WWE SmackDown HCTP - Running grapple question

Impaler

I want to know this little thing. I was playing WWE SmackDown HCTP and I got a question about the RUNNING GRAPPLE attack. In order for a runnign grapple to work the opp. has to be groggy. What the.. ??? I played SD 1, SD2 KYR, SVR 2006 and so on and this was never a requirement. Not being able to use a running grapple right off really messes with my game flow.

Instead I most likely perform an irish whip instead or go behind the opp. Is there any setting in the game menu or a gameshark / codebreaker / something code that sorts this out?

thanks.

well I like it and I'll surely play it. And I'm not late to the party, just got annoyed by that particular mechanic to the point I attempted to create a topic and ask if there's a way around it. :)

been playing HCTP on and off since 2005 but, SVR 06 really takes the cake and is by far the most played game of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the thread starter. HCTP is one of the best wrestling games around, but it is annoying that the opponent needs to be in a groggy state for a running grapple to connect. If there were a code to fix that issue, I'd certainly use it, just as I use codes to fix other issues in the game that annoy me (like the restrictions on which appearance layers can be used for what, or which moves can be assigned where).

If it helps anyone, my most reliable methods for connecting with a running grapple are to either irish whip the opponent into the ropes and then hit them with it as they're coming back (rebounding off the opposite ropes yourself is optional), or to toe kick the opponent, step backward a couple of paces, then quickly press the run button followed by the grapple button in quick succession.

Neither is an ideal workaround, but it's the best I've managed to come up with. Alternative suggestions are welcome.

I was never bothered by it. You have plenty of options to make them groggy : you could sweep their leg from ringside while they're facing front, you could toe kick them, you could use the irish whip method, you could run from behind them and press square..

Personally, I just use strikes whenever attacking an opponent who's not groggy head-on, and get them in a running grapple whenever they're groggy. In fact, it kind of makes the running grapple more special, as it's harder to achieve.

The only method that feels somewhat organic though -- as in, something you might actually see in a match -- is the irish whip to the ropes. A real world wrestler would never set up a sunset flip or a crucifix pin by snagging the opponent's leg from ringside, or with a kick to the gut. The irish whip and ringside grab methods aren't even possible in backstage areas. You're pretty much left with just the toe kick, and it feels very inauthentic to set up a running grapple like that.

A similar issue I have with the game is the difficulty in setting up a Diving Cross Body Pin from the top turnbuckle. The opponent specifically has to be facing your wrestler in a groggy, standing state, at the moment that your wrestler is perched on a turnbuckle. I've only found two ways of setting this move up thus far. The first requires you to have On The Top Rope set at your turnbuckle running attack; you irish whip the opponent back-first into a corner, then hit them with On The Top Rope (a corner clothesline, followed by your wrestler automatically mounting the turnbuckle), at which point you can perform the Diving Cross Body Pin. The other way is to snag the opponent's leg from outside the ring again, then quickly run in and mount one of the turnbuckles on the opposite side of the ring.

Both these methods are somewhat hit & miss though, as there needs to be a certain amount of distance between you and your opponent, otherwise your wrestler will fly through the air but fail to connect with the pin. And it all feels very untrue to real life wrestling; this just isn't how a diving pin would be set up in a real match. Plus, if one of the CPU-controlled wrestlers has the Diving Cross Body Pin as his finisher -- like my Ricky Steamboat CAW, for example -- there's no chance whatsoever of him connecting with the move, even if I max out his Smackdown! icons from the start, and assign On The Top Rope as his turnbuckle running attack. As a CPU-controlled character, he effectively becomes a wrestler without a finisher.

The only method that feels somewhat organic though -- as in, something you might actually see in a match -- is the irish whip to the ropes. A real world wrestler would never set up a sunset flip or a crucifix pin by snagging the opponent's leg from ringside, or with a kick to the gut. The irish whip and ringside grab methods aren't even possible in backstage areas. You're pretty much left with just the toe kick, and it feels very inauthentic to set up a running grapple like that.

A similar issue I have with the game is the difficulty in setting up a Diving Cross Body Pin from the top turnbuckle. The opponent specifically has to be facing your wrestler in a groggy, standing state, at the moment that your wrestler is perched on a turnbuckle. I've only found two ways of setting this move up thus far. The first requires you to have On The Top Rope set at your turnbuckle running attack; you irish whip the opponent back-first into a corner, then hit them with On The Top Rope (a corner clothesline, followed by your wrestler automatically mounting the turnbuckle), at which point you can perform the Diving Cross Body Pin. The other way is to snag the opponent's leg from outside the ring again, then quickly run in and mount one of the turnbuckles on the opposite side of the ring.

Both these methods are somewhat hit & miss though, as there needs to be a certain amount of distance between you and your opponent, otherwise your wrestler will fly through the air but fail to connect with the pin. And it all feels very untrue to real life wrestling; this just isn't how a diving pin would be set up in a real match. Plus, if one of the CPU-controlled wrestlers has the Diving Cross Body Pin as his finisher -- like my Ricky Steamboat CAW, for example -- there's no chance whatsoever of him connecting with the move, even if I max out his Smackdown! icons from the start, and assign On The Top Rope as his turnbuckle running attack. As a CPU-controlled character, he effectively becomes a wrestler without a finisher.

It's actually arguably easier in backstage areas. Just irish whip your opponent onto an object and they'll turn around to face you in a groggy position, and there's always that irish whip/square button combo.

Archived