REPORT: SmackDown Getting NEW Women's and Tag Team Championship Belts

St★rstruck

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't get is the recent split of teams like the lucha dragons. You'd think more teams are needed for the roster split.Also does anyone know if the women's division is big enough for two rosters?

The Lucha Dragons split seemingly because they needed more cruiserweights, but then they put Kalisto on Smackdown. Also yeah the divisions big enough, both shows have 5+ women atleast.
5+ is not big lol. Especially when you look at the lack of experience on SmackDown.

Why isn't it? You only need two people to fight over the title at a time. The champion then the challenger, then you cycle through the other 4 throughout the year to keep it fresh whilst the others feud with each other to keep them doing something. It's not a lot, but it's not like they have 3 women and are struggling. Plus there is always a conveyor of girls coming up from NXT.

There is no value in a title that can only be won by 2 people.

Well then luckily for you, there isn't one.

Yup. SmackDown has Eva, Alexa, Becky, Nattie, Carmella & Naomi right now. That's six people people. If they go with my hunch of The Bellas, Emma, Tamina & Bayley all being SmackDown bound when they return/get called up then we have ourselves plenty of competition for the title.

2 was just a number...6 aren't many either.

Just look at NJPW's Junior Heavyweight divisions and how stale they've become.

And as multiple people have said now, 6 is enough to by some time before more join them.

It'll only be 6 for a few months. If you added the people I mentioned in my above post then that number is almost doubled, a perfect number for a division that gets 4 segments on a show at most.

Because then the girls will have literally nothing to do. Would you rather let those 6 women sit on the sidelines until they can be bothered to add to their division or would you rather them get some stories and championship feuds underway to give it some momentum? As I said only 2 people can fight for the title at a time anyway so the other 4 can enter programs with each other vying for their chance at the title. Then as time passes more women are added to their roster. And no it's not a big if, of course WWE are gonna add more women to smackdown you would be an idiot to think otherwise.

I'm not really sure why you're arguing tbh because it really seems like you either can't grasp that there actually is enough women on smackdown to warrant a title or you're just against the idea of them having anything to do going forward?

... I wanted a joined division. Can't YOU grasp your head around that?

I don't want the WWE Women's division to end up like the Knockouts division, where everyone gets a run with the title. Especially not way before they're etablished or build up enough.

And it's not like they are only championship feuds.

Just look at NXT. They had a women's division long before introducing a title to it, giving each woman enough time to etablish themselves.

More people are going to be added even if it's not the ones we expect/want. So Imean we should really just wait and see what happens. What's done is done as far as the way the division is going to be done so we might as well all deal with that or stop watching.

I don't want the WWE Women's division to end up like the Knockouts division, where everyone gets a run with the title. Especially not way before they're etablished or build up enough.

A joined division is bad. Look at the state of the division just 12 months ago. Nikki was hogging the title and barely defending it while Paige, Sasha, Charlotte and Becky were stuck in random tag matches. At least with two belts there's a certainty that two of the more talented women will be fighting over one while a Nikki is ruining the other.

Funny that you should bring up the JR championships because I feel the exact opposite. I always look forward to the junior heavyweight title bouts while I dread the Makabe/Honma heavyweight tag matches.

Anyway, on topic again: I think the divisions will be fine. Even if they might be up to a rocky start, they'll eventually manage to vitalise the new belts. For the next many months six competitors should be enough for a division and when the time comes, they'll hopefully bring in new challengers. I know that the weakness of my point is that I'm making assumptions here though, but one can hope.

And a joined division is simply not an option anymore since the reality is that we're getting a hard brand split.

And it's not like they are only championship feuds.

Just look at NXT. They had a women's division long before introducing a title to it, giving each woman enough time to etablish themselves.

I can grasp that, but that's not happening and Im being a realist.

Don't think about the new titles too much. It's just new championships and they will basically be prestigious because WWE tells us that they are.

I'm just going to accept that for now.

You and me both.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eva became the inaugural champ. Imagine the heat.

Also, I don't get why some of you, at this point, still think only one women's title is good. Clearly WWE want the two brands to be separate, and they're building up the women's division as a whole - so why would they only have one brand-exclusive title. You have one half of them battling towards a championship, and the other half battling towards...nothing.

Also, I don't get why some of you, at this point, still think only one women's title is good. Clearly WWE want the two brands to be separate, and they're building up the women's division as a whole - so why would they only have one brand-exclusive title. You have one half of them battling towards a championship, and the other half battling towards...nothing.

They'll feud against each other? Not everything needs to be centered around the title. That's how the WWE Championship has worked since being unified. 2-3 top stars feud over it at a time while others are involved in other programs, and so on. Not every single woman needs to be focused on the title all the time. Book a couple of them for the title and give a bunch of others their own compelling feuds, and repeat with different faces.

They'll feud against each other? Not everything needs to be centered around the title. That's how the WWE Championship has worked since being unified. 2-3 top stars feud over it at a time while others are involved in other programs, and so on. Not every single woman needs to be focused on the title all the time. Book a couple of them for the title and give a bunch of others their own compelling feuds, and repeat with different faces.

They can still do that even with two belts.

But that wouldn't work in the long run, if the Smackdown women's wrestlers were just recycling feuds with each other for years and years, and the only chance of any career progression (which in kayfabe, is surely winning the championship) is being drafted to RAW. And once again, why would Shane and Bryan just accept this and let it happen?

But that wouldn't work in the long run, if the Smackdown women's wrestlers were just recycling feuds with each other for years and years, and the only chance of any career progression (which in kayfabe, is surely winning the championship) is being drafted to RAW. And once again, why would Shane and Bryan just accept this and let it happen?

Which is why the title should be cross-branded. It shouldn't be a brand exclusive thing. Having one title makes it that much more valuable and they can always find ways to figure out a #1 contender from time to time (regardless of brand) and book the remaining divas in meaningful feuds against each other, with all of them aiming to impress to enhance their chances of soon being in the running to compete for the title.

Archived