The TV Discussion Thread

Creepia

Figured we have one for Movies, Netflix, Books & Music so why not TV in general? What we're currently watching, what we would recommend to others and what we should be checking out. No spoilers for anything obviously so keep that in mind or I'll set Ernez on you!

Been watching through Falling Skies recently. Up to season 4 and I still can't decide on whether I like it not. Some of the characters are good, I really like the premise, but something about it just halts me from really diving into it. It's taken me like two years to get to season 4. The CGI has gotten better though.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently watching:

Bates Motel

Bitten

Game of Thrones

Gotham

Grimm

Silicon Valley

The Big Bang Theory

Earlier this week I finished watching:

Castle - Season 8 (final)

The Flash - Season 2

I'm waiting for the new seasons of:

Black Mirror

Jessica Jones

Nashville

Orange Is the New Black

Pretty Little Liars

Sense8

The Walking Dead

Transparent

And:

Luke Cage

Outcast

Edited by Oresama

Yeah I'm super pumped for more Marvel Netflix stuff as well as OITNB. Netflix are generally really good with their original shows.

Anyone seen Orphan Black? Wondering if I should watch between GoT episodes.

I've recently gone back to watch The X Files from the start since it's literally been over a decade since I last saw it.

Surprised how well it holds up actually. It has a very 90s feeling about it, but in a good way, and I'm definitely enjoying going back through it all from the start since I've honestly forgotten about 90% of it anyway. Except for that amazing title music of course.

I'm currently watching:

Bates Motel

Bitten

Game of Thrones

Gotham

Grimm

Silicon Valley

The Big Bang Theory

The Flash - Season 2

Black Mirror

Jessica Jones

Nashville

Orange Is the New Black

Pretty Little Liars

Sense8

The Walking Dead

Transparent

And:

Luke Cage

Outcast

Currently been watching that! Although it took me a minute, I am really enjoying it. T.J. Miller is hilarious in the TechCrunch event episodes. :lol:

Should I watch Bates Motel, btw? I only watched like the first episode, I think, but then lost track like an idiot and didn't come back to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently watching:

Bates Motel

Bitten

Game of Thrones

Gotham

Grimm

Silicon Valley

The Big Bang Theory

The Flash - Season 2

Black Mirror

Jessica Jones

Nashville

Orange Is the New Black

Pretty Little Liars

Sense8

The Walking Dead

Transparent

And:

Luke Cage

Outcast

Currently been watching that! Although it took me a minute, I am really enjoying it. T.J. Miller is hilarious in the TechCrunch event episodes. :lol:

Should I watch Bates Motel, btw? I only watched like the first episode, I think, but then lost track like an idiot and didn't come back to it.

It's a great show, one of the few comedies that I actually like.

I'm still kind of mixed on Bates Motel. I like it but...I don't know...it's kind of like Gotham for me in some ways with the overloading of villains. We know where this character is going to end up and they just pile sooo much on him in such a short amount of time, it doesn't have the makings of a long running series if it continues in that way but it is worth a watch.

You don't deserve to have an opinions if you haven't watched Sopranos and The Wire.

What kinda scrub has never seen The Wire

I don't want no scrub

A scrub is a guy that can't get no love from me

Hanging out the passenger side

Of his best friend's ride

Trying to holler at me

just announced that Showtime cancelled Penny Dreadful as the third season finale happened on Sunday. i just started watching PD. i bought S1 on blu-ray last week and im not even finished getting through it. F******************K!!!!! i give up on tv. everytime i get invested in a series, it gets cancelled.

Penny Dreadful was cool. Nice idea, nice looking, but I don't think it was all there. Shame it was cancelled though.

I've just started watching Workaholics. After years of watching no other comedies other than It's Always Sunny & Community I figured it was time for something else. It's pretty funny an easy to watch.

Vinyl should have been on huge. On paper, it feels like a surefire hit and another jewel in HBO’s crown of all-time great shows. A drama series set in the music industry circa 1973, produced by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger, run by the great Terence Winter, and starring fine actors like Bobby Cannavale, Ray Romano, and Olivia Wilde sounds like a list of things that should have made this whole thing soar. Then people actually started watching the show and whoo-boy, no one had many nice things to say. What felt like an instant winner quickly turned into an expensive misfire.

Despite low ratings and disappointing reviews from critics and TV fans alike, HBO renewed Vinyl for a second season back in February. Today, they’ve backtracked: Vinyl season 2 has been scrapped and the show has been cancelled.

Variety reported the news, which includes this boilerplate statement from HBO:

After careful consideration, we have decided not to proceed with a second season of Vinyl. Obviously, this was not an easy decision. We have enormous respect for the creative team and cast for their hard work and passion on this project.

If that sound familiar, it’s the same basic template HBO utilized when they cancelled The Brink after one season last year…another cancellation that came about only after they had “renewed” the series. And even that wasn’t the first time HBO has decided to kill a show’s second season at the last minute, with both Luck and Tell Me You Love Me also belonging to this unlucky club of HBO shows axed following their premiere seasons after getting an official green light.

While the cancellation of those shows inspired some degree of outcry from television fans (well, maybe not The Brink), it’s hard to imagine too many people mourning the loss of Vinyl, which slipped in the ratings throughout its first season and continued to earn lousy reviews until the finale. It’s not even clear who to blame in this situation – this may have been a case of too many cooks in the kitchen.

HBO did try to revamp the entire show, replacing Winter (a veteran of the network with shows like The Sopranos and Boardwalk Empire under his belt) with screenwriter Scott Z. Burns for second season. Variety reports that Burns was still outlining the new season and had not turned in any scripts when the axe officially fell. The trade suggests that HBO simply crunched the numbers and decided that the money spent on a second season of Vinyl could be better utilized elsewhere. After all, it’s hard to convince anyone to come back to a show after they’ve dropped it, even if it has gotten better.

This cancellation also comes one month after Casey Bloys stepped into the role of programming president at HBO, replacing Michael Lombardo (who steered the ship for a decade). These kinds of big decisions often coincide with regime changes like this. Bloys, not wanting to work overtime to save his predecessor’s misfire, may have just wanted to put this one out of its misery.

In any case, we all have Westworld to look forward to.

http://www.slashfilm.com/vinyl-cancelled/

I freaking loved this show!! Can't believe it was not so well received to the point of cancellation. Devastated.

Does anyone else watch and like iZombie? It's a really good show, i can't wait for season 3.

I recently started to watch it. I'm only four episodes in but I'm enjoying it. I'm actually a fan of the White Trash Zombie book series by Diana Rowland and this show is kind of reminding me of those which is cool.

Does anyone else watch and like iZombie? It's a really good show, i can't wait for season 3.

I recently started to watch it. I'm only four episodes in but I'm enjoying it. I'm actually a fan of the White Trash Zombie book series by Diana Rowland and this show is kind of reminding me of those which is cool.

Cool, both seasons are great, so i look forward to season three. It's my favorite current show.

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatched Freaks and Geeks over the last few days after finding it on Amazon Prime. It's so good, probably one of the greatest single seasons of TV I've ever seen. Such a shame that it got cancelled.

On that note, what would you guys say are the best single seasons of TV? The ones that come to mind for me are:

Freaks and Geeks

True Detective (Season 1)

The Sopranos (Season 6B)

All different, but every episode of these seasons are brilliant.

Rewatched Freaks and Geeks over the last few days after finding it on Amazon Prime. It's so good, probably one of the greatest single seasons of TV I've ever seen. Such a shame that it got cancelled.

On that note, what would you guys say are the best single seasons of TV? The ones that come to mind for me are:

Freaks and Geeks

The Sopranos (Season 6B)

I just started watching Freaks and Geeks a few days ago! Only on the second episode, but I was surprised to find so many people I know off of it.

What do you mean, single seasoned? As in only one season out of a TV show is good, or pick a season that really stood outttt? Or cancelled shows with only a season to it?

Edited by Royal Nakamura

Freaks and Geeks

The Sopranos (Season 6B)

I just started watching Freaks and Geeks a few days ago! Only on the second episode, but I was surprised to find so many people I know off of it.

What do you mean, single seasoned? As in only one season out of a TV show is good, or pick a season that really stood outttt? Or cancelled shows with only a season to it?

This one, just any season(s) of a TV show that really stand out as being great. The best of the best, so to speak.

True Detective season 1, yeah. That shit was incredible. Although I will say I was kinda annoyed the end.

With the killer being that weird incest redneck and the fight they had in that weird tunnel system. Idk, it wasn't bad per say and I guess they needed a big climax, but I just didn't enjoy.

The Walking Dead season 1 was great (especially the premier episode.) And maybe I'd give season 6 a nod.

Season 2 of OITNB.