Halloween (Film Series) // Halloween Ends (2022)

If the horror movie genre can be said to have a royal family, then Michael Myers has definitely earned his throne. Along with legends like Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees, the masked killer who made his debut in John Carpenters 1978 Halloween has somehow survived through six direct sequels, a reboot from director Rob Zombie, and a sequel to that reboot. With a massive body count and countless of popcorn buckets spilled at his terrifying presence, Michael has become not only a legendary boogeyman but also an intimidating subject for any new director to tackle.

Now, Halloween fans who are still eager to see another film in the series can rejoice, as current titan of the horror genre Blumhouse Productions has announced that a new Halloween movie is in the works, with Carpenter himself returning as executive producer.

The announcement was made at a press event in Los Angeles (h/t ComingSoon), where it was revealed that Blumhouse will co-finance and produce the film alongside Miramax and Trancas International. Malek Akkad, who has worked on the movies since 1995s Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, will serve as producer alongside Blumhouse studio head Jason Blum. During the press event, Carpenter himself promised that, 38 years after the original Halloween. Im going to help to try to make the 10th sequel the scariest of them all. While he isnt yet confirmed to do so, Blum said that he hoped Carpenter would compose the score for the movie as well, as he did with the original movies now-iconic theme.

This news isnt entirely new; we knew that Akkad was intent on producing another Halloween movie through Miramax since last year, but with long-running horror franchises like this another sequel is almost always in the works in one capacity or another. Whats really promising here is not only that Carpenter will be involved in the making of the film, but also that Blumhouse will be producing and co-financing. The studio has risen to the top over the past few years with a string of new hit horror franchises, including Paranormal Activity, The Purge, Insidious and Sinister. Speaking at the press event, Blum himself said:

Halloween is one of those milestone films that inspired everyone at our company to get into the world of scary movies. The great Malek Akkad and John Carpenter have a special place in the hearts of all genre fans and we are so excited that Miramax brought us together. We cannot wait to find and collaborate with the right filmmaker to give Halloween fans the movie they deserve.

Miramax is still seeking a distribution partner, though its worth mentioning that Blumhouse currently has a 10 year first-look deal with Universal Pictures. Though an official release date has yet to be set, the project is being fast-tracked and the producers are optimistic that it could hit theaters by Halloween next year.

The next Halloween movie is targeting a Halloween 2017 release. Well keep you updated on any further developments.

http://screenrant.com/halloween-blumhouse-john-carpenter/

in the Blumhouse.com article it said that Carpenter will also be Creative Consultant. John was also quoted saying that he will try to make the 10th movie as the scariest of them all.

http://www.blumhouse.com/2016/05/23/michael-is-coming-home-blumhouse-is-co-producing-the-new-halloween-with-john-carpenter-onboard/?platform=hootsuite

suck it Rob Zombie!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Looks like Carpenter and Akkad settled their differences... Carpenter was originally slated to return for H20 but asked for an obscene amount of money to direct as a way to gain the money he felt the Akkad family had owed him over the years.

Anyway, this is a bit surprising. Just when it seemed like Carpenter was finished with the film industry, he comes back. Glad he's getting involved in the medium again. I hope he does the score and maybe use his original idea for Halloween 4 as the basis for the narrative. Would be if great if they got Dean Cundey shoot the film, too, but that's probably wishful thinking.

I read this last night. Love the idea of Carpenter coming back. These are some of my favorite horror films. The original two were the best anyway. I second Dean Cundy coming back too :)

Also I feel like I know alot about the franchise, but I guess I haven't heard what Carpenters idea for the 4th one was, so I'd like to know please.

From what I've read, John Carpenter co-wrote a script with horror novelist Dennis Etchison that revolved around the town of Haddonfield and their attempt to erase the memory of Michael Myers (even going as far as banning Halloween). However, in doing so... by suppressing the past, their fear and angst brings The Shape back into existence.

Moustapha Akkad apparently didn't like the script and rejected it. He wanted the series to go in a more traditional route and recapture the magic of the first film. At this point, Carpenter and Hill sold their remaining rights to Akkad and haven't been involved in the series since... until now.

With respect to Carpenter... I really wish they would let this franchise die. It's beyond franchise zombie at this point, it's a damn franchise skeleton.

Chucky movies have been worse the last several installments so that can go first lol.

last i read Don Mancini is supposed to bring Child's Play back to the horror roots and get rid of the comedy shit.

^ He did in Curse of Chucky.

The way I see it.. if there has to be another entry in the Halloween series, at least the man who created the Shape is involved. Plus, I like the fact there might be a chance we get a new Carpenter score.

If the man who wrote all of the Chucky Movies could bring it back with Curse of Chucky, Carpenter who wasn't involved after the first movie should do good, as long is it isn't a reboot but a continuation of some part of the series.

With respect to Carpenter... I really wish they would let this franchise die. It's beyond franchise zombie at this point, it's a damn franchise skeleton.

As far as I'm concerned, it's been dead. At this point, they have nothing to lose, so they might as well give it a go, on the chance that they actually succeed and redeem the series.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that every film in the series is pretty much garbage, aside from the first one (which I consider to be a horror masterpiece). If there's even a tiny chance that they could replicate that magic, then I definitely want them to go for it.

Edited by Purple Rayne

The way I see it.. if there has to be another entry in the Halloween series, at least the man who created the Shape is involved. Plus, I like the fact there might be a chance we get a new Carpenter score.

If the man who wrote all of the Chucky Movies could bring it back with Curse of Chucky, Carpenter who wasn't involved after the first movie should do good, as long is it isn't a reboot but a continuation of some part of the series.

Carpenter co-wrote and scored the first and second pictures, so he was still involved early on in the series. In fact, he was the one who came up with the Laurie Strode being Michael's sister plot-twist, which he has since professed his regrets for and has gone on record admitting that he was drunk when he came up with that storyline.

I haven't seen the newest Chucky film, so I don't know if it's any good. But -- unpopular opinion alert -- I actually enjoy the direction the series went just before Curse! :D

As far as I'm concerned, it's been dead. At this point, they have nothing to lose, so they might as well give it a go, on the chance that they actually succeed and redeem the series.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that every film in the series is pretty much garbage, aside from the first one (which I consider to be a horror masterpiece). If there's even a tiny chance that they could replicate that magic, then I definitely want them to go for it.

I don't think that's such an unpopular opinion. I think a lot people agree that most of the series is trash (although I'll admit I'm one of those people who thinks HIII is a genuine good horror film). But yes I agree, in my ideal world, the Myers sequels don't exist.

I don't think that's such an unpopular opinion.

Oh? I thought that fans generally enjoyed 2, 4 (and 5, maybe?), and H20.

Well, that's a slightly different story when you're dealing with the fanbase. But even so, many I've seen will admit that 5, 6, and 8 are bad. H20 is continuing to fall out of favor as well as time passes.

Carpenter co-wrote and scored the first and second pictures, so he was still involved early on in the series. In fact, he was the one who came up with the Laurie Strode being Michael's sister plot-twist, which he has since professed his regrets for and has gone on record admitting that he was drunk when he came up with that storyline.

I haven't seen the newest Chucky film, so I don't know if it's any good. But -- unpopular opinion alert -- I actually enjoy the direction the series went just before Curse! :D

i wonder if Halloween had have been as successful if they hadn't have had Laurie be his sister. i think it helped tell the story. he had already killed his older sister, he finds out he has a younger sister so he has unfinished 'family business' to take care of. they only thing they didn't touch upon was what happed to his parents.

I've already talked about my disdain for the plot-twist on this board but basically Michael being Laurie's brother totally goes against how the character was originally conceived. It's awful and a huge mistake on Carpenter's part. Thankfully, it doesn't ruin my enjoyment for the first film.

• 8 months later...

NEW UPDATE: David Gordon Green is directing the new Halloween film and is co-writing the screenplay with Danny McBride.

Well, that's an unexpected creative team. I'm interested to see what their take on the franchise is.

Yeah, that makes two of us then...

A buddy called me bashing the shit out of this idea. But I disagree...

...I don't think it matters that they're comedy writers. It's strange but I'm not going to bitch about it. Apparently Jordan Peele's upcoming "Get Out" horror movie is amazing and he's from the same background.

Halloween is my favourite movie of all time and I absolutely hated Zombie's take on it. But I'm willing to give this a shot at least.

Edited by King Neckbeard The First

A buddy called me bashing the shit out of this idea. But I disagree...

...I don't think it matters that they're comedy writers. It's strange but I'm not going to bitch about it. Apparently Jordan Peele's upcoming "Get Out" horror movie is amazing and he's from the same background.

Halloween is my favourite movie of all time and I absolutely hated Zombie's take on it. But I'm willing to give this a shot at least.

Halloween is my favorite too. Zombies take wasn't complete shit but it wasn't great. His sequel however, was dog shit.