Power Rangers - 2017 Thread

classiq.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OG Power Rangers came out when I was 8 or 9. I have very fond memories of the OG group. I quit watching before Zeo. I'll watch the movie like I watched the Transformer movies and GI Joe movies because they're from my youth (still haven't watched TMNT). This movie being made puts a Tattooed Teenage Alien Fighters from Beverly Hills reboot one step further.

I'm rewatching the show, and season 2 is kinda lame. Soundtrack isn't as good. Thunder Megazord isn't as cool as the original. Jason, Zack, and Trini are gone, and it takes a while for Rocky, Aisha, and Adam's actors to learn how to act. And things don't really become interesting until Rita marries Lord Zedd. The multi-part episodes are the good ones. Awesome villains, btw. Rita is hilarious with her quips (and so are the putties with their silly dancing), and Zedd is just plain cool. I'm excited about season 3 though. They manage to squeeze a lot of overall plot development into that season.

Oh and I will say, the spandex look isn't half bad, with the exception of the horrible-looking American prop used for green ranger's dragon shield vest. I don't know why people think spandex = campy.

Well, maybe the Thunder Megazord is actually badass. I mean, in most megazord fights, there's usually some kind of struggle before the victory. In season 2 though, there's a few seconds where the enemy might get in some offense, but then boom, victory. Once those eyes light up yellow, you're *censored*ing dead. lol They never had to call the Ultrazord, even once.

May 22 edit: I'm gushing over season 3 though, man. The show is a well-oiled machine at this point. The best writing of MMPR. Rita and Zedd work so much better as a team. And yet, I can't hate them. I love them! Kimberly has grown into a badass, which is going to make her departure a little difficult, but I love Kat, so it'll be fine. The abundance of American footage makes the show look cleaner, more legit. Even as a kid, I thought season 1 looked strangely old.

My main complaints about MMPR 3 are the new morphing calls (ex. "Red Ranger Power!" instead of "Tyrannosaurus!") and the Ninja Megazord (which is fine in the movie and toys, but looks like shit on the show due to terrible quality Sentai footage).

So far I'd rate them:

1. Season 3

2. Season 1

3. Season 2 (saved by "The Wedding", because Rita is hilarious)

Yeah, I was wrong about the Thunder Ultrazord. I had watched about the first 1.5 seasons a few years ago, so I picked up with the latter part of season 2 recently.

The Ninja Megazord's punching finisher does look like shit though. But the Shogun Megazord is nice.

If you're like me, seeing a publicity picture wasn't good enough. I wanted to see what the suits look like in action. How much is CG, etc.? Well... Set photos!

Those triforce things won't be there in the movie. Green guys are apparently CG putties. Sadly there doesn't appear to be room for the blade blasters on these Ranger suits.

AswtRFy.jpg

3RS2rvf.jpg

29qpdzj.jpg

5ldCRpH.jpg

By the way, if this doesn't play at some point during the movie I'm... very disappointed.

Ron Wasserman, who created the original music, went back and remade the tracks in 2012. This sounds like it would fit in perfectly with the new movie. Even if it didn't though, Spider-Man played that awful 60s theme during its credits.

TBH I've already accepted this film isn't give live up to my own hype. That's the thing about nostalgia, nothing ever lives up to it. Like even if they could get the original actors for this (which can't happen cos Thuy Trang etc are dead), it still wouldn't be the same cos they're older now. I'm sure I'll still enjoy this cos it's *censored*ing Power Rangers, but at the same time I already know it'll never live up to my impossible expectations. The most I can ask for is that, objectively speaking (if we can do that), this isn't complete and utter shit, Like that fanmade film.

I think the fanmade film with Kimberly was awesome. It took the adult approach, with the guns and the guy whom was expected to be Tommy, killing everyone to save Kimberly or whatever. And Kimberly , whom was played by the original actor eventually being dead, and being revealed as Rita Repulsa, who was also played by the original actor.

But yeah, who is that playing Jason/The Red Ranger? Looks like the guy from Magic Mike. But I ultimately suspect some cameos by some of the original actors, those who remain alive anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

He was in the original power rangers and Billy name base off of him

Plus the release a photo of the power coins which look like a combination of the power coins and Dino crystals if you look closely at a picture with a staff you see what looks like the green dino power Crystal inside her staff

That would definitely support the fan theory that Rita herself was once the Green Ranger as well as her connection to the Power Rangers themselves, which all the sites claim there's supposed to be

Archived