Unpopular Wrestling Opinions X

Ernez

Not gonna quote two posts, but the thing I don't understand is there've been plenty of guys that "were booked like shit" and got over. Kalisto isn't over. How many people do you see doing the lucha chant or massive pops from the crowd? So many guys were champions that had awful booking and still remained over with the crowd. But why does he get a pass? Because you like his moves more?

Look at Sandow. Dude was made out to be a joke and became beloved for it. People fought for Bryan. Ambrose. If you guys choose to ignore that because you like him, that's on you. But he shouldn't get a pass.

He needs to improve his mic skills, do something differently on the mic. Just because he has to follow orders from creative doesn't mean he can't do a good job at it. Because if he's sucking at what he's being told to deliver then he's to blame too.

I didn't realise we were talking about him being over ... like. Sure, he isn't hugely over as champion, he was more over while he was chasing the title.

HOWEVER, that can still be put down to his booking. He's only been put in matches that not even WWE care about so why should the fans? That isn't his fault. He does need to improve in some areas, but does that mean that he flat out sucks? No. His moves have nothing to do with ... although actually, his moves help him get over. Same with Neville. When WWE and creative actually invest time into him by using him in actual title feuds and no more bullshit nonsensical matches then we can fairly judge him as sucking or not. Because as of right now, it is BARELY his fault.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not gonna quote two posts, but the thing I don't understand is there've been plenty of guys that "were booked like shit" and got over. Kalisto isn't over. How many people do you see doing the lucha chant or massive pops from the crowd? So many guys were champions that had awful booking and still remained over with the crowd. But why does he get a pass? Because you like his moves more?

Look at Sandow. Dude was made out to be a joke and became beloved for it. People fought for Bryan. Ambrose. If you guys choose to ignore that because you like him, that's on you. But he shouldn't get a pass.

He needs to improve his mic skills, do something differently on the mic. Just because he has to follow orders from creative doesn't mean he can't do a good job at it. Because if he's sucking at what he's being told to deliver then he's to blame too.

well I can't blame anyone for not doing the lucha chants. I think it was ridicolous from day one. Yet...I was surprised that it was over for a short time.

how do you mean get a pass? I don't think "being over or not" is the main base of critique for a fan?

In my opinion, yes, Kalisto sucks on mic. But does he have a gimmick? "Oh look, he is a small mexican luchador. He will be THE UNDERDOG! It worked with Rey Mysterio so it must work for him also!" and..."Yes, Luchador...hmm a chant... LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!" Ok, maybe it was his idea, but I doubt it, but still it was passed by creative...tough again...it started in NXT which kinda boggles me...but still...it's not main roster.

I think he is over while in ring and when he has a great match, that's his only way of getting over actually for the time being.

And yes, he "gets a pass" (still not sure what you mean by that) because he is entertaining and really good in the ring.

I can easily sum up Kalisto, his U.S. title reign and practically 95% of the roster in one simple sentence:

"Wins and losses don't matter."

I hate that train of thought, but that's what WWE does.

Wins & Losses only matter when WWE wants them too. They mattered for Rusev's undefeated streak, but did Wyatt's multiple PPV losses really mean anything to them? Not really, he could have been in any position they put him in.

Kalisto is unfortunately a victim of the WWE machine. All the talent in the world, even moreso than Rey Mysterio in his prime, but simply the way they've gone about him and his run has left too much to be desired. I can be, and still am, an enormous fan of the guy, but he's another case of the WWE starting someone off strong and then dropping the ball and not giving enough of a shit to pick it back up.

CM Punk had an amazing career, had one of the longest WWE championship reigns in history, and won almost every title in the WWE, multiple MiTB winner, and most of all had moments that will stick with a particular generation of wrestling fans. And of course his story in general is rather amazing for wrestling business.

Yet people say that WWE screwed him over. Well...I agree. They did crew him over with his last title reign and they screwed over the fans. As ih was said, his reign was memorable due to its longevity, and I started to like it only after he turned heel, just for his promo work. Which you can say it was repetative, but that was the point of it, and it had style and it had substance. Yet, since they knew a whole year or even longer in advance. they didn't try to make his feuds important, because they knew they didn't have to. The Rock doesn't need to dethrone a magnificent champion to build him up, his build is already there. So I guess their logic was that...and: "oh let's try to elevate some other feuds in the process, give them meaning". Well cool, that's a great idea, they needed that. But you don't do it in a way that makes your MAIN CHAMPIONSHIP look like a prop.

And above all else, you've finally built another main event star, CM Punk. You have him held your most prestigious championship for the longest time, and he gets beat by The Rock, in a really cringey way I might add. Not only did the The Rock appear only couple of times until his match on WM, but he actually shitted on the whole main roster. Nobody can beat the guy, but The Rock can! So Rock is also better than the whole main roster (yet he can't have a 20 min match). So John Cena had to win the royal rumble AGAIN to main event WM (AGAIN), and win the WWE championship to have his absolution for "a really bad year". No mention of CM Punk at all in that feud. YES it should have been a triple threat...

I could complain how they could have him at least beat Undertaker to end the streak, because it was obviously a personal and tense feud (to a degree), but ok, I can see why they didn't do that, can't blame them that much honestly.

The point is, it was very short term thinking. Championship picture the next year was horrible, apart Bryans a couple of minutes reign and his takeover at the end of the season. While that whole year could have have been much more interesting, and they could have made more money longterm.

So, yeah they screwed CM Punk, they screwed over the fans and almost screwed over themselves (but that's not an easy thing to do).

It's likely more because they didn't give a shit about Punk. Despite being the main title champ, Punk was seen as second fiddle to Cena, who *censored*ing main evented against LAURINAITIS over the champion. It's almost as if they gave Punk the title to shut people up, but they never planned on making him seem as more important, more important than Cena anyway.

I like the Vaudevillains, but I really wish they'd get some sort of Vaudeville rock inspired theme song.

I just wish they kept their theme from their last NXT run.

This might been an unpopular opinion but "A Quicker Accomplishment" is my favourite theme that The Vaudevillains had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rfoCphaaPc

I didn't realise it until after they were called up because I was just worried about them being used right but...Enzo & Cass really need to change up their shtick to stop them becoming stale.

I like the Vaudevillains, but I really wish they'd get some sort of Vaudeville rock inspired theme song.

This might been an unpopular opinion but "A Quicker Accomplishment" is my favourite theme that The Vaudevillains had.

I didn't realise it until after they were called up because I was just worried about them being used right but...Enzo & Cass really need to change up their shtick to stop them becoming stale.

Sounds way too comical for their current run.

I kind of agree...but Cass his been doing pretty good solo. He cut a promo last week without resorting to any of the usual catchphrases, and it was great.

It's so different seeing someone once every few weeks vs 1-3 times in a week...so hopefully they can adapt.

I honestly to god hate that theme. I love the theme everyone hates though. I just wish it was louder.

Archived