BREAKING: Muhammad Ali passes away

Jeb ★

Muhammad Ali has died, NBC News has reported.
The legendary boxer, 74, had been on life support at a hospital outside Phoenix, Arizona, after he was found "barely breathing" at his home on Thursday.
Ali was surrounded by his family who rushed to be at his bedside on Friday after doctors warned his condition was "rapidly deteriorating".
A source, who said he had spoken to the three-time heavyweight champion's wife, Lonnie, said earlier today: "It's extraordinarily grave. It's a matter of hours.
"It could be more than a couple of hours, but it's not going to be much more. Funeral arrangements are already being made.'
Ali was taken to hospital on Thursday with an "unshakeable cough", a separate source said, with his reported respiratory problems likely to be complicated by his Parkinson's disease.

I was from Louisville, KY. I apparently met him when I was very little, but I don't remember it unfortunately. My mother said he was a very nice man, so that makes his death that much more sad.

RIP to a legend.

“Why should they ask me to put on a uniform and go 10,000 miles from home and drop bombs and bullets on Brown people in Vietnam while so-called Negro people in Louisville are treated like dogs and denied simple human rights? No I’m not going 10,000 miles from home to help murder and burn another poor nation simply to continue the domination of white slave masters of the darker people the world over. This is the day when such evils must come to an end. I have been warned that to take such a stand would cost me millions of dollars. But I have said it once and I will say it again. The real enemy of my people is here. I will not disgrace my religion, my people or myself by becoming a tool to enslave those who are fighting for their own justice, freedom and equality. If I thought the war was going to bring freedom and equality to 22 million of my people they wouldn’t have to draft me, I’d join tomorrow. I have nothing to lose by standing up for my beliefs. So I’ll go to jail, so what? We’ve been in jail for 400 years.” ~Muhammad Ali

Just had to share this beautiful quote. Much like a lot of the greats in their own fields, he was way more than just a boxer. R.I.P to a badass who stood for justice and a true American hero.

"WWE is saddened to learn that two-time world heavyweight boxing champion Muhammad Ali passed away at age 74 on June 3, 2016.

The Louisville native won six Kentucky Golden Glove Championships and the gold medal for the United States as a light heavyweight in Romes 1960 Summer Olympics before beginning his professional career.

Ali also made history for his historic boxer vs. wrestler match against WWE Hall of Famer Antonio Inoki in Tokyo on June 26, 1976. The fight is regarded as a precursor to modern mixed martial arts.

In 1985, Ali made his mark in WWE history when he was one of the special guest referees for the main event of the first WrestleMania at Madison Square Garden. The bout featured WWE Champion Hulk Hogan and pop culture icon Mr. T against Mr. Wonderful Paul Orndorff and Rowdy Roddy Piper. During the contest, Ali climbed up onto the ring apron and took a swing at Piper.

WWE extends its condolences to Alis family, friends and fans."

R.I.P.

This will upset my father because he's a huge fan of boxing and Muhammad Ali. He saw a lot of his fights when they happened, like rumble in the jungle and thrilla in manilla and told me and my brothers about it all the time. All my life He's told stories and showed me his fights. He even has this big autographed picture. This stinks.

And it's barely half way through the year, I'd hate to know who's next for the rest of the year.

He really didn't look healthy in the last couple of years of his life. Especially when posing in boxing poses with celebrities, really looked like a shell in more ways than one.

Guess I'll have some reading up to do, definitely a career and a life worth celebrating and possibly the most un-apologetic sports figure of all time.

Archived