Unpopular Wrestling Opinions X

Ernez

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daniel Bryan was terrible but Bryan Danielson was great.

Ziggler was never worthy of a main event spot. Being a good seller doesn't make him a main eventer.

The New Day sucks and will be driven into the ground aoon.

:lol: The last one makes it sound like a threat. Like you're going to do it, personally

So i'm watching 2002 PPVs and is it just me or do titles just not seem so important? it might just be because im looking in hindsight but these title matches just dont have the same feeling that i remember from 2005 onwards. I mean the WWE title is changing at basically every PPV..

Idk just looking for input from people who watched WWE regularly in 2002.

Nah, titles don't seem important, they prioritize the wrestlers over the title. John Cena main evented many times over WWE champ Punk, and they had Punk lose the WHC by being unable to defend it due to savage beating. Then you have IC and US titles who kept losing matches on the main shows but somehow were able to defend their titles on PPVs, and it took Cena to start bringing credibility back to the US title. If I recall, the IC title main evented when Rock was the champion but now, you don't know if it will be on the pre-show or on the PPV. Most of the titles are treated like jokes or afterthoughts, unless the wrestler/s are supported by WWE (like Cena).

Ziggler was never worthy of a main event spot. Being a good seller doesn't make him a main eventer.

Eh, Daniel Bryan's character was terrible, but in the ring he was still pretty watchable even when I felt he did the same or similar things almost every match.

well, if not his character then his booking.

Victoria is overrated.

Definitely. She was a stand out talent in a pile of shit-division (minus Mickie James), but otherwise just your average wrestler.

Wow, *Censored* you guys.

Just kidding, but I seriously disagree.

1.) Probably not unpopular.

2.) Ziggler is way more than a great seller.

3.) New Day already suck

Victoria is overrated.

Definitely. She was a stand out talent in a pile of shit-division (minus Mickie James), but otherwise just your average wrestler.

Wow, *Censored* you guys.

Just kidding, but I seriously disagree.

It's untrue in general unless he's referring to the divas division before Victoria left. Otherwise Victoria in her prime was working with dozens of quality talent. Melina, Gail Kim, Trish, Lita, and Molly Holly to name a few other then Mickie.

Yeah i was thinking that (im up to Vengeance now), when Hogan won it, it was about Hogan, not the title, when Undertaker had it, it was about the feud, he just was sort of holding the title while feuding.

Yeah it definitely came off as "oh Hogan wants the title again, even though it makes Zero sense". Hogan V Taker as you say had enough history without involving the title. In fact the Heavyweight title seems like a prop for the rest of the year from Vengeance. (which is just before Summerslam I think which basically was booked around Shawn's comeback)

Not having Owens vs Zayn at WM32 is a good decision. For their first match at Mania, it should be in a long feud built up over time and hopefully for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship.

It also means they can flesh out their feud post-Mania.

^ My thoughts in the show discussion thread.

I know Zayn/Owens for IC title is what everyone wants to see, but Zayn hasn't even been on the main roster for a full month yet. I know they could easily just build up a match for them based off their history in NXT, but I think it would need more a slow build-up over time for an event like WrestleMania.

Also, having a multi-man match is a good and easy way to get lesser known/popular guys on the card and prevent them from being left out.

That seems very likely.

Having Owens and Zayn 1v1 for the title at Mania a month in to his debut would seem rushed.

I would've been fine with it happening. I want them to face off like, 2 more times at Mania down the line honestly.

Yeah i was thinking that (im up to Vengeance now), when Hogan won it, it was about Hogan, not the title, when Undertaker had it, it was about the feud, he just was sort of holding the title while feuding.

Yeah it definitely came off as "oh Hogan wants the title again, even though it makes Zero sense". Hogan V Taker as you say had enough history without involving the title. In fact the Heavyweight title seems like a prop for the rest of the year from Vengeance. (which is just before Summerslam I think which basically was booked around Shawn's comeback)

Yeah they had a long amazing brawl between HHH and HBK, then followed it up with a match half the length between Brock and Rock. Which had been build up by history as an amazing crowning moment for Lesner.. but it was half Heyman interfering so canon wise Brock would never have beaten the Rock if it weren't for Paul. Title matches just feel strangely lifeless

Yeah they had a long amazing brawl between HHH and HBK, then followed it up with a match half the length between Brock and Rock. Which had been build up by history as an amazing crowning moment for Lesner.. but it was half Heyman interfering so canon wise Brock would never have beaten the Rock if it weren't for Paul. Title matches just feel strangely lifeless

Brock beating Rock for the title five months after debuting is still huge though.

Brock beating Rock for the title five months after debuting is still huge though.

Of course, i'm not denying that, so far that is the match that has given the World Title the most respect. But now watching Lesner vs Undertaker and again, they are really having a personal match that happens to have the title on the line.

Seems that the tagline for 2002 could have been "It isn't about titles, this is personal"

Ryback should have beaten Punk at Hell in a Cell. Is that unpopular?

The Miz was a great champion who got reactions but was derailed by a feud with Jerry Lawler.

I agree with the Ryback opinion and I am a huge fan of Punk and at the time I didnt want Punk to lose. Ryback was so over with the crowd and it would have been fresh. Ryback should have beat Henry at Mania 29 too.

Archived