The Official Movie Discussion thread

M3J

Avatar - the highest grossing movie of all time, but without any pop cultural relevance. Its a strange one. It made its money off the 3D gimmick. I cant see these sequels doing nearly as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Avatar - the highest grossing movie of all time, but without any pop cultural relevance. Its a strange one. It made its money off the 3D gimmick. I cant see these sequels doing nearly as well.

Plottwist: The sequel will be 4D.

I think he said hes feeling superhero fatigue or something along those lines. Which Ive been feeling too, so I get it. I dont think he hates the genre as a whole. He was one of the first guys to really try to get a Spider-Man movie off the ground, and Alita was a huge passion project of his and that was based on a manga.

Did he really? Articles have been quoting him saying he's tired of the Avengers or MCU churning out movie after movie.

Wouldn't be surprised if a sequel did beat Avatar, if Cameron continues to focus on the visuals. That was one of Avatar's strengths, if not its only strength, honestly.

I dont know if the Avatar sequels will do AS well as the first, but Im certain theyll do well. Most big movies like that do insanely well in a December release slot. I would have never gussed Aquaman would break a billion, but looking back what was it competing with? Avatar 2 will have like two whole months where it will probably be the only big movie worth seeing. Until mid-February or so when studios start putting out their good movies, people who want to see a giant CGI cluster*censored* will have to get that fix through Avatar. The Chinese market will probably like it a lot, seems up their alley. Disney marketing will certainly help. And honestly the every other year release schedule will keep it fresh in public conscience where Id predict a third one does even better than a second, given the second one is quality.

I don't know if you guys watched the movie Upgrade or not but if you like good action, nice plot twists partially wicked and brutal deaths then you will be very entertained by this one. :)
Here a Trailer of it:

I watched Vera Chytilovas film Dasies yesterday. An instant favorite. One of the most batshit crazy movies Ive ever seen. Hausu-levels of cinematic anarchy. It absolutely rules.

I still haven't seen Daisies myself, but if you're interested in seeing more imaginative Czech cinema, you definitely gotta check out Jan Svankmajer.

I think he said hes feeling superhero fatigue or something along those lines. Which Ive been feeling too, so I get it. I dont think he hates the genre as a whole. He was one of the first guys to really try to get a Spider-Man movie off the ground, and Alita was a huge passion project of his and that was based on a manga.

Did he really? Articles have been quoting him saying he's tired of the Avengers or MCU churning out movie after movie.

Wouldn't be surprised if a sequel did beat Avatar, if Cameron continues to focus on the visuals. That was one of Avatar's strengths, if not its only strength, honestly.

Why are you italicising the name?

Avatar banked a lot on its visuals, but you know who else does that now? Every movie with Marvel or Star Wars in the title. They also have the franchise supporting them and name value. What can Avatar 2 do to set itself aside from them and others? Cant promote the *Censored* out of 3D anymore. 3D was why it made all that money, it was the first big movie to put 3D with hyper technology. That technology is the norm now.

The movie will do well enough, but its never going to bank 2 billion+, especially when certain movies have Avengers in the title.

Edited by Creepia

Why are you italicising the name?

Avatar banked a lot on its visuals, but you know who else does that now? Every movie with Marvel or Star Wars in the title. They also have the franchise supporting them and name value. What can Avatar 2 do to set itself aside from them and others? Cant promote the *Censored* out of 3D anymore. 3D was why it made all that money, it was the first big movie to put 3D with hyper technology. That technology is the norm now.

The movie will do well enough, but its never going to bank 2 billion+, especially when certain movies have Avengers in the title.

Because you're supposed to italicize movie titles...

If the sequel has some sort of groundbreaking technology like the first one did, then it's very likely. Or actually have a decent plot for once and use the first one's hype.

Guest Fight Me.

Just seen the first John Wick yesterday. Twas fun, felt the way he killed off the main two bad guys was underwhelming but also realistic. Gonna watch John Wick 2 later (hopefully), expecting it to be leaps and bounds better.

Edited by Fight Me.

Just seen the first John Wick yesterday. Twas fun, felt the way he killed off the main two bad guys was underwhelming but also realistic. Gonna watch John Wick 2 later (hopefully), expecting it to be leaps and bounds better.

Watching the two (almost) back to back is going to make the experience even better

Edited by LEGION

You're late on this too...... The movies are fun, and I particularly enjoy John's interactions with others, usually those who aren't his enemies yet. The sequel is probably better because as far as I recall, it has more action scenes and starts out with one as well.

Sheeit, I thought I was the last person on the planet to see John Wick. I need to get on that

Haven't seen Fury Road either, but not exactly like I peeped the original either

Edited by WNX

Guest Fight Me.

You're late on this too...... The movies are fun, and I particularly enjoy John's interactions with others, usually those who aren't his enemies yet. The sequel is probably better because as far as I recall, it has more action scenes and starts out with one as well.

No, yeah, I'm bad. Everything I've watched this year is maybe 5-10 years old. :lol: JW 2 was fun, now I'm going Friday night to see 3.

Sheeit, I thought I was the last person on the planet to see John Wick. I need to get on that

Haven't seen Fury Road either, but not exactly like I peeped the original either

Fury Road was good. The original was great.

No, yeah, I'm bad. Everything I've watched this year is maybe 5-10 years old. :lol: JW 2 was fun, now I'm going Friday night to see 3.

Excellent. Let us know how it is!

Guest Fight Me.

Detective Pikachu was great. I had to accept early on that it was gonna be a kids movies, but fun nonetheless. It perfectly captured the world of Pokemon and mashed up with out world. I can't think of another video game movie that's successfully done that.

Also saw John Wick 3 last night. I think most will find it the best one of the three, definitely is in terms of action and it continues to innovate with its the fight choreography. As well as doing a good job of expanding on this universe they've created. Personally, I think the first one is best, mainly cause it has less talking and more action. That's just me though and like I said most will find 3 the best one tho. Definitely recommend everyone see it and go watch it in a Dolby cinema. Really added to the movie just feeling every move lol

Detective Pikachu was one of the most insane things Ive seen in theaters. Sort of reminded me of the live action Scooby Doo movies. I didnt think it was good, but I respect it for being so weird. The entire third act was so *censored*ing silly that I was just laughing uncontrollably at the climax this mystery led to.