Report: Vince McMahon Does Not See Most NXT Talent As “Stars”

lightning116

NXT has grown into a touring brand beloved by fans around the world, but WWE Chairman & CEO Vince McMahon is not entirely sold on its potential. According to Dave Meltzer in the latest Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Vince is largely not convinced NXT talent are “stars” who can draw money in WWE. Meltzer wrote:

“Vince isn’t going to step aside, but there is a lot of concern about the rigid decision making and limited viewpoint on who can be real top stars. While publicly HHH will say Vince loves NXT, the internal perception is very different, seeing it as a touring brand filled with so many guys Vince doesn’t believe are money.”

http://www.sescoops.com/report-vince-mcmahon-doesnt-see-nxt-wrestlers-as-stars/#icymi

I don't know if this is legit or not, but I would not be the least bit surprised by this if it is.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether that's on the NXT-guys or on WWE-management is a different story. And Cena is elite. They don't need to make Cena money. Just very good money.

Sure they do, maybe not to you - but WWE obviously wants a replacement, someone who can help the company financially - someone to fill Cena's spot on and off camera.

Whether that's on the NXT-guys or on WWE-management is a different story. And Cena is elite. They don't need to make Cena money. Just very good money.

Sure they do, maybe not to you - but WWE obviously wants a replacement, someone who can help the company financially - someone to fill Cena's spot on and off camera.

Many people in the past and present were/are capable of doing that, as we could see by their merchandise being sold out within a week whenever they restocked.

And no. Nobody needs to replace Cena....

Again with this idea that if someone can't be the absolute face of the company then they're not worth it at all. That's just wrong and a stupid way to look at things.

Nobody needs to replace Cena, hell the fans don't WANT anyone to replace Cena. It's this same silly argument that if someone can't be a main-eventer then they suck or shouldn't be bothered with. We have a mid-card and upper mid-card for a reason dammit.

Vince is right, though. Regardless of how much we're sick of him - none of the NXT guys could've, can or will bring in Cena-levels of cash for WWE.

As it's already been said before, they don't need to replace Cena, what they need to do is to create more than one Cena, not even do they have to draw exactly like Cena. What WWE needs is main eventers that draw, as in more than one, period. Not that I don't think there's some talent in NXT who CAN be the next Cena. But the majority of the NXT roster definitely have the ability to be stable main event talent. Like there was back in lets say the Attitude Era & Ruthless Aggression Era as well. More than one main eventer that just drew huge merchandise sales and drew big. But along with that guy, they had other main eventers who complimented that and were huge and sold there own merchandise and drew crowds on their own merit based on what they brought to the table.

I think a lot of the NXT roster all have something that they could bring to the WWE and eventually the main event and become successful with. And the roster continues to get better and better through their signings.

Genuinely think his complacency is a far bigger issue than him being terribly behind with the times. It isn't surprising to know he doesn't see money in them, but he's the kind of guy who wouldn't even bother giving them a chance. Too far up his own ass.

Ya know, it amazes me how superstars/divas are reblogging these on twitter/tumblr or whatever and saying how there is no truth but yet everyone takes them so seriously. It's from the horses mouth that they're not. (inb4theymadethemsaythat)

In fact Sasha just reblogged one from this same site and said it wasn't true.

Ya know, it amazes me how superstars/divas are reblogging these on twitter/tumblr or whatever and saying how there is no truth but yet everyone takes them so seriously. It's from the horses mouth that they're not. (inb4theymadethemsaythat)

Just like TNA has never had pay issues according to people currently working for them, right?

I sincerely doubt this is true, because anyone could make this up and pass it off as news, but he's right. The only person who has a chance of reaching maybe a Jericho/Jeff Hardy posistion is Balor and that's simply due to the body paint. Balor himself has the personality of a toaster.

NXT is a niche market. It's targeted towards fans like us. WWE is a worldwide, publicly traded company. Simply having great "workrate" isn't good enough to be a top star of the company, and it really has always been that way.

Corbin could maybe, maybe be a decent Midcard heel, but there is not a single person currently employed by WWE that's good enough or over enough to replace Cena. That's partly their fault, partly just how it is, honestly.

Ambrose could probably reach HBK/Bret levels if they'd book him right, but he's lost so many times in the Main Event that I dunno if it'd be possible at this point. He should have built himself in the Midcard, but as I've said before, the Midcard is meaningless these days.

Reigns is damaged beyond repair at this point. He barely even made it out of the gate before the crowd cut from under him.

Rollins is a weird case. He's proven to not be a draw, but heels rarely are. If they turn him face, I could see him taking a comfortable early Jericho position in the company.

I sincerely doubt this is true, because anyone could make this up and pass it off as news, but he's right. The only person who has a chance of reaching maybe a Jericho/Jeff Hardy posistion is Balor and that's simply due to the body paint. Balor himself has the personality of a toaster.

NXT is a niche market. It's targeted towards fans like us. WWE is a worldwide, publicly traded company. Simply having great "workrate" isn't good enough to be a top star of the company, and it really has always been that way.

Corbin could maybe, maybe be a decent Midcard heel, but there is not a single person currently employed by WWE that's good enough or over enough to replace Cena. That's partly their fault, partly just how it is, honestly.

Ambrose could probably reach HBK/Bret levels if they'd book him right, but he's lost so many times in the Main Event that I dunno if it'd be possible at this point. He should have built himself in the Midcard, but as I've said before, the Midcard is meaningless these days.

Reigns is damaged beyond repair at this point. He barely even made it out of the gate before the crowd cut from under him.

Rollins is a weird case. He's proven to not be a draw, but heels rarely are. If they turn him face, I could see him taking a comfortable early Jericho position in the company.

I sincerely believe a lot of guys in NXT have exactly what it takes to be "good enough" to be a top start in the WWE. But how would one ever find out if WWE does not try? And I don't mean calling guys up to put them into a test program or two and then lowering them to the rank of jobber. But actually getting behind those talents, whether Vince likes them or not, and give them the time and space to work. More than a few of the guys down in NXT will probably show Vince and fans of a similar mindset like yours, that they have exactly what it takes to be top stars in WWE. A lot more than a great workrate.

Vince is right, though. Regardless of how much we're sick of him - none of the NXT guys could've, can or will bring in Cena-levels of cash for WWE.

Uh Cena didn't bring Cena levels of cash at that point in his career either so it's pretty stupid for people to keep saying this.

Heck there was a time that Vince saw nothing in John Cena at all also so what does that tell you?

Stars have to be built up.

She also said Meltzer needs a life when he reported her having an injury. Then she was off of TV and live events for multiple weeks. Then Meltzer reported Rusev was working on a tweaked knee, Rusev denied that and was randomly wearing a knee pad on the one knee at the next house show. Don't take wrestlers' words more truthfully than the reports'.

Archived