Sting's done

Ziggy Vercetti

"Sting's wrestling career is over ... TMZ Sports has learned.

Long story short ... the wrestling legend messed up his neck real bad at his "WWE Night of Champions" match against Seth Rollins back in September -- and was never able to recover.

Sources connected to Sting tell us he was evaluated by several doctors who all agree -- it's just too risky for the wrestler to get back in the squared circle ... so, he's decided to hang up his singlet.

We're told the 56-year-old was formally diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis -- a condition affecting the nerves that can result in extreme pain and discomfort.

In fact, it's the same condition that forced fellow WWE superstar Edge to retire in 2011.

Our sources tell us Sting may make his official announcement next month at the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony in Texas ... but we're told it's a done deal.

As far as Sting's future -- it's up in the air. We're told Sting is open to a non-physical role with the company ... but we're told no formal offer has been made.

Sting was a legend in the ring ... rising to superstardom in the late '80s before becoming the face of the WCW and a huge fan favorite in the WWE."

#Respect

Salute to him for what he's done over the years.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Retires with a 100% losing record #respect

In all seriousness, sucks for him and I wish him all the best in his retirement.

Lots of respect for Sting. Its just such a bitter pill personally that we finally got Sting in WWE and we will still never get Sting vs Undertaker. However i did enjoy his run in WWE, his feud with Triple & his match with Rollins and it was just great to see him. I think his HOF speech is going to be very emotional now.

In all seriousness, sucks for him and I wish him all the best in his retirement.

Sting and Cena beat Seth and Show on Raw.

But yeah, shame he didn't win his only Mania match but at least he made it. Respect.

Respect to Sting. He's had a fantastic career.

Stig and Cena beat Seth and Show on Raw.

Also won by DQ against Big Show just prior to that tag match.

Shame he didn't make the jump sooner... so many dream matches we missed out on. Plus he seemed very happy in the WWE as well so it sucks to see it was cut short :( I'm glad we didn't see Taker/Sting during his short time here though.

Archived