Heel or Face?

-O_D-

Good ass question. I was leaning toward heel being harder, because these days if you play your character well enough and are interesting, most crowds will cheer which of course isn't the reaction you want as a heel. I think heels get a lot more creative freedom. But nah t's gotta be way harder to be a face. You can get boring so easily and it's heavily dependant on booking.

Face. It's hard to be well liked by a large majority of different demographics. Think about Sami Zayn. Kids, "the Internet" and I'm even sure some casuals will love him because he just, well seems likeable. But someone like Vince Russo isn't impressed because he looks just like a "wrestler". You can't please everyone.

Face is obviously harder. Heels are the cool, everyone wants you to go heel. Faces usually have to rely on cheap pops, or are just hated for being stale, over pushed, whatever.

Good ass question. I was leaning toward heel being harder, because these days if you play your character well enough and are interesting, most crowds will cheer which of course isn't the reaction you want as a heel. I think heels get a lot more creative freedom. But nah t's gotta be way harder to be a face. You can get boring so easily and it's heavily dependant on booking.

Yeah man, that's what I think too. It's really tricky nowadays it seems for both parties to garner the desired reaction. But yeah you hit the nail with faces being heavily dependent on booking, which does makes it a bit harder on them. Plus, heels reflect off of faces to help them gain boos (at least that's how it's suppose to work). If the writer presents a good plot while allowing the face to adapt to the crowd (meaning more freedom), the heel would get the desired reaction due to ill actions towards the beloved face. If that effort and opportunity was put into more face characters, reactions would likely go as planned.

I'm starting to believe you can't even be an actual good heel nowadays without being cheered due to lack of relatable AND credible face characters.

Face. It's hard to be well liked by a large majority of different demographics. Think about Sami Zayn. Kids, "the Internet" and I'm even sure some casuals will love him because he just, well seems likeable. But someone like Vince Russo isn't impressed because he looks just like a "wrestler". You can't please everyone.

Yeah, I've always subscribed to the theory it's harder to be loved, than it is to be hated. Plus as others have pointed out, the scope of being a heel is much wider - you can break the rules and basically do what you want as a bad guy. A babyface has to remain largely within a framework.

Take Roman, he would be less stunted as a heel - however he would raise the issue of probably being such a badass, the smart fans would take to him.

If Roman becomes a heel, he's won a fan in me.

I like him when he's just a badass, the beatdown on "Tripuwaich" was really good. (Listen to Roman, he can't say "Triple H")

I think it's harder to be a heel. A few of you have said it's easier to be cheered/get over when you're a heel, however if you are being cheered and loved you're not really doing the job properly D:. Maybe get over is the wrong term to use 'cause everyone has to get over, but you know what I mean <333

I'm so happy you added "today" this was a tough question.

Today? Face. Post Cena no one wants a squeaky clean face in the top position. New Day were so hated a faces they turned heel by default, now they're so over as heels they're practically faces by default.

Face. Much more challenging to get people to really love you. Don't think it's half as tough to get them to boo. Easier to be disliked on a consistent basis and piss everyone off as compared to being someone they care to cheer whenever they see them.

They would both be equally challenging.

As a face, you have to able get people to like you.

And as a heel, you have to be convincing and hatable enough to get boos or "cool" enough. And that's not a common thing as people make it out to be. There are lots of heels on the roster with no heat

Question: Would you agree with this?

Just because you’re playing a bad guy and people boo at you does not mean you’re being an effective heel. An effective heel doesn’t just piss people off for no reason, he does it to make people want to pay to see a babyface beat him up in a (kayfabe) fight. If the fans see past that (for any reason) and decide they’re not actually mad at the character, then the fight doesn’t matter, which means the heel has failed.

Neither...if politics stay out of the goddamn way.

You mind elaborating on this?

If I understood right: think John Cena, Roman Reigns and his push, or Rocky Maivia. They were/are pushed as super babyface and get/got boos.

The heels have gotten much more attention over the last 6 years so that the golden boy John Cena could eventually "save the day" by taking them out.

The only other face I can recall getting massively over with the fans were Daniel Bryan, Zack Ryder and Damien Sandow but all 3 struggled with the companys bsing around with their booking and only Bryan managed to overcome it.

Also it seems like they use a face turn as a way of punishment for some too which says a lot. R Truth for example was never the same when he went back face.

Archived