Dark Souls Series

CROSS-Out

It's settled then. I'm getting Bloodborne after this. The no blocking should be interesting.

To be fair, there is one single shield in the (non DLC) game. Its a joke item, it will block one single hit, and then stagger you.

Hella good against arcane though.

I'm referring to the wooden shield, not the badass arcane shield in the DLC (which is indeed amazing against arcane, especially since certain enemies in bloodborne abuse the hell out of arcane). The wooden shield can only take a single hit before staggering. Because From Software is nothing if not willing to joke.

I want a bloodborne 2. I mean, i'm fairly certain it'll happen since the souls series in general is From Softwares cash cow, but with DS coming to an end, I imagine we'll get a continuation of bloodborne and maybe another new setting (sci-fi plz).

Dude, I know. The planks shield is secretely killer against arcane, and I don't think people ever realized that. It ALMOST makes the DLC one redundant. Not quite, because arcane weapons and stuff, but it's good. The plank trivializes Rom, for example. Legit.

Ahh, well I wouldn't know that about rom. Once you learn his tells its pretty trivial to dodge his attacks (dodge multiple times to one side to avoid his ice storm for instance).

Sucks against guns though, holy shit that one hunter in the cathedral in Eileens questline was a nightmare.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, slightly related, has anyone tried the Nioh demo? It's pretty much a blend of Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden gameplay, in feudal japan. very interesting.

So, slightly related, has anyone tried the Nioh demo? It's pretty much a blend of Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden gameplay, in feudal japan. very interesting.

Yeah, I think it's really good! Found it a lot harder to get used than Dark Souls. I've finally got it down and have been really enjoying it, got absolutely destroyed by the boss though aha.

Yeah, I think it's really good! Found it a lot harder to get used than Dark Souls. I've finally got it down and have been really enjoying it, got absolutely destroyed by the boss though aha.

It definitely needs some work (the animations for instance are fairly subpar in some categories) but I'm really enjoying it, and will definitely be picking it up on release.

I just wing it. I only play through games once usually so I just level up what I feel I need. I think I've got two bosses left. The final main boss and the Nameless King. I wish I could swap out my starting levels in attunement cos I never touch FP. Also, I always feel like the best weapon in these games is the one I start with.

I just wing it. I only play through games once usually so I just level up what I feel I need. I think I've got two bosses left. The final main boss and the Nameless King. I wish I could swap out my starting levels in attunement cos I never touch FP. Also, I always feel like the best weapon in these games is the one I start with.

You've gotten through the smouldering lake then, I take it? I only ask because I missed that in my first run through and didn't realize it was there until my second.

Yeah I was farming some souls I needed by collapsing the bridge with the skeletons running across it and noticed the 'Decend' prompt.

Man, what a clever way to add another zone. I missed it my first time through and smacked myself when I realized.

Archdreak Peak is a lot less stressful when you know where all the enemies are.

I was surprised how large those optional areas are too. I attempted the Nameless King twice but I was getting fatigued with the game. I beat 5 bosses and got to him in the same game session and just thought to myself '*Censored* this guy, I'm done.' I was being careless in the first stage against the dragon using a shit ton of flasks and not really learning anything when I faced him. I'll give that fight another shot tomorrow before heading to what I guess will be the final boss.

I just beat Nameless King again in NG Plus, he's definitely difficult, but luckily after a while his tells become rather obvious.

I really liked the final boss. It certainly didn't have any sort of emotional aspect to it, like Gwyn or Gehrman, but the fight itself was great.

The Gwyn throwback during the second phase was so awesome. I thought it was a beautiful way to close the series, and really hammered in the cyclical nature of Dark Souls, from both a story/lore and gameplay perspective.

I really liked the final boss. It certainly didn't have any sort of emotional aspect to it, like Gwyn or Gehrman, but the fight itself was great.

The Gwyn throwback during the second phase was so awesome. I thought it was a beautiful way to close the series, and really hammered in the cyclical nature of Dark Souls, from both a story/lore and gameplay perspective.

Personally, I thought Gwyn was a really lame final boss. The whole story was about him, but in the end he was just a pushover (lolparry lolpoise) with no cinematics or memorable fighting style. I didn't hate him, but I didn't really found him memorable, whereas SoC is pretty charming with how it really builds the feeling of fighting everyone. The second half is gimmicky, but I found the memory of him actually more touching that the fight with him itself. :lol:

Personally, I thought Gwyn was a really lame final boss. The whole story was about him, but in the end he was just a pushover (lolparry lolpoise) with no cinematics or memorable fighting style.

I never parry or use shields, and wear very light armor, so fighting Gwyn was actually really intense for me. I can certainly see why it'd be lame for other builds/tactics, though.

The overall simplicity of it, combined with the beautiful soundtrack, really gave the impression that you were fighting against a man in shambles, far past his prime, who's destined to fail at carrying out his mission. It was all very fitting.

Those are the kinds of fights that stick with me and leave the biggest impressions.

• 5 weeks later...

I've come to the conclusion that from software *censored*ed up when it came to the nameless king bossfight. Not because it's a bad boss fight, but the nameless king was clearly created with only certain builds in mind. builds based on slower weapons like greatswords and ultra greatswords are nearly impossible to win with because his attacks come faster than yours and will always hit you during your recovery, and he seems to have infinite poise (seriously From, get off your goddamn asses, admit you messed up, and fix poise).

Because of this, a build I've gone through the entire game with, a Guts build, has to use a straight sword in order to stand a chance. It's a case of From not knowing when something is too much. The Nameless King does way too much damage for how fast his attacks come out.

He's definitely harder with slow weapons, but doable. But that's kind of always been the case in DS. Some builds will really struggle against certain bosses. Poise is broken though, yeah. Broken on enemies and a shit system for players. :lol:

He's definitely harder with slow weapons, but doable. But that's kind of always been the case in DS. Some builds will really struggle against certain bosses. Poise is broken though, yeah. Broken on enemies and a shit system for players. :lol:

Thats what I mean. slow weapon strength builds got *censored*ed over because of poise, and because of this, its damn near impossible on the nameless king due to the recovery time and the inability to power through attacks.

God I hope they fix poise before the DLC is out.

Archived