real weeks and real dates, just like we always had in every General Manager mode and not this fake fantasy calendar where every month has 4 weekends and every month starts with a Monday. What is this crap?

Am i really expecting to much here? 95% of things i want aren't really new things, no everything was in previous games before.

Is it too much if i want to click on old shows in the calendar and look what matches i did 2 weeks ago? That always worked too in every GM mode, for the whole year you played. Now you can't even scroll back to the last freaking month.

These are things that i really don't understand and i think, that i not expect to much from the developers here. I don't want the holy grail from them. I just want a freaking working game with little tiny improvements and fixed bugs. That's the least that i should expect from them.

But like i said, i see your points, i just wanted to tell you my view about this little topic and what i expect every year.

Sorry for my awful english. :D

It would be easy if we could ask Tim questions but we cant. All one can hope for is that he is taking note and that 2k is on their forums for stuff to improve.

One good suggestion might be for Ernez to make a "locked" thread, that good suggestions / feedback is added, and maybe 2K could look at that?

The trouble is that passions run so high, arguments break out and great points are lost in the shuffle. No developer has time to wade through hundreds of posts to filter out excellent points. I see this on the FIFA forums, 90% of content is either repetition or idiotic argument. I'm not saying it's that bad on here, but we've seen posts be misconstrued, and lead to arguments.

As a collective? Yes, I do believe we do ask for more than can be expected. Again, as a collective. You have to remember that no matter how minor the thing you want, some of it IS going to be ignored simply because there's no way in hell they had time for everything. It's clear as day they intend to add a couple new features every game to keep the games moving forward, which in my mind is a good thing, but because those new features take work and because 2K is more hands on than your average publisher, this means that information constantly needs to flow back and forth between 2K and Yukes (which, if you recall, also adds the language barrier). This alone is already going to cause some time latency, Then they need to code the new features and bug test them, while simultaneously fixing old bugs and expanding old features. This is a LOT to do for a less-than-1-year dev time, especially when you also have to dance around contractual restrictions that are in the WWEs contract with 2K, deal with finding the time around schedules to get mocap done, plan out DLC and patches (I know for a fact at least some patches are planned in advance, which is a good thing because it ensures there's a plan in place). They also need to, unfortunately, dedicate a small part of the team to pumping out the half-assed last gen version (please, god, let this be the last year of that). Even with the higher amount of money 2K has, this simply means resources are absolutely going to be stretched thin and some times, that means things will fall through the cracks. Now while we definitely need to keep, politely, making noise about what we want to see modified and fixed, we still need to keep everything in mind. We need to expect that some things just won't be able to reach what we want right away. One also needs to remember that VC is still learning from yukes for the eventual transfer of development over to them, so that's going to eat some time as well.

It's important to note that despite all that, the series has gone from the stagnancy that it held under THQs reign, and has begun a big leap in quality with each iteration once 2K got a hold of it. One issue that has been taken care of, for instance, is that while legacy bugs were mostly ignored and became a very serious problem in the THQ line, for the most part, 2K has shown that they can and will nick most bugs in the bud so that they don't become a legacy issue.

We can and should criticise fairly when an issue pops up, but the problem I see is that most of the time, the people complaining aren't providing constructive criticism at all. In fact, they're simply demanding what they want while insulting 2K, yukes, and everyone in between. This is not going to fix the problem, it will, in fact, make it worse. You, by acting in such a way, are telling anyone who represents 2K who reads it that you aren't worth listening to, and that is the fans own worst enemy. I won't deny that as gamers and wrestling fans, the urge to just scream our heads off is very difficult to ignore. It's in our very being. However we HAVE to taper that trait if we want what we say to be heard, because when we criticize without constructive feedback, and when we criticize without praising the good, 2K, or any developer and publisher really, simply cannot disertain what they've done right from what they've done wrong. Nothing but negative reinforcement only reinforces negative traits, but a combination of negative AND positive reinforcement, done in a way that is calm, precise, and understandable, allows the creator to take a step back and see how everything is being taken as a whole.

This is important, because 2K, as said, only has about 9 to 11 months worth of dev time, likely less. That time, I guarantee, is planned out in advanced. Such and such time spent on developing such and such feature, such and such time spent on fixing such and such bugs. But they need a look at the whole picture in order to correctly decide on the order of things they need to do when it comes to fixing. A roaring rampage of "2K is lame!!11" only tells them that the person speaking has no clue what they're on about and are safe to ignore, and by extension the issue they have, however valid it may be, is also ignored.

Sometimes, a quiet whisper is louder and than an angry roar. As much as people complain about 2K and what they focus on, I think people really do tend to forget just what the last few years of THQ was like, because what we have now and what we have coming in the future is a godsend compared to the crap we had to put up with a couple years ago.

Archived