Best Game in Terms of Actual Wrestling

So I've been revisiting past wrestling games a lot recently, generally my favorites on the PS2, and I've noticed that my favorite in terms of just.. well, wrestling, is the original SmackDown Vs RAW game, or SmackDown Vs RAW 2005. The movements of the models, animation on moves and reversals all just seem so fluid to me, and I feel like I can legitimately tell a story with wrestlers in the ring in this game. I've been playing the PPV Mode a lot recently and fantasy booking past events from the 2004/2005 era. The only thing that turns me off is how frustrating the A.I. is sometimes, sometimes they'll pin after a regular move and it'll actually end a match which is so annoying, and when they have me KO'd after a finisher on the mat next to the ropes instead of pulling me away, they just don't know what to do and continue to attack.

What's yours?

I'm gonna have to go to the opposite end of the spectrum and say Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. Yeah it's 2D and not the greatest in terms of graphics for the time period. But I always liked the control you had for each edit you make. Like the whole logic programming and everything. You were essentially making the A.I. for each edit. I always liked how you could do that. In the FPR realm it's possible to do just any kind of roster you want for it. The logo maker is pure gold if you know how to use it. It's the perfect game to run simulated matches on(If you're into that. Personally I do both.). Basically nothing is off limits in FPR. I couldn't tell you how many fantasy bookings I've done. With create a ring,belt and logo it was groundbreaking. The movements are obviously somewhat generic. The reversals are some of the coolest things about it. It's not just the same 7-8 reversals the SvR series had. It was whatever you programmed it to be.

I'm gonna have to go to the opposite end of the spectrum and say Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. Yeah it's 2D and not the greatest in terms of graphics for the time period. But I always liked the control you had for each edit you make. Like the whole logic programming and everything. You were essentially making the A.I. for each edit. I always liked how you could do that. In the FPR realm it's possible to do just any kind of roster you want for it. The logo maker is pure gold if you know how to use it. It's the perfect game to run simulated matches on(If you're into that. Personally I do both.). Basically nothing is off limits in FPR. I couldn't tell you how many fantasy bookings I've done. With create a ring,belt and logo it was groundbreaking. The movements are obviously somewhat generic. The reversals are some of the coolest things about it. It's not just the same 7-8 reversals the SvR series had. It was whatever you programmed it to be.

I'm ashamed to admit I never played any of the FPW games. They're renowned, but I just never got my hands on them. I might just order a copy if I find them in a reasonable enough price like I did with used SmackDown games on Amazon.

It should be fairly cheap. Especially when the NTSC version was first released. It was $14.99-19.99 brand new. I another copy at a local game store 3 years ago for $7.00 used. It's worth a pick up if you can. I would recommend getting a AR Max too though. That way you can enjoy the sweet edit packs people like Desertpunk,DJKM,CaptainHowdy and various others have released. Especially the DJKM stuff for a general all around wrestling saves. I highly recommend Desertpunk for his Puro Kingdom and Real World saves.

Archived