Nioh

CROSS-Out

12802896_568671816634479_805826999743968

https://youtu.be/sDPWyfvV9K8

So Nioh is getting a second demo (a beta demo this time) in August. Since its likely to be out this year, I decided to talk about it in a new thread rather than chatting about it in the DS3 thread.

Now I played some of the demo, and while there's certain aspects I hope were improved or changed, I *censored*ing loved it, and i'm really looking forward to seeing whats changed from the alpha.

For those of you that don't know, Nioh is very similar to Dark Souls, it takes very clear inspiration from it, but with its own unique stamina system. That said, from the alpha I played i'd actually say its harder than Dark Souls.

Posted earlier:

Damn... that game looks like it could be really good. And just like clockwork, whenever E3 happens, my wallet cringes with fear.

I think you'll really like it so long as you enjoy an overwhelming challenge. In fact the alpha was hard enough that I would not be surprised if they put in difficulty settings.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, the beta demo is out today and i've been giving it a try. Really like the changes to gameplay made since the alpha, especially the dual swords.

William in general feels like he has proper weight to him now.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if anyone is still following this since it's been a while since someone posted. I picked the game up ok release day. Wasn't 100% sure on it though because I wasn't all to interested in Dark Souls, but this is doing well in keeping my interest. Currently fighting the second Boss and I've been maining the axe.

I never played the alphas or betas so I can't tell if the difficulty changed. Personally I feel like this is less punishing than Dark Souls but since I didn't play much of the series, I could be wrong.

This game looks really cool, and definitely makes me want a PS4. I would be apprehensive about the difficulty of it...because I definitely am not a fan of games that are hard just for the sake of being hard. "Rage difficulty" games kind of piss me off...and I hope that isn't the full case with this game...because it looks like something that deserves to be appreciated, not hated. I remember playing about five minutes of a Dark Souls game and thinking it was complete garbage...and not just because it was a challenge...but because it felt janky and broken. So...maybe I would like this game even without liking Dark Souls...because I think I had other reasons to dislike Dark Souls, tbh.

This game looks really cool, and definitely makes me want a PS4. I would be apprehensive about the difficulty of it...because I definitely am not a fan of games that are hard just for the sake of being hard. "Rage difficulty" games kind of piss me off...and I hope that isn't the full case with this game...because it looks like something that deserves to be appreciated, not hated. I remember playing about five minutes of a Dark Souls game and thinking it was complete garbage...and not just because it was a challenge...but because it felt janky and broken. So...maybe I would like this game even without liking Dark Souls...because I think I had other reasons to dislike Dark Souls, tbh.

The difficulty is right up there with the Souls series.

My only complaint about the game so far is that some bosses have really bad hitboxes. Giant Centipede for instance. At certain angles, you can be right up in it and attacking and it'll act as if it isn't getting hit at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm honestly still having fun with this game. The Abyss makes grinding for divines so much easier and my current build turns my Odachi into a boss killing machine.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived