The Great Original CAW discussion thread

Oz70NYC

So I figure it's high time we do a bit of socializing here. This section is dedicated to Original CAWs (Of whom I'll refer to as OCs from here on), and as there are so many new creators popping up along side of us returning vets, why not pick each others brains publicly? Have a place to share insight, inspiration and stories on the creative process behind our creations?

So drop in and say something sometime. Let's get a discussion going, people.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My oc's aren't so original.

Rodrigo, my light weight is basically just a hispanic AJ Styles with a moveset style of AJ and Prince Puma.

MMHg7GH.jpg?1

AJ's P1 on the side and Phenomenal on the boots

rwJs5Ov.jpg?1

One of ADR's tattoos

Elizondo, my power house is a generic tough guy with randy orton's tattoos and the style of 2001 Kane

vwv4wW7.jpg?1

I really wish people would take the 2 seconds to make their caws re-uploadable. It really hinders my ability to share my own caws when they're not.

I personally always take a certain visual tweak or a face/body morphing from other people's work and use that as a starting point for an original caw of my own. Maybe it's something I want to know how it's been achieved, or it's something I want to take a shortcut with since the caw mode can take ages to load pieces sometimes (especially 3d hair and beards). This is the same for real wrestlers too, when i build over-top of those

I really don't go in for the whole 'it's my art, so it's non-reuploadable' thought process. it's a caw, shared to cc too, and even if someone uploads your caw to try to claim as their own, who cares? The small community of caw creators that come to boards such as these instantly know it's a fake upload etc.

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I have used at least 20 of the face templates for my OCs this year. There were a bunch of them that I just really liked and as soon as I saw them, I almost automatically thought of a name and/or background, gimmick, whatever for them. Almost like I knew already who they were.

I get ideas from everywhere, sometimes in my sleep and a lot of times when I'm out and about I just look at logos and designs around town or on cars and the ideas build from there, also get inspiration not only from other wrestlers but also NBA or NFL players

I have a thread for my custom CAWs in the " Miscellaneous CAWs" section for PS4 if anyone wants to check them out.

As for my process when creating OCs, it's actually quite varied. Sometimes I'll get ideas from stuff I see on TV or on the internet and other times an idea will randomly just pop into my head. I'll also sometimes just go into CAW mode and mess around to see if I get any ideas (which is what I just did recently).

As for attire logos and such, I'll usually pick a neat font and put their name/nickname/initials somewhere. As for logos, I usually take stuff from things I like EX: Zelda sword and shield logo, "Sic Parvis Magna" from Uncharted, Kingdom Hearts crown logo etc. I also browse around on certain clothing sites as they sometimes have cool designs I can use (I use RedBubble and TeePublic for those curious).

Here's the site I use for different fonts by the way, may be useful to some of you. http://cooltext.com/

Already have a PS4 caw thread; so most of my character details are there.

http://caws.ws/forum/topic/471481-monkeypastas-oc-caw-showcase/

Here's what I've been doing lately on the steam version with updated attires

Evie the Madwoman,

27285906241_d2f895cdc0_o.jpg

Celine

27356119325_e7e4cd7940_o.jpg

Rachel Romero

26749858593_38a5673724_o.jpg

Marianna " Little Mari" Gomez (tag partner of Romero), alt costume

27356119635_0e07c14da7_o.jpg

Rinni's Cat alt attire

26749858773_03591e15af_o.jpg

Olivia Bardin

26894233484_f3a3f6334e_o.jpg

Jodi Quinn

26749859003_654bf8587b_o.jpg

Jenna Jordan

26687006622_b460c75d43_o.jpg

Dawn Davis

26713721591_73346f1840_o.jpg

Bianca Norrie

26687006792_5fe961da25_o.jpg

Kiyori Toda alt attire

26713721761_d17b26df04_o.jpg

I too have a topic in the ps4 misc section. 2nd page or so.

When I create a CAW, it usually starts with a drawing. Same goes with their attire design. I like to try to go for uniqueness, but sometimes I create basic gear.

Other times, I just create my version of how I envision real wrestlers. Powertrip is my version of the Ascension.

So...This is my new CAW.

Born in Japan, with his mother being from Egypt...

"Zatu" is his name.

He mainly is a Hardcore wrestler, although he is quite small and does some technical stuff aswell...

Any suggestions regarding logos?

4wban8x2.png

So...This is my new CAW.

Born in Japan, with his mother being from Egypt...

"Zatu" is his name.

He mainly is a Hardcore wrestler, although he is quite small and does some technical stuff aswell...

Any suggestions regarding logos?

4wban8x2.png

Honestly? Judging from your explanation of him and the way he looks at the moment, I don't think he needs any logos. Looks great. :cool:

Well...thanks.

But the attire looks kinda bland in matches

I definitely want to add a little bit of character to the pants on the side

How about this?

Zatu_zpsodubdk10.png

Holy shit. That's quite good looking. Can I use it?

If yes...Thanks alot

Absolutely, just made it for you to use however you like. :cool:

Post pictures after you add it, i'd love to see.

Wasn't expecting this thread to make 2 pages yet...lol. Being honest, but I tried a thread like this back in 2013 and it died because people stopped posting on the originals forum following THQ's implosion.

For me, inspiration comes from many mediums. Many, if not all my characters have rooted histories behind them because I've kinda been doing this CAW creation thing since it's inception in WWF War Zone. My core characters all date back that far, and as such has aged just as I have. My oldest character Simon Fierfart is as of 2016 48. In his original incarnation, a gimmick known as Kayos The Destroyer...he was 30. So there is LITERALLY 18 years of history and backstory to him. He's pretty much the central character to my "universe" of characters. Many others emerged and evolved from connections to Simon, siblings (Ryan and Heather Fierhart) , students (Timoa Mamula/Gabriel Dezba), rivals ("Mr. Showtime" Kareem Brown/Terry Rogers), allies (Liedhamer) and enemies (Lucian Priest), etc. The next 2 are younger then Simon, but no less important...Dru Mercer and Jayson Jones. They weren't created until the N64 wrestling games, and when I created originally them they were in their early 20s, Dru under the alias of Dru Romeo and Jay-J under the alias of Tek-9.

It's a damn shame I don't have nor can I find pics of their original incarnations...namely because the internet was only just getting started at the time...that's how far back we're talking. But the evolution some of my older characters have undergone is mind blowing to me sometimes. I use Dru for example. He looks NOTHING like he did when I 1st created him. Back then he wore white trunks, black knee pads and boots and white wrist tape. He was a pretty boy with long black hair, a chiseled frame and a chip on his shoulder. Nowadays, he's a tattooed, short hair/bald, beared brute of a man. His progression in terms of build and age is realistic.

Concepts for my characters come from anywhere. Anime, sports, real life wrestling, movies, fashion. To many places to quantify. Often times I'll come up with something, hate it, scrap it and import the elements I did like into another character completely. Prime example is one of my most popular originals, Blake Evans. Originally he was one half a Tag Team called the Natural Born Thrillerz, an America's Most Wanted themed duo alongside his twin brother Brett. I never even bothered posting the team on the old CAW.ws forum because I didn't like the gimmick. Felt to much like the old Smokin' Gunns team. So I completely scrapped Brett, and took a concept for another character I was going to base off of Razor Callahan from Need For Speed: Most Wanted (The 1st one) and merged it with Blake. The rest is history, and like all others...Blake has evolved. And 3 years ago I ended up bringing Brett back after almost 10 years...resembling Blake in face morphing alone.

Hardest part I find myself facing having been an OC creator for over 18 years now is well...running out of ideas. There's only but so many redesigns and rehashes you can give a character. There's but so many new characters you can make that don't have vague similarities to older ones. I have a list of over 300 characters I've made in the span I've been a creator. But year to year only about 70 are made consistently. Back in the PS2 days I'd crank out 5 or so a week. These days I'm lucky if I make 3 in a month. Not because I lack the desire...not at all. Back then the process was easier...because we had less to work with. Nowdays we have logo importer, and paint tool before that. Back then there was a wealth of in-game resources to use. Now...there's hardly any. So that means you have to either create your own, or find resources online and hope no one else is using the same designs. Then of course there's uploading and importing them...another tedious task. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about them. I just wish the tools to do so were more intuitive. I'd upload and share far more content if it were.

I rambled on long enough...some else take over...lol.

Do any of you use a superstar item for an original caw? I mean like an in-game character's trunks/tights/outfit/mask.

For example, my powerhouse character's first attire was Kane's 2001 attire and now he has HHH's tights. My lightweight guy used to have Christian's tights and now he has AJ Styles's tights (downloaded the P1 and Phenomenal logos)

Archived