REPORT: SmackDown Getting NEW Women's and Tag Team Championship Belts

St★rstruck

Well this sucks... I'd rather have brands fighting over the belts than have more of them...degrades the value IMO. World, Tag Team and Womens should be cross branded, much more prestigious that way.

and also has you question why there's a brand split when nearly all the titles are cross branded anyway

There is no full split anyway, since they still have five PPVs together anyway.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lmao, so now the problem with having 'too many championships' is the look of them? Gotchu, fam.

Don't believe I said that. I said that the only way I could accept having this many belts is if they were done in this specific manner. Apparently you don't know what a compromise is.

So your idea of a compromise is 'just makes the belts look pretty and I'm good', which is probably the least important part of a championship. Nice.

Pretty sure my idea of a compromise is "make the belts look like they belong, and I will tolerate them".

You take your meds today?

'Make the belts look like they belong' after saying 'make the belts kinf of like UFC belts'. Right.

You ready to stop being a stuck up prick today?

Big fan of the current set-up. The Smackdown womens division is basically non-existant. Imagine being Becky Lynch and you're the champ. That means you're the best out of a roster with 2 rookies, a valet who hasn't wrestled since what 2010/11?, Natalya who hasn't won a feud since 2008, Naomi who hasn't won a feud ever and Eva Marie who is probably less talented than that broomstick Triple H was trying to have a match with during the walkout. Splitting the women up was stupid. And now you're stuck with this stupid situation.

Yet everyone raved about NXT's Women's division. I'd honestly prefer if the women were all in one brand but I strangely have faith that they can build a good women's division on both brands. Just give them a chance instead of bashing everything before you have reasons to.
And the 4 people responsible for that are split with 1 on NXT, 1 on SD and 2 on RAW. And since we're talking about Smackdown, they just have one. And SD isn't NXT.

I'm not writing off Alexa and Carmella though, they're just new and never really had a leading role in NXT, but I expect them to come through on the long term. Other than them and Becky, there's nothing there. Unless Maryse starts wrestling again. Or they call up Bayley real quick. But we're talking low quality and low quantity, I have valid reasons to be pessimistic about this shit dude.

I can see your point and it's easy to predict the worst but I think SD's female roster isn't that much worse than Raw's. You have, imo, the best wrestler on the main roster there in Becky who is someone that's really over, an overlooked worker in Naomi, Natalya who's pretty good in the ring and a veteran and then you have Alexa and Carmella who can become stars with time. And you still got Eva who can generate tons of heat just by being there. Not for the right reasons, but w/e.

This was inevitable. They want a real brandsplit, so this really is the only way to go for it to actually function as that.

I couldn't give less of a shit about whether new titles are made or whether they're cross-branded or not. But this quote right here is the truth.

Although if they went cross-branded with the titles and RAW challengers for example were getting more shots than SD challengers, people would be bitching about how it makes SD look lesser. If they took turns each month, people would call the system boring.

This is the simple answer. It just works.

This was inevitable. They want a real brandsplit, so this really is the only way to go for it to actually function as that.

I couldn't less of a shit about whether new titles are made or whether they're cross-branded or not. But this quote right here is the truth.

Although if they went cross-branded with the titles and RAW challengers for example were getting more shots than SD challengers, people would be bitching about how it makes SD look lesser. If they took turns each month, people would call the system boring.

Bingo.

Lmao, so now the problem with having 'too many championships' is the look of them? Gotchu, fam.

Don't believe I said that. I said that the only way I could accept having this many belts is if they were done in this specific manner. Apparently you don't know what a compromise is.

So your idea of a compromise is 'just makes the belts look pretty and I'm good', which is probably the least important part of a championship. Nice.

Pretty sure my idea of a compromise is "make the belts look like they belong, and I will tolerate them".

You take your meds today?

'Make the belts look like they belong' after saying 'make the belts kinf of like UFC belts'. Right.

You ready to stop being a stuck up prick today?

Big fan of the current set-up. The Smackdown womens division is basically non-existant. Imagine being Becky Lynch and you're the champ. That means you're the best out of a roster with 2 rookies, a valet who hasn't wrestled since what 2010/11?, Natalya who hasn't won a feud since 2008, Naomi who hasn't won a feud ever and Eva Marie who is probably less talented than that broomstick Triple H was trying to have a match with during the walkout. Splitting the women up was stupid. And now you're stuck with this stupid situation.

Yet everyone raved about NXT's Women's division. I'd honestly prefer if the women were all in one brand but I strangely have faith that they can build a good women's division on both brands. Just give them a chance instead of bashing everything before you have reasons to.
And the 4 people responsible for that are split with 1 on NXT, 1 on SD and 2 on RAW. And since we're talking about Smackdown, they just have one. And SD isn't NXT.

I'm not writing off Alexa and Carmella though, they're just new and never really had a leading role in NXT, but I expect them to come through on the long term. Other than them and Becky, there's nothing there. Unless Maryse starts wrestling again. Or they call up Bayley real quick. But we're talking low quality and low quantity, I have valid reasons to be pessimistic about this shit dude.

I can see your point and it's easy to predict the worst but I think SD's female roster isn't that much worse than Raw's. You have, imo, the best wrestler on the main roster there in Becky who is someone that's really over, an overlooked worker in Naomi, Natalya who's pretty good in the ring and a veteran and then you have Alexa and Carmella who can become stars with time. And you still got Eva who can generate tons of heat just by being there. Not for the right reasons, but w/e.

Lol just today?

I couldn't less of a shit about whether new titles are made or whether they're cross-branded or not. But this quote right here is the truth.

Yep.

I couldn't give less of a shit about whether new titles are made or whether they're cross-branded or not. But this quote right here is the truth.

Boo, you nailed it.

Ironic that Mick Foley criticized the original split for having too many titles. Now he's back and this complete split brand is taking route.

He doesn't control anything in real life.

I don't buy that Foley would come into the role with no control at all. Not with how passionate he is about improving the product in his personal and unsanctioned social media posts. A lot of what we've seen on the first two episodes of Raw are things that Foley has directly alluded to in his personal opinions of the WWE product for years now. I would bet my left kidney that he has about as much power as he wants with the new direction of Raw...(at least for the time being, until they ship him away).

And I read, that they are not going to introduce them at Summer Slam, not wanting too many vacant title matches.. WNS on Facebook..

Supposedly, Smackdown's 1st PPV, will be in September.. Backlash, I think.

September 11th. They announced that on SD last week.

Ironic that Mick Foley criticized the original split for having too many titles. Now he's back and this complete split brand is taking route.

He doesn't control anything in real life.

I don't buy that Foley would come into the role with no control at all. Not with how passionate he is about improving the product in his personal and unsanctioned social media posts. A lot of what we've seen on the first two episodes of Raw are things that Foley has directly alluded to in his personal opinions of the WWE product for years now. I would bet my left kidney that he has about as much power as he wants with the new direction of Raw...(at least for the time being, until they ship him away).

I'd bet both kidneys he has no say when it comes to adding titles lol. I think they may listen to him a bit more and take some of his advice though.

I feel like we don't HAVE to make extra title belts. Who says that RAW Superstars can't show up on Smackdown or vice versa?

Raw spoiler:

Look at Randy Orton last night! The guy made the biggest impact of the night because no one expected him to show up, let alone lay out Brock Lesnar (or at least I wasn't expecting any of that).

The point is that the amount of excitement of having SD invade Raw essentially is good business and gives each show a rub so why convolute your titles? Yeah it may sell more merch, but having too many titles doesn't make the ones you have special.

I feel like we don't HAVE to make extra title belts. Who says that RAW Superstars can't show up on Smackdown or vice versa?

Raw spoiler:

Look at Randy Orton last night! The guy made the biggest impact of the night because no one expected him to show up, let alone lay out Brock Lesnar (or at least I wasn't expecting any of that).

The point is that the amount of excitement of having SD invade Raw essentially is good business and gives each show a rub so why convolute your titles? Yeah it may sell more merch, but having too many titles doesn't make the ones you have special.

Because that makes the brand split null and void and considering its not two weeks in, that would be a bad business decision.

Orton showing up on RAW is a special occasion. This match has been building since before the draft.

And I read, that they are not going to introduce them at Summer Slam, not wanting too many vacant title matches.. WNS on Facebook..

Supposedly, Smackdown's 1st PPV, will be in September.. Backlash, I think.

September 11th. They announced that on SD last week.

Oh, I missed part of SD!, last week.

Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Well this sucks... I'd rather have brands fighting over the belts than have more of them...degrades the value IMO. World, Tag Team and Womens should be cross branded, much more prestigious that way.

and also has you question why there's a brand split when nearly all the titles are cross branded anyway

Not in the slightest. Brand pride/representation should very much be a part of the split, and as such, GM's and wrestlers should always be lobbying for a chance to bring a certain title to their show. Keep the IC and US as brand distinct belts, but the other one? There's so much more prestige for a title when everyone on two different brands want to get their hands on it. Being THE tag team champions of WWE is a much more important position than being one of the two tag teams that are champion. Same for the Women's belt and, frankly, the World titles as well.

Not to mention, the split itself simply allows more airtime for more wrestlers, ie more challengers for said titles. People here are acting like brand split means that RAW and SD should function as different companies or something, I see it as they are two teams in the same sport, both gunning for the same big prizes.

I'd like the reports to be true about Melina or Victoria returning. Would be good to give the new women's championship title some prestige with a former women's champion.

However, I agree - I would have preferred champions to be featured on both Raw and SmackDown, with brands fighting over the championships. They've done two titles before, and it hasn't always worked.

Becky Lynch getting the title isn't even going to mean much anymore lmao

Exactly. Any victories over the 'secondary' titles aren't going to feel nearly as rewarding.

Didn't stop Benoit's (at the time, inb4thisturnsimtoaBenoittopic), Orton's and Mysterio's moments being special when they won the "secondary" title, so I don't see how it would be different with another tag or women's title.

Becky Lynch getting the title isn't even going to mean much anymore lmao

Exactly. Any victories over the 'secondary' titles aren't going to feel nearly as rewarding.

Didn't stop Benoit's (at the time, inb4thisturnsimtoaBenoittopic), Orton's and Mysterio's moments being special when they won the "secondary" title, so I don't see how it would be different with another tag or women's title.

...because there were only 6 people in Benoit's division.

Archived