Red Dead Redemption 2

Bronson

Red Dead Redemption 2 Might Support Xbox One and PS4 Cross-Play

Sony recently had to defend its decision to block PlayStation cross-play with certain Xbox and Nintendo games, but it looks like Red Dead Redemption 2 might be an exception to that stance. Though it was recently delayed by Rockstar Games, the news and rumors surrounding Red Dead Redemption 2 can be expected to continue up to the release. Adored by the masses when the original game hit shelves all the way back in 2010, the title racked up impressive sales and continues to live on through backwards compatibility and a strong, loyal following. Red Dead Redemption felt like the start of something special (despite being a sequel itself to 2004’s Red Dead Revolver), and fans will soon get to jump straight back into the action.

Officially announced in October, 2016, Red Dead Redemption 2 was originally scheduled for release in late 2017. Now it won’t hit platforms until spring 2018 at the earliest, with Rockstar Games claiming a desire to create “the best experience possible” as the reason for its pushback. Another reason may have just been revealed however, if a recent Comicbook.com scoop is to be believed.

The website says that multiple unnamed sources have confirmed Rockstar’s interest in cross-platform multiplayer for Red Dead Redemption 2, allowing players on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4 to come together, no matter which console they’re playing from. Discussions are said to currently be underway between Rockstar, Sony and Microsoft, but no official word on exactly how those talks are going have yet been given.

As referenced above, Sony has refused to allow its players to share a gaming platform with those playing on Xbox One. More recently, developers were denied the ability to offer cross-play on the three major consoles, a decision Sony attributed to “commercial” factors.

Hearing that we may soon be able to play some of the biggest game releases of the year with our friends no matter their console of choice is certainly an exciting prospect. There’s often been online battles between friends and strangers as to which console is better suited for gamers, but when it all comes down to having fun, those differences would likely be put aside to enjoy a multiplayer experience like none other.

In saying that, the work that must go into making cross-platform play available has to be something stellar. Supporting a multitude of players with varying latency and internet provider and the like is already a very tough job, so to double up on all of that work simply so Xbox players can team with their PS4 buddies may not be worth it for developers in the long run, even if it is one of the most consumer friendly choices manufacturers can make.

http://screenrant.com/red-dead-redemption-2-xbox-ps4-cross-play/

• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

possible info coming Sept 28. ?

Rockstar has posted a teaser on Twitter, confirming that something is happening regarding Red Dead Redemption 2 next week. The nature of what exactly is being teased is anyone's guess, but it could be a multiplayer reveal, or perhaps a new trailer.

All we know is that the Red Dead Redemption 2 teaser points to Thursday, 28th September, 11am ET. What could it be?

https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/911228595644837888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.xboxachievements.com%2Fnews%2Fnews-28143-Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Teaser-Points-to-Something-Happening-Next-Week.html

https://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-28143-Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Teaser-Points-to-Something-Happening-Next-Week.html

So who is the main guy, a young Marston?

Nope, new guy named Morgan. Dutch was in the trailer but it was a very clearly younger version, so I'd bet this all takes place long before Marston joined the gang.

Initial feeling is that I don't like this new main character at all. He seems like a sack of shit...and not in a relatable "just trying to live life" kind of way...but more of a "going out of my way to be a sack of shit" kind of way. I don't really have any interest in being a complete piece of shit gunslinger type character. I have a sour feeling that this game is already going to fall short of the masterpiece that was the first Redemption, simply because people aren't going to relate with this character. Other than that, the game looks amazing, and I'm sure it will be. I just really, really, REALLY can't stress enough how much I am not looking forward to playing as this character.

Edited by Generations

It's been awhile since I.touched RDR. Still tryna figure out.why I gave up on it but there was no mention of this Morgan guy anywhere in that game? Maybe Marston was his replacement.

Man remember the days when Rockstar would craft these amazing open worlds but there were kinda crappy to look at especially compared to many of their triple A peers? Now they've got the best of both worlds. It looks amazing. I wish I was a.little more into it but I might check it out. I found the online in RDR a bit frustrating, enjoyed vanilla GTAIV so much more, so it defo wouldn't be for that

I mean, I dont know. The trailer looked *censored*ing amazing! Not on board with the main character. I know its just a trailer, but it seems hes a straight criminal. Like, Im curious who the antagonist is.

Because even in games like GTA, the antagonist is also a piece of shit. The characters arent total pieces of shit and have redeeming qualities (except Trevor, I guess).

Its going to be hard to top John Marston. But, its only a trailer. Im still *censored*ing stoked to play it!

Because even in games like GTA, the antagonist is also a piece of shit. The characters arent total pieces of shit and have redeeming qualities (except Trevor, I guess).

Nah...even Trevor gets a 1-up on this guy (at least based on what the trailer shows). Trevor was just batshit crazy...but he wasn't an outright terrible person. He had some twisted sense of morals. This Red Dead character just seems like a prick.

You came to the conclusion this guy is a total prick from just a minute and a half of footage?

Yeah...I mean, it seemed pretty straight forward. Very basic face and body language...in addition to the blatant prickish things that he was saying...including a line about keeping a man's widow as a slave or something along those lines...

Edited by Generations

I don't want Marston, tbh...his story was told, and was concluded beautifully. No reason to open that book again. I just wanted a character that I can actually enjoy playing as. And I'm not saying that I won't end up liking this character in the end. But...my initial reaction is that it seems like a poor direction for the game.

I would have taken a Mexican or a Native Indian over a random white dude who seems like the archtype of the same guys who killed Marston in the first game. I mean...that's my gut feeling about this character. He reminds me of the type of dude that Edgar Ross would have had on his payroll. How am I supposed to get behind that?

I don't want Marston, tbh...his story was told, and was concluded beautifully. No reason to open that book again. I just wanted a character that I can actually enjoy playing as. And I'm not saying that I won't end up liking this character in the end. But...my initial reaction is that it seems like a poor direction for the game.

I would have taken a Mexican or a Native Indian over a random white dude who seems like the archtype of the same guys who killed Marston in the first game. I mean...that's my gut feeling about this character. He reminds me of the type of dude that Edgar Ross would have had on his payroll. How am I supposed to get behind that?

Yeah that would be cool too. I actually thought Landon Ricketts could have been the hero of the eventual prequel since he was such a legend in the first game, but alas no.