WWE Releases Discussion

Bushy.

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1200514687453937664?s=19

WWE is reportedly considering a mass release of superstars for early 2020.

I doubt it now they're in full on "war" mode. They're desperately trying to hold onto anyone semi decent to keep them away from Cody's mob.

In reality thought, wouldn't you want a brand new company to take on a bunch of talent they don't have plans for? Pay big contracts to have guys sit around and do nothing. Like if they released like say a Ryder or Slater what could have possibly do to help AEW with a ratings bump?

No, why would you want to risk that? Ryder and Slater have been on TV and are well known, their joining AEW can give it a boost, even if temporarily. Isn't Slater popular? And didn't Ryder enjoy popularity before being buried?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem with WCW wasnt that they took WWE stars, the problem was that they kept those guys at the top for too long and didnt elevate anybody until it was too late. And TNA isnt a good example because they were still overusing guys that shouldnt have been at the top in WCW anymore, again its about keeping guys at the top instead of elevating. Now I have no problem with AEW taking underutilized WWE talent and trying to make them stars. Someone like Heath Slater or even the Revival should be given a chance to succeed on a higher level. I wish Shawn Spears caught on after the Cody feud but I think he is kinda bland. Give all underutilized talent a chance especially if they have new scenery and challengers

i was talking more like tna taking every wwe guy they got and giving them the world title there first month

The problem with WCW wasnt that they took WWE stars, the problem was that they kept those guys at the top for too long and didnt elevate anybody until it was too late. And TNA isnt a good example because they were still overusing guys that shouldnt have been at the top in WCW anymore, again its about keeping guys at the top instead of elevating. Now I have no problem with AEW taking underutilized WWE talent and trying to make them stars. Someone like Heath Slater or even the Revival should be given a chance to succeed on a higher level. I wish Shawn Spears caught on after the Cody feud but I think he is kinda bland. Give all underutilized talent a chance especially if they have new scenery and challengers

i was talking more like tna taking every wwe guy they got and giving them the world title there first month

I see, I get not liking that but I have enough faith in AEW for a character to at least change. TNA would literally take Wrestler A that acted the same exact way in WWE and make them do the same thing.

I doubt it now they're in full on "war" mode. They're desperately trying to hold onto anyone semi decent to keep them away from Cody's mob.

In reality thought, wouldn't you want a brand new company to take on a bunch of talent they don't have plans for? Pay big contracts to have guys sit around and do nothing. Like if they released like say a Ryder or Slater what could have possibly do to help AEW with a ratings bump?

No, why would you want to risk that? Ryder and Slater have been on TV and are well known, their joining AEW can give it a boost, even if temporarily. Isn't Slater popular? And didn't Ryder enjoy popularity before being buried?

Heath Slater is popular, but I dunno that he's "boost in ratings" popular. I say this as probably his biggest fan on this site. Then again, dude catches on fire at the drop of a hat if he's given an angle, so who knows.

Zack Ryder could potentially bring some views though. Doesn't he still push decent merch numbers? Hell, maybe he takes to social media to revitalize Z True Long Island Story and build hype for himself to jump ship. He's done it before, he could do it again. Like, he's a low carder who WWE know could be a big threat if he got away.

Heath Slater is popular, but I dunno that he's "boost in ratings" popular. I say this as probably his biggest fan on this site. Then again, dude catches on fire at the drop of a hat if he's given an angle, so who knows.

Zack Ryder could potentially bring some views though. Doesn't he still push decent merch numbers? Hell, maybe he takes to social media to revitalize Z True Long Island Story and build hype for himself to jump ship. He's done it before, he could do it again. Like, he's a low carder who WWE know could be a big threat if he got away.

He would get people tuning in to see his debut and what he'd be doing though. If it's a common opinion though that he excels, then that'd make people want to tune in even more.

I dunno, I haven't even watched WWE for months. If AEW gives him free reins, Zack could be building his brand back up again, if it can be salvaged. But then again, I don't know how much damage WWE has done to him, but the main thing I remember is that he got kicked in the balls by Eve Torres.

Think about it this way, Angle was popular when he moved to TNA and that didn't do shit to boost the company, same with Christian and a ton of other top talent. Slater, Ryder, and numerous other that threaten to jump ship aren't anywhere near the same level of those talents and as much as i want to see some of the guys who are talented and not being used get used, if they jump to AEW its still not gonna stop making me watch NXT.

Not only that right now AEW is a mess minus whatever Jericho is doing, people keep coming in and don't have anything to do so why not keep letting them sign more talent that they have zero idea what to do with. Like them take on stuff and overwelm the roster and Khan's wallet while the ratings stay the same.

Bring up talents that eventually became top tier guys is a good point, but it took years for alot of them to become something and we honestly don't know what AEW's shelf life is right now.

THROW EM THE *Censored* UP

Point is...they were no longer dependant on the NWA and thanks to the hiring of red-hot WWE talent, like Christian at the time, gave Spike TV enough confidence in them to not just get the weekly TV started, but also extend the length.

Guest Fight Me.

Ratings barely moved and the reason the dropped the NWA was because they never notified the NWA about a title change between Sting and Abyss and NWA were pissed off.

Lmao they did the same shit with the IWGP tag titles between Team 3D and British Invasion I think.

Ratings barely moved and the reason the dropped the NWA was because they never notified the NWA about a title change between Sting and Abyss and NWA were pissed off.

Lmao they did the same shit with the IWGP tag titles between Team 3D and British Invasion I think.

Yup. Add that to Jeff Hardy showing up intoxicated, putting New Japan's new golden boy (Naito at the time) at risk and the treatment of various shared wrestlers really blew their deal with New Japan at the worst time

The thing that killed TNA more than anything else was that they made a lot of the same mistakes as WCW - Chiefly they got Hogan involved in creative and his little circle. In those days the product even looked the same as WCW. The 6 sided ring went, the usual suspects got hired, the emphasis was put on names over the "TNA Originals", like Joe, Daniels, Styles etc

The only company where Hogan is a benefit is in WWE, because they're big enough to keep him in his box. But to go back to the point of the discussion - a p*ssed off wrestler with something to prove can be very damaging to a former promotion - provided they're allowed to have free reign. Ryder for example is a very charismatic guy, and lots of people would follow him if he moved somewhere where he was allowed to shine. WWE want to avoid giving this embryonic potential rival any weapons they can.

While I think Ryder is undervalued to some degree, if he were to hypothetically get signed by AEW, I dont see him being a huge breakout star. Hes not in the league of a Steve Austin or a Mick Foley who you can see had tremendous talent that wasnt being utilized to a level they deserved. I dont see Ryder being at that skill-level. Someone like Chad Gable, on the other hand, I see more potential in. But at the same time, I dont know if AEW is the answer either since right now their booking instincts concern me.

Ryder and Slater were just examples of people from the undercard.

I know he asked for his release himself, but look at the position CJ Parker aka Juice Robinson is in now.

With another company in the US having a major TV deal right now, the next CJ Parker may find himself in AEW, instead of Japan.

You never know

Yeah and I was countering MikeM's high praise for Ryder, so that's why I'm talking about him...

Juice is a good example of someone whose potential was untapped. Watching him when he was CJ Parker you can tell he had talent that was only being skimmed. Ryder (and I really dont mean to bury the guy), on the other hand, has never appeared to be a guy who had a high-level of talent to me. We've seen enough of him over the years to gauge the level of talent he can be and imo it's not a lot higher than what we've glimpsed.

Personally, I think it's too soon to call Spears a success or not. I know, speaking for myself, I don't find his work as problematic as others on that roster. And their booking (right now) doesn't help matters either (which in fairness can also be applied to Ryder or virtually anyone jumping ship).

This is all conjecture, Legion. Of course, there is a chance for anything. We're speaking in hypotheticals and my hypothetical is based on my knowledge of his work. The likelihood of him being a talent with a lot of upside is slim to me. I don't see what the problem is.

WWE also release Luke Harper

WWE has come to terms on the releases of Jonathan Huber (Luke Harper) and Sin Cara. WWE wishes them all the best in their future endeavors

From WWE.Com

Nero