Kevin Owens on Triple H and Universal Championship

Lunchbox

From Jerichos latest podcast with him:

“It couldn’t have been better, but not just for storyline purposes, the ‘where do we go from here?’, ‘why did Triple H do it?’, ‘what’s going to happen with Seth [Rollins] and Triple H?’, this and that. It obviously opens a lot of doors for interesting stuff TV-wise. But for me personally, when you win the world title, people assume, ‘oh, you probably want it to be this incredible battle where you claw, blood, sweat, and tears, and you just had this apparent moment.’ Besides the fact that I’m a heel, Triple H got me here. He made the call to hire me. He made the call to take a chance on me because he hired somebody who wasn’t a cookie cutter WWE Superstar. And there would have been a chance where somebody would have been like, ‘you hired him? Are you kidding?’

“Even when I was hired, I was told by [WWE Senior Director or Talent Development] Canyon Ceman who called me to announce ‘okay, we’re going to sign you, but I was specifically told to tell you don’t get your hopes up for RAW or SmackDown because you’re not the typical WWE Superstar. You’re going to have a chance in NXT just like everyone else.’ So I said, ‘oh, I’m up for the challenge’ and he said, ‘I figured that’s what you were going to say’.

“That’s how my career started here and then Triple H always obviously believed in me. That’s why he signed me and he saw something in me. And Terry Taylor even straight up told me once at the Performance Center, he was like, ‘Triple H sees something in you. I don’t see it, but it’s my job to bring it out.’ And then, later on, like, now, I have a great relationship with Terry. But part of why I love it is because he’s so honest. Other people really dislike that about Terry. I love it.

“So anyway, last Monday night, Triple H literally handing me the title, but that was a moment, like, that was incredible to me and I got to say ‘thank you’ in the ring. Like, he gave me the title and I said, ‘thank you’, but it wasn’t ‘thank you for giving me the title’. It was ‘thank you for everything’. Yeah, because without him, like, I had Steve Austin saying good things about me [and] I even had The Rock saying good things about me before I got signed by WWE. But without Triple H taking that chance, who knows where I’d be now?”

I'm not going to lie I was really skeptical when Owens was hired. He was way overweight and Hero had gotten fired for not looking the way Triple H wanted him to. I guess Owens is just so damn good you can't ignore him. Hes easily the best thing in the WWE main roster right now.

doubt it. From what I gathered his attitude about it was the main problem. Kevin Owens was always like this and had this physique, the other KO, Kassius Ohno...let himself go while h was signed and refused to get back in shape, don't know the reason why.

Ironiclly the later KO, Kevin Owens caame in WWE while not fitting they "typical mould", but for his work ethic, abilitty and obviously general mentality got rewarded big time.

Good read, it's good Triple H has managed to do so much and sucks that everyone else was like "lol no" towards him.

I do agree that it was probably a better way for him to win it since he was one of his golden boys, I guess.

Doesn't Hero have a medical problem that makes it harder to control his weight though? I recall something like that.

A couple of months ago he said he had Lower Back Spasms(not too serious) which makes him take days off to relax plus he was doing blood work and figuring things out with his thyroid.

Dude is still top 5 in-ring workers today.

I prefer fat Chris Hero to his old physique. I think he looks way more intimidating now. When you see two scrawny short guys doing a bunch of gymnastics, it's impressive but sometimes looks a bit gentle. When you see Chris Hero's 6 ft 4 fat ass hit someone with a springboard moonsault, they look like they got hit by a train. Besides, those thick thighs just offer more padding for crazy avalanche piledrivers.

I prefer fat Chris Hero to his old physique. I think he looks way more intimidating now. When you see two scrawny short guys doing a bunch of gymnastics, it's impressive but sometimes looks a bit gentle. When you see Chris Hero's 6 ft 4 fat ass hit someone with a springboard moonsault, they look like they got hit by a train. Besides, those thick thighs just offer more padding for crazy avalanche piledrivers.

All of this. He looks like a beast now then when he use to. He weights more but still has all the same mobility that he use to. Honestly i want him back since they have zero idea what to do with Cesaro and a KOW reunion would be great.

Archived