Can we talk CPU AI, and skills/attributes/abilities for future games?

ksdixon

Please note, these examples are related to CPU vs CPU AI simulations in Exhibition Mode.

My friend and I are about ready to rip our hair out with simming CPU vs CPU matches.
All we want is to have good match simulations (a couple of near-falls and a finisher or two from each participant), with characters that act like we want them to act.

We want our Cruiserweights to fly, we want our MMA characters to submit people etc.
I want to control the likelyhood or frequency that a wrestler will go for an OMG move such as a Scuicide Dive, not just have the ability to toggle yes or no if he uses one. I want to stop wrestlers whom don't have the 'top rope dives' skill sprinting to the middle rope to jump onto an opponent on the outside and then thinking 'oh yeah, i don't do top rope dives' and jumping down again - it looks stupid.

At the moment we have to jump through hoops. Lowering every other character's arm/leg durability hit points, or lowering their resistance to submissions to make the submissionists do well and actually submit people, but then we have a problem of not giving those MMA characters an advantage as a result. We have to turn down the offensiveness of strikes and grapples in order to force a high flying CAW to use it's 'strongest' offense moves, aerial dives etc. But these CAWs are then at a disadvantage by default, because their strikes and grapples are garbage verses everyone else's.

Why does having Mouthpiece and Teamwork abilities turned-on, make CPU AI less aggressive in 1v1 matches where a tag partner or a manager aren't present. By right, those abilities shouldn't have any reason to affect anything unless it is a Singles with Manager or a Tag match.

We can't figure-out how to increase the likely hood of seeing fatigue animations for moves, or the crawling-for-pin status that was a lot more common in 2K15. I think this is something to do with the fact that you now have to have full stamina to use a finisher - I assume in 2K15 a CPU AI would just use a finisher whenever they got it, as normal, even if they had next to no stamina left, and would do the fatigued move animation. I'm almost certain in 2K15 they would crawl-for-the-pin just from being tired, instead of that only triggering via certain moves. Contrasted with 2K16 where a CPU AI has to have full stamina to use a finisher... and thus both tired move animations and crawl-to-pin are much less common, because you can't have full stamina and be out of stamina at the same time etc. Someone explain this to me.

Why can I load a CAW up with all grapples and sigs/finishers specifically off the 'Fatigued Moves List', sim 1v1 CPU vs CPU AI match for 15 minutes, and not see one instance of fatigued move animation change, nevermind the crawl-to-pin mechanic.

How can a CAW dominate in CPU vs CPU matches on Easy difficulty, but become absolutely middle of the pack on Normal and Hard? Nothing about the CAW or their opponents is changed. Realistically/Statistally, what is the difference between all the difficulty levels?

Why do I get Extreme Rules and No Holds Barred matches with about 3 weapons in them (1x chair, 1x stick, 1x stairs), or Tables and Ladders brought out from under the ring but then never used, yet another friend claims to get 'loads' of weapons? What causes the AI to use weapons more?

Why do the personality traits seem to have no effect whatsoever? Are they purely for MyCareer and Universe Mode cutscenes, such as 'Dastardly' personality trait making them more likely to attack post match in a video scene?

Why does Universe Mode contain different AI to Exhibition Mode, or at least it seems to.

Seriously... what are the best work-arounds to get the AI to do what you want, and how could 2K improve things for future games?

Play Fire Pro, because so far neither THQ nor 2k has managed to simply understand the latter games simple logic and tendency system to get wrestlers to perform like their real life counterparts, and simply expand on it. Until they do, I fear CPU Vs. CPU sims in 2k's WWE games will continue to play like shit.

Archived