Official SummerSlam Discussion Thread

Jmerc

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are these chants you guys are on about?

When the Universal belt was unveiled, there were numerous negative chants directed at it...including "that belt's stupid" and "that...belt...sucks" (to the tune of New Day)...all while Seth and Finn were trying to get people invested in the actual match that was happening.

It's a doubled-edged sword, honestly...because they definitely should have been more respectful of Finn and Seth...but at the same time, WWE really should have had the common sense to unveil the belt after the match, not before it. I know that unveiling it before the match is supposed to show the competitors what they're fighting for...but they had to expect the kind of reaction they got. I don't know how they could be naive enough to not see that coming.

God damn, Lesnar with those illegal elbows in UFC. That's a DQ in UFC isn't it?

No...not at all. Elbows are a huge part of ground game in MMA. Only illegal moves in UFC are...low blows, eyepokes, strikes to the back of the head, headbutts, and you can't kick or knee someone in the head when they are not standing. Slashing elbows to the head are absolutely legal.

Also, there really are no technical DQs in UFC...you will usually just lose points if you break a rule. Granted, if you do some absolutely heinous shit, they will stop the fight and the match will be thrown out, and you'll probably be fined heavily...but the opponent doesn't get a W as a result of that. The fight is just over. You've wasted everyone's time, and everyone hates you. I've never personally even seen a fight thrown out...but I assume that's what happens if you fight too dirty.

Unless those shots to Orton were to the back of the head? I don't think the were. They were to the crown, weren't they? That's where he's cut...right on the top. That's legal.

Just finished watching Summerslam, quick rundown of opinions.

12 Man Tag

The ending sequence with everyone doing their signature moves was cool. I actually thought Ascension looked VERY good in this match, and the pop for Breezango warmed my heart. Why did Vaudevillains not get their full entrance I wonder? Nice seeing that Alpha is gonna be feuding with the Uso's, and the latter are getting the 'spotlight hogs' look.

Dudleys vs Zayn/Neville

It was ok. A typical Zayn/Neville tag match from NXT honestly. It was really just to get them all on the show, so...whatever.

Cesaro vs Sheamus

Good match...just not exactly thrilled seeing them go at it 3 times over the last month and knowing there's 6 more matches to go... That spot with Cesaro jumping from post to the ropes was awesome.

JeriKO vs Enzo/Cass

This was a good one. Really enjoyed myself throughout. Jericho and Owens are money "I love you Chris" "I love you too man!" So good. Really wanted to see a Pop Up Powerbomb to Cass, but oh well.

Sasha vs Charlotte

MotN contender. This was great start to finish, these ladies worked their asses off! Heartbroken to see Sasha lose the belt already though...don't know why they're so content in pushing Charlotte this hard...maybe Bayley is coming up to win the gold?

Apollo vs Miz

Actually enjoyed this match more than I should have. It was a fun title match and I dug Miz/Maryse's entrance. I thought Crews would take it, but I'm fine with Miz keeping the gold for now.

AJ Styles vs John Cena

This is probably my actual MotN. Wow. WOW. I was worried after MitB that these two didn't have good chemistry, but man oh man was this match good! And AJ beating Cena clean....icing on the cake! MotY contender, honestly.

New Day vs Club

I mean, the match as good....up until the Stewart/Big E part. That was just dumb, and I felt cheated of a good conclusion.

Ambrose vs Ziggler

This match was great. The story going into it was awesome, and Dean seemed to be playing heel for the night. I really did like it, and was actually a bit bummed that Dolph couldn't win it. I hope this isn't the end of this feud, this is the best Ziggler has been since 2014.

6 Woman's Tag Match

Kinda figured Nikki would replace Eva. Match was ok. Liked the triple corner kick spot a lot. Nothing particularly great otherwise. Kinda sucks Becky keeps losing every PPV match she has. Very satisfying seeing Alexa at this level though.

Balor vs Rollins

Maybe I overhyped myself, maybe it was the crowd booing the new belt(which is hideous) nonstop, but I didn't get into thins match. I really thought I would love it, but I just didn't care for it. I marked for the Gods Last Gift moment, but otherwise? I wasn't feeling it.

Rusev vs Roman

This entire segment was dumb. I'm not really a fan of either guy, so if they're gonna waste my time with them, the least you can do is give us a title match AS ADVERTISED.

Lesnar vs Orton

For what it was, it wasn't bad. It's just that I expected so much more. This was like...the kind of match I'd of expected them to book Brock in back in 2012, when he just returned in order to legitimize him to the casuals. I really thought they'd work the "I only need one shot at an RKO" story in the match a lot more. This was a midcard match at best and was a shitty main event.

Overall...I guess the first half of the show was pretty good, and the latter half just dropped in quality. Takeover was definitely the superior show this weekend.

I *censored*ing hate Ambrose man. I can't stop thinking about that bullshit ass match.

I don't even blame Ambrose. He did well imo. Just the booking and false sense of it being a big fight (or close one).
Probably the case, I'm still sick of him and the fact he was allowed to bury one of my favorites doesn't help.

Erick Rowan put on a better fight on SD against Ambrose than Ziggler did at SS. Crazy lol

I *censored*ing hate Ambrose man. I can't stop thinking about that bullshit ass match.

I don't even blame Ambrose. He did well imo. Just the booking and false sense of it being a big fight (or close one).
Probably the case, I'm still sick of him and the fact he was allowed to bury one of my favorites doesn't help.
Erick Rowan put on a better fight on SD against Ambrose than Ziggler did at SS. Crazy lol

I don't understand it. I don't understand why they would just flush all the amazing buildup for Ziggler that easily. It angers me more and more every time I think about it.

I still find the belt roast hilarious. Feel bad Seth got mad tho.

He's too thin-skinned. That was his problem.

Honestly, what did they expect? Taking the design of the WWE title, splashing the color red all over it straight out of WWE 2K16 (the PS3 version), presenting it as the Universal title over the actual WWE title that obviously has more prestige and lineage at SummerSlam IN BROOKLYN.......and expect the fans to sit on their hands or actually cheer that lazy excuse of a belt design?

This is why I love the New York metropolitan area when it comes to wrestling events. Cause New Yorkers don't care who you are or what you are. They don't like you? They'll let ya know, and they let WWE know that "hey this belt sucks and it's lazy."

I cant blame Randy one bit for sandbagging those Germans. Dude literally just came back from surgery who the *Censored* would wanna get thrown on their neck by a careless dude and run the risk of reinjury? And i swear if Brock legit got pissed over that and shooted on Orton to put that hole in his head, he is the biggest asshole i have ever seen and i would have literally zero respect for him from now on. I honestly hope thats the last of him for the rest of the year.

This post, lmao. Do you believe that Orton didn't want to be in this match or something? Do you think he didn't know he'd get suplexed on his head? Do you think two veterans are kids? Can't blame Randy for sandbagging? I don't even know where to start...

When Lesnar said he'd bring legimacy back to the WWE I didn't think he meant making the IWC forget kayfabe existed but I love it <3

If you prove to me otherwise then go ahead. I have literally no reason to not believe it couldve been a shoot or at least a nasty botch that couldve been avoided

That's not how it works. I shouldn't have to prove that something in a scripted show was scripted, that makes no sense.

Why were people expecting Goldberg again? Legit question btw was it cause of Brocks comment about him?

Because people can't discern between video game advertisements and real life...apparently.

Well, also cause Goldberg was in town and Sting also appeared in the video game advert first and then on WWE TV.

Best one was 'DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!'.

We've received a lot of email this evening about a story first reported by Dave Meltzer of The Wrestling Observer that there was a confrontation between Chris Jericho and Brock Lesnar following Summerslam last night. I was at Raw, so I didn't have time to source the story myself until the taping was over, but in asking around, I am told that the story is indeed correct.

To set the stage for why the issue happened, believe it or not, the finish to Summerslam's main event went exactly as it was booked. While the blood was not part of the planned finish, we are told that the TKO was the planned finish and that the show was only timed to go a few minutes longer than it actually did.

Jericho, not knowing the finish as the company had tried to smartly keep it under wraps (WWE did such a good job of it that I received the most questions from people within the company about whether that was a planned finish since the night Vince McMahon's limo blew up on Raw years ago), went to the gorilla position to check on the condition of Randy Orton following the TKO finish against Brock and was "annoyed" by the idea that perhaps Orton had been legitimately hurt by Lesnar.

There have been a few versions of what happened next floating around since Meltzer's initial report but the version that has been relayed to me that most feel is correct is that Lesnar (perhaps not realizing that Jericho was upset) made a comment that exacerbated the situation with Jericho then confronting Brock and even "backing him up."

It was described to me by someone I spoke to that at that point, each of them them waited for the other to throw a first punch with Lesnar allegedly remarking that Jericho should either punch him or kiss him.

WWE management, including Triple H and Vince McMahon, eventually got involved and separated the pair. There was a lot of talk in the back today about what a badass Jericho was for stepping to Lesnar, although given that Jericho had once confronted and took down Goldberg during a backstage confrontation in WWE, that shouldn't really be news to anyone.

There did not seem to be any heat on Jericho at Raw I was told and it was seen as "boys being boys" with tempers flaring. Basically, Jericho was upset that Orton may have been hurt and didn't appreciate the way Lesnar responded to it. Lesnar flew home Monday AM, so even if there was heat on him, he was gone anyway.

So, for those who emailed me during Raw, the story was indeed correct.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=104252

Jericho is the *censored*ing man. The fact that my favorite wrestler stood up to the piece of shit i cant stand is amazing. Seems like some dream shit lol

Indeed.

Might be grounds for a new Universe rivalry in 2K16 before it gathers dust on the shelf once 2K17 arrives... lol

When the Universal belt was unveiled, there were numerous negative chants directed at it...including "that belt's stupid" and "that...belt...sucks" (to the tune of New Day)...all while Seth and Finn were trying to get people invested in the actual match that was happening.

It's a doubled-edged sword, honestly...because they definitely should have been more respectful of Finn and Seth...but at the same time, WWE really should have had the common sense to unveil the belt after the match, not before it. I know that unveiling it before the match is supposed to show the competitors what they're fighting for...but they had to expect the kind of reaction they got. I don't know how they could be naive enough to not see that coming.

I feel like there were loads of chants I missed. I could barely hear the crowd singing Glorious at Takeover. I think my volume must have been too low (cos it was so late at night).

Also tbf there were no chants like that during the Women's Championship at Mania. Probably cos of the crowd size, but I still don't remember any boos when the belt was revealed.

I feel like there were loads of chants I missed. I could barely hear the crowd singing Glorious at Takeover. I think my volume must have been too low (cos it was so late at night).

Also tbf there were no chants like that during the Women's Championship at Mania. Probably cos of the crowd size, but I still don't remember any boos when the belt was revealed.

Mainly because that one signified that the days of three minute piss break diva matches are over and that the women would be getting the same opportunities as the guys. This one signified that they can't be bothered to think of an original design.

I don't think this Lesnar/Jericho stuff is a work, but I hope WWE works it in kayfabe. I think they have the potential with Lesnar to really blur the lines between reality and fiction, which could be a really intriguing storyline - maybe even enough to lure in casual fans.

Archived