NXT Discussion Thread

AlterNation

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOTHING special? Really... Nothing? A dude that can captivate a live audience as well as everyone at home on his debut is not special? Of course it is, natural charisma is very *censored*ing special. Not everyone has it and that's why he stands out among the NXT roster. That's why others stand out on the NXT as well.

NOTHING special? Really... Nothing? A dude that can captivate a live audience as well as everyone at home on his debut is not special? Of course it is, natural charisma is very *censored*ing special. Not everyone has it and that's why he stands out among the NXT roster. That's why others stand out on the NXT as well.

I direct your attention to Bo Dallas...Fandango...Adam Rose...Tyler Breeze, etc.

There are plenty of things that work in NXT that just don't last. Do you really think that NWJ is anything other than a flavor of the month? Does he entertain the NXT audience? Yes. But the NXT audience is considerably smaller than main roster crowds, usually has a lot of the same recurring show-goers, and those people are there almost exclusively to have fun. NXT crowds get behind a lot of shit that would die anywhere else. We've already seen it. Adam Rose was HUGE in NXT...he was a complete turd on the main roster. As far as I can tell, NWJ is being set up the same way. Party gimmicks never last.

And yeah...he's getting a mean streak now. But he's still not going to be a huge name. Dude is a fun midcarder. That's all he is. That's probably all he ever will be. I've got nothing against him...but he's a dime-a-dozen comedy routine. He'll go the same route as the rest of them. Not saying I condone that...but that's probably what will happen. Bo Dallas was an NXT champion...so even winning that doesn't guarantee NWJ a damn thing.

I direct your attention to Bo Dallas...Fandango...Adam Rose...Tyler Breeze, etc.

There are plenty of things that work in NXT that just don't last. Do you really think that NWJ is anything other than a flavor of the month? Does he entertain the NXT audience? Yes. But the NXT audience is considerably smaller than main roster crowds, usually has a lot of the same recurring show-goers, and those people are there almost exclusively to have fun. NXT crowds get behind a lot of shit that would die anywhere else. We've already seen it. Adam Rose was HUGE in NXT...he was a complete turd on the main roster. As far as I can tell, NWJ is being set up the same way. Party gimmicks never last.

And yeah...he's getting a mean streak now. But he's still not going to be a huge name. Dude is a fun midcarder. That's all he is. That's probably all he ever will be. I've got nothing against him...but he's a dime-a-dozen comedy routine. He'll go the same route as the rest of them. Not saying I condone that...but that's probably what will happen. Bo Dallas was an NXT champion...so even winning that doesn't guarantee NWJ a damn thing.

Bo Dallas is a terrible example. After losing the title, they drastically changed his gimmick from the amazing "Heel who thinks he's face" to a Bo-tivational speaker. That's not on him...like, at all.

Fandango was over af as well...until they started jobbing him out, and even then he'd still get nice pops whenever he was around.

Tyler Breeze was barely given a chance, but has been getting pretty good reactions in Breezango as of late.

Only valid point of your examples was Adam Rose, and even then....he was in NXT with that gimmick for all of 3 weeks before they started to hype a main roster debut, so they didn't really test him for the long haul.

All of those examples were perfectly valid. It doesn't matter if their gimmicks were drastically changed between NXT and main roster. Point is, there have been a bunch of guys who were hugely over on NXT...and completely floundered as soon as they were removed from that atmosphere. That can't all be blamed on whatever gimmick they have. It's more than that. It's because NXT crowds are a lot more forgiving of flaws. Smaller crowds like to have fun. Larger crowds are more apt to say "what the hell is this?" Again, I don't think NWJ is completely worthless...all I said is that he's nothing special. As his career goes along, we'll find out exactly how far he can go. I don't expect that to be very far at all.

I'm so glad they didn't draft No Way Jose like they had originally planned and are instead experimenting with his character to see what he can do in different situations. If they had only done the same with Adam Rose, maybe his career would've been a little different. If Adam Rose had been 5 years younger than he was at the time, maybe there wouldn't have been such a rush to put him on TV.

Archived